Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    "Hard sf romance" RFLOL, the SF purists just keeled over and died. I think he means space opera. Nice picture. I like her scepter.

I take no credit for the story bits. But glad you like the pix!

Here's another sci fi one. From the game description:

LYRRA SWAN THE TIME AGENT
    Class: Futuristic action hero
    Traits: Short, petite, Caucasian or mixed. Likes pistol weapons.
    Story Stub: The timestream allows passage into the future only, for less than one minute, before it ejects the traveler to the moment of entry. It batters, disorients and even kills those who attempt it. But a special few of the right stature and perfect fitness ride it well. Lyrra, not quite 5 feet tall, is of perfect stature...
    Lyrra dropped from the Void of the stream, isolated in the exact middle of a massive spherical underground chamber over two kilometers in diameter, suspended in mid-air like a miniature black hole. The time warrior fell 300 meters before the recovery bots enfolded her in force-bands and lowered her gently to the receiving platform.
    She stumbled, fell prone. When she forced herself to her feet, she left a streak of blood on the pearl-white floor.
    "Medical!" yelled Overwatch Orniccar, triggering a flurry of activity. Bots rushed to Lyrra, preventing her from falling again, seeking and administering to a jagged wound from shoulder to ribs. Orniccar raced dangerously from the command port through the maze of entangling equipment. He reached her side and inspected the wound himself.
    She sensed his presence, rolled and grasped his arm. "Get someone on Alpha now, Orn -- "she gasped between ragged breaths. "-- five minutes or we have no future..."

Needless to say, trying to actually illustrate the story bit itself in a card image didn't seem doable, so I settled on making up something with her standing in a time machine like device.

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    Oh, yeah, I get it! It's the wrist watch, right?

I'm with KatG on how the purists will react. I can imagine one or two of our regular sffworld-ers having hissy-fits. But, before Her Greatness laughs too hard, isn't that story precisely the meaning of the ancient bromide: behind every good man is a better woman?

Do keep in mind that these story snippets are not aimed at SFF readers, but at gamers, and cover a lot more than just our genre. There's contemporary spy stuff, historical bits, etc. The nature of the game is that it spans pretty much all of human history, as well as fictional things. So perforce the characters and their situations are going to be rather stereotyped, since you need to paint broad swaths in order to have a lot of character differentiation, as well characters whose traits you can immediately identify and apply in a game setting. I'm only including the story bits so you can see what I'm starting with in coming up with a suitable image.

The point behind the watch / communicator is to have her doing something, instead of just standing like a lump.

"Get someone on Alpha now, Orn -- "she gasped between ragged breaths. "-- five minutes or we have no future..."
    Here we have a time traveling agent who is worried about what is going to happen within the next 5 minutes. I think the bots should slap her a couple of times to get her thinking straight, nothing damaging, just enough to shake the cobwebs from her head.
    Then, with respect to the wristwatch, my first reaction was that was what she used to tell what time she was in. This morning, I began to wonder if she was about to take a bite out of it effectively removing that point in time from further consideration?

I think you're getting a little too hung up on the written parts of this... Remember, they're coming from someone else, not me...

Ah, my favorite disclaimer: I'm just the artist, you know. The whole idea was somebody else's fault.

Well, umm, actually that's exactly true. I was hired to produce art, based on what I was provided; not create or develop the characters or their mini-backstories. It's not my place to critique the publisher's material; simply to develop artwork that best fits that material. If I had written a for-hire Star Trek novel, would you chastise me if I didn't "fix" the science in the Star Trek universe? Or would you evaluate the work created within the context of the universe I was hired to write in? This is, after all, the nature of doing work for others, rather than one's own speculative work.

Again, the person who wrote those snippets is not a professional writer; he's a game developer, so let's cut him a little slack. The snippets do not serve a literary purpose and are not meant to be read that way; they're simply intended to give a game player a sense for what that character is like in order to enhance the game play (which play, incidentally, has nothing to do whatsoever with the individual snippets, insofar as I can tell).

My purpose in including the snippets was merely to illustrate what I'm starting with in coming up with the art, since I thought people might find it interesting to see where the inspiration for each piece comes from. However, if we're going to get hung up on critiquing those, then I'll drop them and just post the art.

Actually, I thought both snippets were pretty good. I was just laughing because of the category designation, because hard SF romance is a rather inventive name for space opera, but would set certain hard-headed fans slathering on what I consider pointless diatribes about pure and impure SF.

It's another good picture Kevin; they're getting their money's worth out of you.

Thanks! I didn't mean to sound irritable in my responses; just wanted to keep the focus on the pictures, is all. (Don't want the boss coming by and taking exception to the discussion about the game bits...)

I have three more to go of those that have been assigned to me, one of which is in the revision stage and another in a re-do stage (first concept wasn't what he was after). Both of these are relatively straightforward (a female mage, and a female warrior). The third one is going to be a bit harder: a golden-skinned android. What I've discovered in experimenting is that when you stick a metallic color on an otherwise human shape (i.e., no 'robot' connotations at all, aside from the color), it looks decidedly odd. So I'm not sure where that one is going to go, but we'll see.

Here's two of the three remaining from the original batch.

The first was a hard one; she was described as a golden-skinned android. As I remarked earlier, it was difficult coming up with a completely human figure with a gold skin that didn't just look oddly tanned. Fortunately, the publisher really liked what I came up with (since I'd run out of ideas otherwise!). I wouldn't say this one is one of my favorites, but it did the job, and that's what's important. The character herself was supposed to be portrayed as both naive and helpful (in classic Asimov robot form, one presumes...)

This one was pretty much a straight mage-like figure, surprised on the road in the forest at night and having to fight off an attacker. I had fairly free rein with how to create her, so I just took the setting and worked from there.

The last from the original batch, a fighting woman, is still under review. In the meantime, I've been assigned three more to do, all male characters. I've got one of those done and in for review now.

I like the skin tone of the robot but I wonder why a green sport for the mouth and those enormous red eyes?
    And the mage is one of my favorites of the entire set: expression, stance, magic, all are perfect.

Thank you, sir!

The large and oddly colored eyes were both specific requests from the publisher, as she stared out with rather more normal sized orbs. And the lip color was mostly experimenting. Normal lip shades looked really awful against the gold skin, so I just kept tossing variations on it until I got a reasonable contrast.

Oh cool, the android looks like she's made of marble. Like the mage very much -- will it be okay when they shrink it, though, as it's not a vertical picture as much?

Thanks! I believe the mage will just be lengthwise on the card. The aspect ratio of these pictures is all the same (3:4 or 4:3).