Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Window Bar View Post
    I would like to simply choose one command, such as "Fiction Manuscript," and be done with it; then, assuming I want to create a PDF version for a publisher, choose a "Covert to PDF" command, then maybe a "Internet Publish" command.
    OpenOffice can convert directly to PDF with one click and save. I don't know if it can publish to the Internet because I've never needed it. By "fiction manuscript" do you mean a document style? Those are fairly easy to tweak to your tastes and can be applied through the style window.

I'm a user of OpenOffice, too.

Does what I need just fine

Blog Entries
    then, assuming I want to create a PDF version for a publisher, choose a "Convert to PDF" command, then maybe an "Internet Publish" command.
    Confused a bit here. Never had to produce a PDF for a publisher most have just wanted either a RTF or a straight doc.

I sometimes use open source software such as Openoffice and Google Docs.

Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook View Post
    Never had to produce a PDF for a publisher most have just wanted either a RTF or a straight doc.
    POD outfits often prefer PDF files. From other comments, it sounds as if Open Office does this quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanlanni View Post
    OpenOffice can convert directly to PDF with one click and save. I don't know if it can publish to the Internet because I've never needed it. By "fiction manuscript" do you mean a document style? Those are fairly easy to tweak to your tastes and can be applied through the style window.
    Thanks Jordanlanni & others. This sounds as if its worth a try

Thanks Jordanlanni & others. This sounds as if its worth a try
    I really like OpenOffice. I regularly need to export to .pdf because I use Lulu.com for publishing. Lulu will take a .doc and make it a .pdf but I like to see what the manuscript looks like before uploading...

Well, I don't know abot Word 03 but Word 07 certainly exports to PDF

assuming I want to create a PDF version for a publisher, choose a "Convert to PDF" command
    -- WB
    If you are using a Windows PC, any program that can print can generate a PDF using a PDF Print Service.

I recommend PDF Creator which you install as a printer on your Windows system. When you want to print (from any software you have installed) you select the PDF Creator printer and it comes up with an options menu (including PDF security) and allows you to save the PDF file - simple.

A very useful tool for anyone needing to produce PDFs.

Mike

I downloaded (from the link graciously provided by Shevdon) and started using the program, Roughdraft. So far I really like it. Very simple and very much geared to the requirements put forth by editors. I simply go up to my tool bar and select double spacing and 'bam', I am typing double spaced.

I realize I can do the same with my OpenOffice but I'm too lazy to learn all the commands to get my manuscript to fit all the requirements using it. I find Roughdraft easier as it does it all for me, thus leaving me free to concentrate on what I should be working on. My story.

Thanks Shevdon!

yWriter

I am surprised there's only one mention of yWriter! I believe I found it because of someone on this forum...

I started out using MS Word, but found it really difficult to keep up with a giant word file or multiple files. yWriter is fantastic because it manages your project with scenes and lays it out for you pretty much however you like - you can over complicate it or not as much as you prefer.

The guy who programmed it - Simon Haynes - is an author himself, as is evidenced by a lot of the insights that went into the design of the program. And it's free!

His website also offers oodles of other donation-ware:
    http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5.html

Short answer: I use yWriter 5 for drafting, revision, pretty much all of it.

I just watched the promo vid for yWriter. It looks very interesting. I may download this and try it out. At the very least it is a great tool for outlining.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by baragh View Post
    I am surprised there's only one mention of yWriter! I believe I found it because of someone on this forum...
    I have yWriter all ready to use after my work in TreePad (initial ideas and planning) and VeryRoughDrafting (in Jarte) are well along--then, I'll dump my yWriter work back into Jarte for revisions; then, on to OpenOffice for finalizing.........

I downloaded yWriter and I do like it for organizing my ideas, characters and outlines. Sadly, I cannot actually use it for "writing". However, when used alongside a program like Roughdraft, I do indeed like it.

Forgive us our tristises Tristis's Avatar
    My favourite program is Word Perfect, but they don't make that for Mac anymore. The one I use is Pages (comes packaged in iWork). WP didn't load up my files with code, and allowed me to set the dictionary to Canadian in preferences. With Pages I have to select all/choose Canadian English for each document. Irri-freakin'-tating

But it was worse with Word. I still have Microsoft Word among my applications, but I don't use it.

I'm surprised by the concept that any of these programs can't handle novel length files. None of mine has ever had a problem with large files. A friend of mine writing his doctoral thesis had a bad go of it. But that was in the early 90's. He was using WP running on a Windows PC. Some kind of bug built errors if the file got too big, so his thesis got all broken up into sections.

His problem was that he forgot to make a format template, so all his file settings were essentially random. It's been a long time and a switch to Mac for me.