Thread: Only Forward...

Smile Only Forward...

Has anyone else read the philosophical sci-fi brilliance that is 'Only Forward' by Michael Marshall Smith? It's my favourite book ever! Anyone read anymore of his? I'm thinking of picking up 'Spares', but it'd take a lot to beat 'Only Forward', I think.

Sammi x

Not Yet...

I've been hearing good things about his work for some time, just haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Pesonally, I think Spares and One of Us are better than Only Forward. It's been a while since I read it but, from memory, Only Forward had a fairly abrupt change in tone/theme that I didn't particularly like. I've just bought What You Make It - the collection of short stories - which I can't wait to get into.

Yep, it is complex and tone changing in parts, but I loved the ending. I think it needs to be thought about to make sense of, but to me Smith has a great way of defining simplicity into something so devestatingly complicated, that it gives your brain a racking when it needs it. Hmm...or maybe I'm just a complicated person. I'd probably trust in the latter.

I read SPARES and enjoyed it a good deal. I have copies of ONLY FORWARD and ONE OF US but haven't read them yet.