Need help finding book / series / author

Hi all, new here but hoping to make it one of my daily sites. I am desperately trying to find a book that I read part of about 25 years ago but have had no luck searching for it. Hopefully someone here can help out. I don't have a ton of info to go on though...

Anyhow, what I recall, and this is early in the book, is that there is a man who is apparently a thief (maybe assassin? but I am pretty sure a thief) breaking into a house / castle. At some point during the break in he needs to open a door that might have squeaking hinges that could give him away and as he has no oil to spray on the hinges he instead urinates on them to silence them. Also, this thief can apparently turn into a bear or werebear or something like that, but I am almost positive it was bear related. I think he had some sort of talisman or jewelry that helped him to prevent the change into a bear. That is about it. I think that the book was from the 70's or early 80's. Not sure if it was a standalone novel or part of a series. I think that the paperback cover was mostly white with some fantasy related picture relevant to the story. For a while I thought it might be one of the Gor series, but I have not been able to find any mention of a thief that turns into a bear in those so I am not sure.

Oh yeah, and I am not 100% on this, but for some reason I THINK that the castle / house he was breaking into flew or floated in the sky.

I have had no luck with all the search engines for the past couple years. I am hoping someone can help lead me to the right books. Thanks!
    Last edited by Aktunka; March 28th, 2010 at 10:06 PM.

This sounds like 'The Shattered World' by Michael Reaves.

An excellent novel, the protagonist being a shapeshifter and thief called Beorn, the shape he shifts into being a bear. The world itself is indeed 'shattered', comprising numerous islands in the sky, each with their own gravity.

There was a sequel called 'The Burning Realm' but as I recall it was nowhere near as good as the first book.

Mike Barrett

Thanks a ton for the help! I looked up that book and it sounds like the right one. Appreciate the assistance