Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comic Novice

Fanboy Extraordinaire! Warewolf's Avatar
    blahginger,

Being in to sci-fi/space opera, I have a hunch that you might enjoy a couple of titles being published by Crossgen which fit this category: Sigil, Crux, and Negation. I think it would be easier for you to go check out the trade paperbacks of these rather than have me try to explain the plot to you. Crossgen is doing a lot of stuff outside of the standard superhero genre. They've also got a couple of good fantasy titles (Scion and Sojourn), a mystery title set in a Victorian England-like world (Ruse), a samurai epic (The Path), and a kung-fu HK cinema type title (Way of the Rat). All of these are well written, well drawn, and the inking, coloring, and printing are outstanding.

Good luck to you.

PS The ongoing Star Wars series from Dark Horse is also very enjoyable.

Carmichael
    The visual appeal, perhaps?
    Probably has a lot to do with it. Waids a great writer, but Ross's artwork . . . WOW.
    On the other hand, I have noticed that among the crew I work with at school, that though they all like and read comics, few if any, like to read actual books. Too much effort for them I suppose.

coffee ninja

another beginner question

Thank you Warewolf I will add these to the list.

One thing that I get hung up about when looking at comic books is the fact I will be joining the story line mid way through the plot. Is it common to have to buy up 6 or 7 previous issues once you figure out that a certain story is good?

Banned
    Originally posted by Carmichael

Probably has a lot to do with it. Waids a great writer, but Ross's artwork . . . WOW.
    On the other hand, I have noticed that among the crew I work with at school, that though they all like and read comics, few if any, like to read actual books. Too much effort for them I suppose.

Have patience my good friend. Comics will one day lead them to books. It was the same with me. Then again, I was reading both at the same time, but you can always hope.

The Doctor is in.
    I completely agree with the trade paperback route - that's almost all I buy anymore. Even when a miniseries (like Wolverine Origin or the new Dark Knight) comes out that I would like, I wait for the TPB form - the entire story in one book, no digging into my boxes, etc. Granted, they don't have the "collector potential" but who cares. That said, some of my favorite TPB runs are:
    Preacher
    Starman
    Astro City
    Hitman
    Batman - Red Rain and Rhas Al Ghul trilogies (I guess these are acutally graphic novels, and not TPB)
    Also, the Mercenary (by Segrelles) graphic novels are pretty neat.

I think Spiderman is probably the most well-rounded comic out there. I mean, there are great plots, sad deaths, great characters, and even some beautiful artwork. You should definetely try it out. Stay away from all those horror ones, they'll make you hate the comic biz, trust me.

Powers was mentioned. I'd also like to mention Alias.

PHP Code:
    Powers was mentionedId also like to mention Alias
    I would also reccomend The Authority, and anything by Paul Pope. Check out Heavy Liquid, available in Trade paperback, and 100%, which is on sale now. You will not be dissappointed.

Fanboy Extraordinaire! Warewolf's Avatar
    You should also do yourself a favor and go pick up the first The Walking Dead trade. It collects the first six issues for $10. Very VERY excellent zombie series, but with more focus on the characters and their interactions and how they deal with their situation, rather than on the zombies.

For current superhero titles I'd recommend:

1. JSA
    2. Superman/Batman by Loeb
    3. Hellboy
    4. Amazing Spiderman
    5. Ultimate Spiderman
    6. Strange
    7. Astonishing X-Men
    8. JLA
    9. Marvel Knights 4
    10.Teen Titans

(and Y the Last Man for just a plain good sci-fi read and the current Conan by Dark Horse is GREAT!)

A bit of the older stuff(or recently ended series) that I like:

1. Starman
    2. Sandman
    3. Sandman Mystery Theatre
    4. Lone Wolf and Cub
    5. Badger
    6. The Tick
    7. Sojourn
    8. Negation
    9. X-O Manowar
    10.Eternal Warrior

And good trades/graphic novels:

1. Kingdom Come
    2. Batman: Year One
    3. The Golden Age
    4. Starman
    5. Watchmen
    6. Batman: The Long Halloween
    7. Justice League: A New Beginning
    8. Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller
    9. A Superman For All Seasons
    10.Punisher: Welcome Back, Frank

Promethea by Alan Moore is quite good, as well as Sin city. I also liked Aria.
    Another comic to take a look at is Witchblade, this comic broke rules in the mainstream industry when it came out as it deals with a more supernatural twist rather then the usual "I am the alien tyrant to destroy all universe, all bow before me"

If you want to investigate more unusual takes on superhero-type stuff, then I'd highly recommend Supreme Power (now available as a big trade). It's great space opera stuff, with clever twists on the classic DC characters and told in a very interesting fashion.

Other comics I've enjoyed over the years and would highly recommend:

Fables
    Midnight Nation
    Gotham Central (it's set in Gotham, but hardly has anything to do with Batman. Think NYPD Blue....which just happens to be set in Gotham)
    Watchmen
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (don't let the film put you off)

From Hell is also impressive, although not exactly easy reading.

Suggestion

I highly reccomend picking up the Trade Paperback of the
    first run of Ex Machina. Well written intelligent read!

I know I'm the Editor and all, but....

Actually, just read what Kater has to say and decide for yourself!

http://www.sffworld.com/crevoff/3.html

You won't regret the investment. It's indi, fantasy and sci-fi, and it's a little revolution.

www.mamtor.com

Cheers Liam.

....and Mr. Sharp has a good looking, at least based on the first issue, series right now from Vertigo - Testament. Interesting feel on this one, I get a Philp K. Dick/Orwellian vibe with great art.