Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comic Novice

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    Amazon had quite a while variety of "graphic novels" or trade paperbacks. Some of older ones or ones non-major publishers take a little bit of time to arrive but it's not a majory problem.

Thankfully I've got a large local comic shop where I live as well as a Forbiden Planet (who I find don't have a massive range of comics and over charge). I still by the monthly releases but only of a few titles, most of the time I'll stick with the trades.

I'd personally suggest Marvel's Runaways and Powers as two atypical superhero themed comics.

There are quite a few Star Wars releated comics if you like you Space Opera that's normally a good place to start.

Sure they have been mentioned before but the Sandman graphic novels are brilliant + Sin City - only read the 1st one i'd imagine the rest are of a similar quality

Flip though a couple of B&W trades -the Marvel Essentials in your neighborhood store.Especially Essential Fantastic Four :Volumes 3 & 4

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...lance&n=283155

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...Fencoding=UTF8

To me, they are what comics are, and ever will be, all about.

Apart from that...

The Watchmen would be my #1 pick for your stated needs, and has been mentioned here by several posters already.

I'd like to mention a couple of projects more off the beaten track that turned out to be worth the trouble,if you find you get the taste for the comic thing:

The Nevermen and The Nevermen:Streets of Blood by Phil Amara and Guy Davis

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156...lance&n=283155

Titans:Scissors Paper Stone
    A very peculiar, very well done Elseworlds one-shot by Adam Warren.Not long, but definitely feels epic.
    Excellent read for an SF audience.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156...lance&n=283155

John Smith who also wrote Hellblazer, wrote a limited series run of on the Vertigo take on The Scarab that was really out there. That's something of a hunt to find though. Worth the trouble, IMO. I think it was 8 issues, and a trade. The individual issues might be easier to find at this point.Drawn by Scott Eaton.

I should also mention the Wildcard series of books. Not comics, but clearly with comics in mind. Sort of retake on the whole XMen mutant thing. I thought it was very entertaining.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...lance&n=283155

But everyone is such a George R R Martin fan, you might be all over this already.

I would also add that just about anything written by John Ostrander and Tom Peyer, will more than likely be entertaining. These guys are not mentioned as much as the big guns -people like Moore, Morrison, and Gaiman for instance, but I almost always like their take on things. Good writing.
    Last edited by ArthurFrayn; May 30th, 2006 at 01:35 PM.

Destroyer of Narutards Naru-Rin's Avatar
    You should read Death Note, or Akira. Death note may not be that long, but it is epic as HELL. There are no samurai, no giant fighting robots, and is as realistic as manga gets, save the whole 'whoever is written in this note dies' business. Every chapter is either extremely human, or is epic enough to keep me reading. BTW, it's a manga. And if you can, avoid chapter 108. It's the VERY last chapter, and it just plain sucks.
    ---
    Naru-Rin, the ginkitsune

Who Watches the Watchmen? thefalcon's Avatar

V, Drizzt, and Alucard...oh my!

Want a really good story? Try V for Vendetta, featuring everyone's favorite antihero: V! It's better to read the graphic novel before you see the movie, (Which is excellent too!) But if you've already seen it, you'll still enjoy the graphic novel. Lots of intrigue, some (dark) humor, lots of Shakespeare quotes. And lets face it: V is right. About everything. His methods are just a bit...different. Some people shy away from this graphic novel because it seems to support terrorism- but even though V is a terrorist, this could not be further from the truth. The theme of V for Vendetta is standing up for what is right, even if you're standing alone, and also that people who have the ability to make a change for the better have the obligation to make that change.

More goodies are the amazing adaptions of the Drizzt Do'Urden books by R. A. Salvatore. Normally, I'm not a big book-to-graphic-novel-adaptation fan, but these are actually good! They've only adapted the first three (or maybe four) books of the series, but for fantasy fans who want a good adventure with an awesome lead character, the Legend of Drizzt graphic novels are what you're looking for. (Now, if only we could figure out how to pronounce Drizzt's name...) I'll admit that they can be a bit cheesy at times, but overall, these are great graphic novels...and even better books. Fans of the original novels, and of Forgotten Realms in general, will probably enjoy these more, however.

And of course, what manga/ comic book reccomendation would be complete without...Hellsing! Hellsing is a very dark, more adult manga about a vampire hunting organization in England. It isn't without it's humerous moments...though they are few and far between. The characters and story are well developed, but a few stereotypes are used. However, these add to the story more then detract from it. Also, if you're looking for a manga with a strong female character, then I reccommend Hellsing. This is an adult manga though, and I pity any kid who reads it. Hellsing is my personal favorite. (Rock on, Alucard!)

Other goodies are Hellblazer, and the webcomic Van Von Hunter (A great parody of everything)

For anyone who is genuinely interested in understanding the medium of comics, the 'how' and 'why' they work, then I think Scott McCloud's 'Understanding Comics' and 'Reimagining Comics' are essential reading.

They are also perfect examples in their own right of the distinction between form and content when it comes to comics.

They're sequential art through and through, and use the same devices and tricks as any other comic, but the content is best described as a mixture of philosophy and history.

Beyond that, when it comes to recommendations for comics virgins who want to start strong in the genre, then I think I'd really recommend Art Spiegelman's family autobiography 'Maus' (now published in one volume) and Neil Gaiman's 'The Sandman', which is pretty much timeless.

I rerally enjoyed the first two graphic novel volumes of Dark Horse's "Star Wars Tales". These are simply great reads. If you haven't picked up Sandman -- please do so immediately! Image's Girls is interesting as well.

I recommend:
    Bone
    Marvels
    Kingdom Come

as three great series to get into comics. Bone because it's probably the best fantasy graphic story ever told (imo). And Marvels and Kingdom Come because they both have fantastic flowing artwork and great stories to get you into the Marvel and DC universes.

Dublin, Ireland normally but Brisbane, Australia right now
    I'd suggest Transmetropolitan and Preacher. Really good gateway books and also awesome stories in their own right. I started out with Preacher myself and read Transmet a while after. They also happen to be my favourites.

If your a sci-fi fan at all then Transmet is where its at but to be honest the cyberpunk vibe is secondary to the storyline.

Blog Entries
    If you're looking for something "different", check out Moonshadow and the Sandman series'. Very cerebral and different.

In a more "super hero" vein, but still masterfully written even as a casual fan:

Xmen: God Loves, Man Kills, Thanos Quest/Infinite Gauntlet, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Watchmen, Y: The Last Man.

Complete Stories

I'm keen to read a few graphic novels (after having read the watchmen which I really enjoyed), but the problem I have is knowing which ones are complete storys and which ones require you to have read earlier work first.

Which are the best review sites on the net where I might find out this kind of info?

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    comicbookresources.com
    newsarama.com
    thefourthrail.com
    silverbulletcomicbooks.com
    comiccritique.com

Most of the above are all encompassing sites - news, interviews etc so you may have to search a little bit. If you're in any doubts about something I'm fairly confident I can answer or find an answer to what you're looking for Hope this helps.

Top 10 'Adult' comics.trades
    10. Will Eisner's Contract with god
    9. Palestine
    8. Akira
    7. Lone Wolf and Cub
    6. Understanding Comics
    5. Torso
    4. From Hell
    3. Fortune and Glory
    2. Safe Area Gorazade
    1. Maus
    These ten are all excellent (although Fortune and Glory is by far the weakest). If you are looking for more comics like this, I'd recommend:

Epileptic by David B
    Blankets by Craig Thompson
    Box Office Poison by Alex Robinson
    Black Hole by Charles Burns
    Buddy does Seattle & Buddy does Jersey by Peter Bagge
    Anything by Chris Ware
    Anything by Daniel Clowes.

By favorites of all these are Epileptic and Safe Area Gorazde.

Apart from the top 30 on page 1, I would also recommend Lucifer by Mike Carey (preferable after you've read Sandman) and Y - The Last Man (at least so far - I'm reading it in the HC editions and only two of these has been released so far).

Try reading Lucifer. It is quite nice.

Because I can...
    For non-superhero material:

The Occult Files Of Dr. Spektor
    The Twilight Zone
    (lots of short stories, so if you dislike one strip, you'll be reading another in a couple of minutes)
    Asterix (I find the English translations funnier than the original French)
    Alec by Eddie Campbell
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    Classic's Illustrated Dracula by Nestor Redondo

I would post more, but there are plenty of suggestions already in this thread.