Sci-Fi at The Dying Art

http://dyingartjournal.blogspot.com

Anyone have any comments on the Sci-Fi I published this month? Mr. Morin and Mr. Bieger both contributed some interesting sci-fi and, while I enjoyed it immensely, I was wondering what the greater sci-fi community might think of their pieces.

The stories are "The Management Solution" and "Time Won't Let Me".

My magazine isn't exactly a workshopping session, but I'm always trying to draw commentary on the works I publish from other writers.

Vulture, usually we ask that people asking for critiques use our Story section to put stuff up, not on their website or in a publication. And asking people to go look at a magazine, free or not, is essentially soliciting, which our members prefer not to have in these forums.

I'm going to let it stand for now and people can check out the magazine if they like. I will consult with the staff as to whether the thread can stay or not.

Well, I'd like to play by the rules. How do we ask to move a thread to another section? Can I move it myself?

It's not a matter of moving it to another section mostly, but of whether we're going to have the thread or not. If we keep it, it will probably stay in the Writing forum.

I've checked out Dan's ("Mr. Bieger's") story thus far. A fun read and definetely full of his normal "Dan-ness" (I don't know how to explain it other than that, but I'm sure the other flash fiction folks know what I'm talking about).

Also, I know you didn't ask for critique on the site itself, but I just thought I'd mention - Any way to make the division between stories clearer or a way to jump directly to the stories? Placing the story titles in bold, underlined, or just a solid line break between them wouldn't hurt, and if you can make the stories at the top "clickable" such that it takes you directly to the opening of the story itself... that would be a nice addition (not sure if that's within the capabilities of whichever software you're using).

It's a nice mag you've started out there... good luck to you!

The critique on the site is welcome, so no worries. Those are really good ideas, especially the click-to-story idea (I'm just not sure how to do it). The formatting to make things clearer is a good idea too. I think I'll go bold the titles now.

Dan's story was a really enjoyable read. I didn't know he had other work over in flash fiction, I'll go check that out.

(edit: Just bolded all the story titles. Made a real difference in being able to find them while scrolling around. Thanks.)
    Last edited by vulture987; January 9th, 2010 at 05:07 PM.

The thread remains and in the Writing Forum. The staff feels that since several members are published in the mag and since it's a critique request, that it's within acceptable boundaries. So critique away.