Need help remembering a book... Djinni and deserts...

Hi,

First off, Hi. I've never posted on these forums. I just recently rekindled my love for fantasy by picking up Jo Graham's Black Ships. That's the first fantasy I've read in about two years. Before that, I read the first few George RR Martin books, but before that I was a kid. As a kid I loved Eddings, Lawhead, and Feist.

When I was a kid I checked out books from the library. If I didn't finish the book by the due date, I had to take them back. Well, I forgot to write down the name of this one.. and bout 10 years later I am trying to remember it!!

All I can remember is that the book had a complex hierarchy of Djinn, Djinni, Efreeti, among other kinds of Genies. The genies interacted with the mortals, and they weren't particularly cliched, as in, "you have three wishes." That is all I really remember.

The only other thing I can remember, and it might not even be from that book, is that the characters had to cross a desert of salt to find some weird temple where everyone had pale skin and specialized in various forms of torture.

Ring any bells?

Wow. Well, I used librarything to do a tagmash search for djinn and fantasy and guess what?

Its The Will of the Wanderer from Weis' Rose of the Prophet series.

http://www.librarything.com/work/62598

Anyone read it? Think I would like going back to it 10 years later?

Yes I read it years ago. Got into fantasy with Dragonlance and read everything by weis and Hickman. It was a long time ago, but I remember that it was ok. Brings up good memories thinking about that time in my life...

I would suggest many other series above that though. Wheel of Time is a great series, although long, its worth the read.

Quote Originally Posted by vociferate View Post
    Its The Will of the Wanderer from Weis' Rose of the Prophet series.

http://www.librarything.com/work/62598

Anyone read it? Think I would like going back to it 10 years later?
    I read it a few years back. I remember I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Unfortunately, my copy seemed to have rather a lot of errors (typos, punctuation, etc). This annoyed me a bit, but wasn't so bad that I didn't enjoy the book.

Although I remember enjoying the series, I don't recall much else than that. Therefore, though it was a good read, it was also a quickly forgotten read.
    Last edited by BrightStar; March 28th, 2010 at 11:48 AM.

Weis and Hickman at their best. Last book seemed rushed though. Trying to fit it all into a trilogy did not help the ending.

My favourite Weiss & Hickman work. It didn't seem to resonate with the fan base at the time, though. Dave Duncan's A Man of His Word series also has Djinn and Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus Trilogy has a rather unique take on the whole concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Seegee View Post
    My favourite Weiss & Hickman work. It didn't seem to resonate with the fan base at the time, though.
    It mystifies me why it didn't. I enjoy Chronicles and Legends but with Rose of the Prophet they let loose and had a romp. Arabian Nights with a mix of Zelazny and pulp romance. The opening is much more energetic than what one usually finds in a fantasy series. Everything else they did after this series seemed drab. Starshield was dreadful and I don't understand how the Death Gate Cycle is more fondly remembered by some---I can only assume they didn't read this series. I guess on reflection it was probably because of the romance angle.
    Last edited by Bond; March 29th, 2010 at 02:53 PM.

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Agree Bond. I loved Rose. That was a long time ago, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about it now. I also thought the final book was rushed. I'd love to see them redo the final novel into two volumes and give the finale the rousing send off the build up deserved.
    Just a fun romp.

I'm with Bond and Radone, it was a lot of fun. It may not have taken off with the fan base, because it was such a departure from what they'd written previously. They've never written anything as good since, either together or separately.