Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
    Lettuce pie...mmmmm Eyes of Wolf's Avatar
    Oooh, scary! But. If it's just people from other colleges who say that, they're probably jealous...it might almost be motivational, seeing other people in your college all constantly working.

Oh, I know! But the catching up is such an enormous pain...especially on days when I have four subjects.

Well, we'll see. Hopefully it shouldn't be an issue. Nearly got everything done with UCAS now and it has to be sent off by the 15th, so I won't have to worry about that aspect of it for too much longer.

I know...

I can't believe it's October already. How dare time not bow to my every whim?

✫High Bard of the Reading ServalSpirit's Avatar
    Guess what!!!!! Life of Pi is being made a movie, coming out in November. So excited!!!! Aaaaaand the best part......the main character's last name is SHARMA Muahahahaha

I know!! I'm pretty excited about it, got to say, though I read the book a veeery long time ago so I don't remember all that much about it...

This might prompt me to finally read 'Life of Pi', which could only be a good thing!

And yes, I've always thought it was a bit strange that Alison called the Nameless One Sharma, given that it's actually a pretty common Indian surname...

I've certainly known quite a few people with Sharma as a surname...

Yes, me too.

On another note, I'm not sure I can deal with this shiny new format!

Far too modern and 21st-century for me.

Indeed it is...

Are you doing anything nice over half term?

Oh god, I worked so much. Had to prepare a lecture for my English class on five books; spent several hours on it. We're having interim assessments this week, and I just haven't had time to revise because I've spent all my time during the holidays on homework. :/ But I did go skiing for two days! Which was brill, but deprived me further of revision time...You?

That sounds ... fun ... Hope the assessments went well. My half term was mixed in that I went on a school trip, which was great, and then spent the rest of it stressing about work without actually doing much of it . It seems a very long time ago now, though.

This week has been a bit of a mad rush with admissions tests and submitting essays for universities, but it's calming down a bit now, thank goodness. And this morning's news was certainly a relief.

Oh wow, where'd you go? I know, it feels like ages since the half term - and even longer since I was actually at school. Doesn't feel very real somehow.

Oh yes, how was the test? Agreed on this morning so hard - suddenly my tests didn't seem so awful, and my entire form (including the true blue Tories) had a party and hugged each other before registration. I think we're almost too invested in America.

We just went over to the Continent for a bit. It was brilliant, but you're right, it seems like years ago now.

The test wasn't too bad, but I think other people will have thought so too, so we'll just have to see. I'm mainly happy that it's over.

I think you're right that in some senses we're too invested in America, and it gets to me that we always give their news higher priority. But in this case it would have made such a difference that I think it's justified. And in the absence of inspiring, less centralised politics over here, it's understandable that we pay more attention to America.

Just got back my first Greek composition test. NOT wonderful. Luckily my other scores bumped my overall grade up to an A, but I'm seriously embarrassed by some of the weird things I got wrong!

I definitely think it's justified! Really, British politics can get so uninspiring and unimaginative. As much as I'd hate it if Romney had actually somehow won, that element of risk and a real choice between very different candidates was exciting.

The thing about prose composition is that you get a lot better at it over time. And it really makes you think about how the language works, which means you get better at unseens too. I know it feels ridiculously hard initially, and I still mysteriously forget the words for 'to say' and 'to go' as soon as I have a test on it, but practice really makes a difference. It will force you to learn declensions, though.

Exactly - it feels like there's much more at stake. (And, um, I know I brought this up, but I just remembered that this site has a ban on talking politics, so maybe we should stop it there...)