Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You wait 'til you try Kraken

I thought The City and the City was an excellent read. Such a different writing style than previous favourites such as Perdidio Street Station and The Scar, but isn't variety the spice of life? I think Mieville did a fantastic job of making it seem real that two cities could exist in the same physical space.

Just finished Kraken and......I just don't know. I found some parts a little hard going, but that said, I finished it fairly quickly and think back about the story often. A lot of things going on at once (not necessarily a bad thing), and maybe it needed more about Goss and Subby! I think it needs a second read.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    ... and maybe it needed more about Goss and Subby! I think it needs a second read.
    By half way through those two were really beginning to annoy me...

Uh, Moderator
    I thought they were the least imaginative part of the story. We've seen the two henchmen done sooooo many times before that I didn't really feel they were at all interesting.
    Maybe it's time for a Kraken thread.

Quote Originally Posted by StorAll View Post
    I really, really enjoyed The Scar and Perdido Street Station, but am having serious difficulty with this book. I got to part 2, and finally just put the book down because I felt that nothing was happening. I want to finish this book since I enjoyed the other two so much, it's a signed copy and it would be a shame not to finish, and I can't remember the last time I didn't finish a book from not liking it. Can anyone who has read the book tell me if it gets any better?

I had the same problem. I just couldnt get into this story at all. I have enjoyed his other books, and yes I know that they arent what you would call easy reads. But this one seemed so different to anything else. Not a fantasy/horror/sci-fi story at all.