View Poll Results: Select 1 to 3 stories max between this and other January Flash Fic thread

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Trials of El Gordo by Daddy Darth

3 25.00%
  • Colony by Sean Regan (TheGhost)

1 8.33%
  • Balthazar's Legacy by Jordan Lanni

0 0%
  • Level 3 by Carin Marais (marshwriter)

0 0%
  • The Prisoner (The Continuing Misadventures of Kalgon WonderNot) by Todd Banker (txshusker)

3 25.00%
  • So this guy walks into a bar... by Pete Warner (Hoodwink)

4 33.33%
  • Live free or die by Michael Aaron (Zachariah)

4 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forgive us our tristises Tristis's Avatar

January 2010 Flash Fic Voting Thread B

This is the voting thread (B) for the January Flash Fiction Contest. Here are our submitters and their works. Enjoy. And remember to vote.

The Trials of El Gordo by Daddy Darth

Colony by Sean Regan (TheGhost)

Balthazar's Legacy by Jordan Lanni

Level 3 by Carin Marais (marshwriter)

The Prisoner (The Continuing Misadventures of Kalgon WonderNot) by Todd Banker (txshusker)

So this guy walks into a bar... by Pete Warner (Hoodwink)

Live free or die by Michael Aaron (Zachariah)

The poll is open to everyone, so even if you have not submitted, please give the submissions a read and vote for your favourites.

Reviews are very welcome and encouraged. You can submit comments to the individual stories in the story forum, but I hope you also paste them in the voting thread so they don't get missed.

You have 3 votes to divvy up between the THREE threads.
    You don't have to use all your votes if you only feel one or two stories deserve a vote.
    You can only give one vote per submission.
    Voting ends at something like 3 AM my time, January 30. But for clarity, you should take note of the poll closing date /time for your area.

Good luck to all and may the winner as of January 31 enjoy the splendor of your prize…which is the holding of the next contest.
    Last edited by Tristis; January 22nd, 2010 at 05:12 PM.

The Trials of El Gordo
    This sentence feels off – ‘Just as he started to relax, Gordon inhaled sharply and his heart began racing in his chest.’
    I’d rather the mention of the red haired girl image occur before Gordon’s reaction.
    The final “balls” at the end of the story doesn’t feel quite right with the scene (it is absolutely PERFECT for the first two instances at the beginning of the story).
    I really, really like this story – I was completely wrapped up in it from the get go. I have a few pieces of confusion:
    1) What account deposit is he waiting for at the beginning?
    2) Is he crazy or not? Meaning… does the whole thing take place in his mind, and the scene with the nurse at the end is the only true “real” event?
    3) I was a bit surprised that the “thought exchange” killed the man in welfare office… it felt like he was just trying to strip the man of his thoughts, so the whole killing thing felt… tacked on?
    Not sure what to do about this story. I really want to vote for it, but feel like there are a few things I need to overlook to be able to do so.

Colony by Sean Regan
    This line - ‘You know it, baby’ feels out of place with the rest of his speech.
    Gah, this thing is just so darn close. I absolutely love the text, love the back and forth conversation that gives us little bits and pieces of the characters. I especially liked this line – ‘His fingers fanned out along the curve. Math by touch. "It's like y equals x cubed, or a variation on that," he said.’
    But I don’t get it. The being, with his inquisitive nature and oddly placed naivety… he feels to me like a robot or some other form of AI… that is, in a way, being taught. But that doesn’t sit too well when I look back at the line where the MC says ‘"You don't know math…’
    I’m thrown for a loop here. Just another hint or two and this would quite easily make my final list.

This seems like a strange line – ‘Not even the bodies remained, he remembered.’
    This sentence confuses me – ‘Had Jim stepped aside, he would have happily accepted the job’ - We’re talking about Horizon Beta here, right, not Alpha? This is my major point of confusion, and seems to be with the story… when exactly is “now”? The opening feels like it occurs within hours after Horizon Alpha’s launch, then we flash back to Jim pre-Alpha, then flash back to pre-Beta with his conversation with the other astronauts (which I believe is before the board room meeting), then final end up back in “now” (I think). Okay… I believe I have it all pieced right now, but it took me a bit to get there.
    Overall, there are some decent lines, and the storyline is solid… but the storyline already happened. I would have liked to have something happen in the “now” moment… the board meeting perhaps?

Level 3 by Carin Marais
    '...the future looked bleak.'
    'Bleaker' than the 2 centuries of war past? That struck me a bit odd. I'm also a bit confused why the traders would posion their cash cow, or why no one had travelled to the city in the meantime, given that it was only a few hours away. And the ending confuses me as well - where is the underground city? Had Johan dreamed the place, been gone years instead of hours?
    I really like the concept - the people giving into unfounded fear - but I feel like some of the details needed to be ironed out.

The Prisoner by Todd Banker
    The word “Whippet” (Bart’s last name?) kinda came out of nowhere.
    My major question – Why does Kalgon even show up? Based on the last meeting (I remember the superpowers flash entry) I can’t think that he’d give the Puppetmaster another second of his time. Also… why would anyone be closed in a room with, though powerless, an unshackled prisoner?
    There’s something overall disjointed about this continuation of the prior story. It just doesn’t quite feel right as a standalone.

So this guy walks into a bar... by Pete Warner
    This line threw me – “A kid stands in the street, looking down into his own eyes,…”
    It took until I got to the second occurrence at the end to figure out exactly what went on here.
    Very cool read – showing the outcome of Tony’s two choices. I like how you didn’t have choice #2 come up all roses. It’s a lighter punishment for Tony (and the kid), but still the accident occurs.
    As a side note – I’m not a fan of the title… seems to conflict with the mood of this piece.
    It’s going to make my list of contenders, but feels like a long shot for a vote. Nothing wrong with the piece, just a personal preference for something strange/new (perhaps I’m judging it as too mild based on your past entries? Hopefully I’m not…)

Live free or die by Michael Aaron
    You had me hooked with the beginning: the music, the boat, the advertising, the harpoon, the legal department… but then you lost me completely at the “…we’ve been advised to ram you under the Naval Economic Zone act…” line. It just felt so out of place, a very barbarian resolution for the world you had been building up until this point. I had expected a ton of lawyers, months (years) before resolution… or, heck, taking it the other way, maybe a computer where they input the data of the current conflict and a legal ruling pops out.
    Maybe I’m letting this part bother me more than it should… because the rest of the story is very well done.
    Last edited by Sterling13; January 22nd, 2010 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling13 View Post
    The Trials of El Gordo
    I really, really like this story – I was completely wrapped up in it from the get go. I have a few pieces of confusion:
    1) What account deposit is he waiting for at the beginning?
    2) Is he crazy or not? Meaning… does the whole thing take place in his mind, and the scene with the nurse at the end is the only true “real” event?
    3) I was a bit surprised that the “thought exchange” killed the man in welfare office… it felt like he was just trying to strip the man of his thoughts, so the whole killing thing felt… tacked on?
    Not sure what to do about this story. I really want to vote for it, but feel like there are a few things I need to overlook to be able to do so.
    Thanks Sterling. How shall I answer your questions 3?
    #1 - He was waiting for his social assistance payment to be direct deposited into his acct without which he is left high and dry. No $ for rent, smokes, etc.
    #2 - I was hoping to give the reader some question as to whether he was "crazy" early on. But no in my mind he was not "crazy" - but his actions etc probably/hopefully made him look a little crazy. But I did not want it to be confusing. Fine line I guess.
    #3 - EEEK tacked on. Thats not good. The scene for the confrontation came early on for me and seemed pivotal to me b/c he knew there would be some damage to himself. The man died not so much directly from the psychic powers business but from the physiological response caused by the heightened emotion/thought. The stress caused the heightened BP etc and bingo bango - heart attack or stroke - I dont know which.

Hope this clears things up. Food for thought for me for writing my next story. Clear in my mind may not mean it is clear in the readers mind.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Acchhh! This third vote is killing me. I've considered, and really liked the entries by marshwriter, txhusker and Zachariah, but in the end, my final vote went with................Daddy Darth.

Viva El Gordo!!!

Poll B
    I posted thoughts over in the Stories section but thought I would have a reread and give some additional or at least reiterated thoughts. You’ll never get much out of me for critique in regards to commas, punctuation and their ilk - others do that much better. What I am looking for in terms of casting a vote is a complete tale that gives me an emotional response hopefully and does not snap me out of it with questions or confusion.

The Trials of El Gordo by Me
    A fine bunch of hallabaloo.

Colony by Sean Regan
    Well written story with good dialogue. Thanks for clarifying the title in the stories thread - it helped me understand a little better what you were trying to do. I wish it had moved me more. I did not find myself investing in the characters. I think it may have more to do with where I am in my life vs. where they are in theirs. So I don’t have much to complain about with your story - it just was not a good fit for me.

Balthazar’s Legacy by Jordan Lanni
    I think your story had some real potential and I liked the space exploration idea. I still think it could have been better if told so that Blair had seen the explosion occur and had to react to it and then face the choice.

Level 3 by Carin Marais
    I found the first half of the story kind of awkward with a little too much description and I was not believing in it. But the second half of the story as you moved towards resolution was much better and quite interesting to me especially with the twist where he could not find the entrance and his reaction.

The Prisoner (The Continuing Misadventures of Kalgon Wondernot) by Todd Banker
    I really enjoyed your story - so much so that I glossed over why the boy would go there at all or why he would be let in. I just loved where you went with it and Bart’s action/decision. It felt very evil. Cool character.

So This Guy Walks into a Bar by Pete Warner
    Great writing as always and an inventive way to tell a story in so little time. I did get tripped up with the ghost kid and how you worked that in there. I liked your explanation in the stories section re: the drinks.

Live Free or Die by Michael Aaron
    Another well written story with some fascinating world building of future earth. Objectively it is a great story. I personally could not fully love it b/c of the suicide - though you point out in the stories feedback that for him the other option was also death. I am conflicted about this one but it has nothing to do with the stories quality.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    Acchhh! This third vote is killing me. I've considered, and really liked the entries by marshwriter, txhusker and Zachariah, but in the end, my final vote went with................Daddy Darth.

Viva El Gordo!!!
    Well I for one am relieved Sterling did not counsel you out of casting a third vote (though he makes a good point - I almost cast only 2 last month but I just cant let things go to waste) and that you did not go aquatic either - kidding...mostly. Much appreciation PW.

As always voting hard!! I have one figured out and then there is a tough race. I think there are certainly three deserving of votes this month.

So, I believe you've gotten better at this. I like that you used your own personal knowledge and experience as a social worker. It comes through, making this story seem believable and, in the end, really helped you create a cohesive piece.

There were some run-on sentences and, I think, some misplaced commas, but all in all, good job.

Like Peter said, this piece is thought provoking.

Colony by Sean Regan (TheGhost)

I didn't have anything against this entry save for the fact that I had no idea what it was about. I just ended up really confused by the end.

I think you have a strong narrative voice. I like how you characterize through actions. Over all, I think you have a very economical and strong writing style. I would like to read something else by you. Actually, to be quite frank, your writing actually reminds me of an author I'm currently reading at the moment. (David Weber) Unfortunately, there is a but. . .

This story didn't feel self contained to me. It felt like it was a part of a bigger story. I guess I'm just saying it wasn't flash to me.

I also agree with DaddyDarth's suggestion about more action. I think that would have given it a more complete view and scope. I also think it'd give it more of a complete story sort of thing, y'know? 'cos as of right now, I felt that the story itself was a little flat and a tad uninteresting. (I'm sorry )

I really like your writing, though.

Level 3 by Carin Marais (marshwriter)

Time for me to say it again:

Formatting!

Adding a space between paragraphs and lines of dialogue really help a reader out. Otherwise it's a giant wall of text. This makes it hard for the eye to discern where a thought and idea begin and end.

On to the story:

I'm wondering if you had began this piece at your second paragraph, if it would have given it more punch. It would also have started with the POV of your protagonist, which is always a nice way to introduce your main character. Of course, it's not the only way and this is only a suggestion.

I'm also wondering about the ending... It left me a little confused.

I liked the concept of people hiding out for no reason, though.

The Prisoner (The Continuing Misadventures of Kalgon Wondernot) by Todd Banker

Well, I'm with DailyRich on the philosophical back and forth thing. I'm just not into it for a flash story. And while you brought a twist at the end into it, the bulk of the story was still philosophical banter. Also, I didn't feel that there was any resolution to it.

This is all personal opinion, of course, but for me, as a self contained story, it didn't pan out. Sorry.

So this guy walks into a bar... by Pete Warner (Hoodwink)

I agree with the others about the choice and luck. However, I also got the impression that you were reminding us that choices, either good or bad ones, can often lead us down the same path, or at least a parallel one. He still hit the kid. He still drank and drove either way.

As for how I feel about this entry. . . I'm not quite sure. There's a portion of me that really enjoyed it. That portion is the intellectual part of me. The "I read for entertainment part of me" didn't really like it. But that part of me has to realize that reading shouldn't always be a passive activity. You should exercise the brain every so often.

Well, as I said before I really liked the concept of the legalities. I just didn't like the ending and the whole music thing. And those are personal choices.

EDIT:

In the end, I chose the entries of DailyRich, PeterWilliam, and Sterling13.
    Last edited by NickeeCoco; January 22nd, 2010 at 04:32 PM.

Forgive us our tristises Tristis's Avatar

This is a duplicate post to one you can find in thread A

Okay, so then.

I made a little error in not stating that notice of stories had to be posted in the contest thread and HE has uncovered this oversight with his entry. I trolled the stories section, and the community section first and thought I had fourteen entries. I found fourteen scrolling through the contest thread and that was enough check/balance action for me in the wee hours of morn.

So. HE's story is in the contest and now he has a thread—all to himself, mind you. At this point, you can only review him. If you want to vote for him, just wait a few hours and his poll will open. I'm trying to get it to end at the same time as the others. Since it seems I can only manipulate how many days (rather than hours) I can keep the poll open, I thought it best to wait to the same starting hour.

Colony by Sean Regan
    This line - ‘You know it, baby’ feels out of place with the rest of his speech.
    Gah, this thing is just so darn close. I absolutely love the text, love the back and forth conversation that gives us little bits and pieces of the characters. I especially liked this line – ‘His fingers fanned out along the curve. Math by touch. "It's like y equals x cubed, or a variation on that," he said.’
    But I don’t get it. The being, with his inquisitive nature and oddly placed naivety… he feels to me like a robot or some other form of AI… that is, in a way, being taught. But that doesn’t sit too well when I look back at the line where the MC says ‘"You don't know math…’
    I’m thrown for a loop here. Just another hint or two and this would quite easily make my final list.
    Y'all are thinking too hard. The two characters are just a woman and a man, mid- to late 20s, unmarried and living in a certain time and place, and cigarette smoke is (figuratively) in the air.

As I mentioned in the story thread, this is an old piece of writing, from the mid-90s. Thinking about it now, I'd probably choose something besides armpits, and you're totally correct about the "baby" line. I was too lazy to change it. Interesting that you perceived the man as being "taught" in some fashion by the woman; that might be, in a way, what's going on.

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    I had eight contenders:
    Colony
    Erebus
    Joe 2.0
    Live free or die
    Morningstar vs Jehovah
    Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair
    So, this guy walks into a bar
    Trey’s Choice
    I voted for Live Freee or Die because of the beauty of the imagined world. Not physical but completeness. Everything I needed to understand that world is included in the story and as well as everything I might wonder about being suggested as well. And it ends satisfactorily. Besides, I’ve always had a fondness for the Bruce Willis movies.
    And I voted for Trey’s Choice for newcomer of the month. The story had a significant theme, presented it well, and reached an unhappy but thoroughly satisfying ending.

And of course, I hit the wrong button.
    Fredian slip as I really liked colony. Since I have a third vote, will a mod please amend my voting to include both Colony and Live Free or Die. Thank you!
    Last edited by Hereford Eye; January 23rd, 2010 at 09:26 AM.

I really liked this story, I thought it was well-written and unique, with a good ending. Both times reading, I can't help but wonder if the two runners he passes are in fact the man at the end in his wife (just a thought, I have no idea what you intended). Good job.

Colony by Sean Regan
    Unfortunately, I've read this story several times and I still don't understand it. I get the idea but it just doesn't make sense. Sorry.

Level 3 by Carin Marais
    I like the idea but some of the dialogue was difficult to follow because I couldn't easily tell who said what. The infodump was a little too much, too soon. The action was rushed, and the ending was a little off, too - it didn't match the rest of the story, I guess. I liked the concept, though.

The Prisoner by Todd Banker
    First, I love the subtitle of this story. I enjoyed this one with the unusual twist at the end, though I wonder what happened to Kalgon's spirit after it was displaced and I was curious what kind of trouble he'd cause with his freedom. I felt the prison cell around me, and I liked how you weaved the descriptions into the dialogue. Good job.

So this guy walks into a bar... by Pete Warner
    I enjoy your descriptions and the atmosphere though I was confused by the two kids and their significance. Does know one notice him because he's a ghost? What it really felt like to me was the same story written twice just with a slightly different kid and ending. However, I enjoyed the concept of choices and how they affect our lives.

Wow, what a great entry. It was immersive, exciting, detail-packed but not heavy, I really enjoyed it! I felt like I was on that iceberg watching the entire saga play out. But the idea that he would rather in freedom than live in slavery was chilling (no pun intended). Great job, you should be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by NickeeCoco View Post

I think you have a strong narrative voice. I like how you characterize through actions. Over all, I think you have a very economical and strong writing style. I would like to read something else by you. Actually, to be quite frank, your writing actually reminds me of an author I'm currently reading at the moment. (David Weber) Unfortunately, there is a but. . .

This story didn't feel self contained to me. It felt like it was a part of a bigger story. I guess I'm just saying it wasn't flash to me.

I also agree with DaddyDarth's suggestion about more action. I think that would have given it a more complete view and scope. I also think it'd give it more of a complete story sort of thing, y'know? 'cos as of right now, I felt that the story itself was a little flat and a tad uninteresting. (I'm sorry )

I really like your writing, though.
    Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm often very critical and insecure about my writing style so I'm very happy it worked out for you.

I understand the difficulties people have had with the story itself, and while I was writing it I recognized those flaws. I felt, too, it was more like a snippet. Thanks for reading it and your feedback, I appreciate it. It's all the learning experience.

This seems like a strange line – ‘Not even the bodies remained, he remembered.’
    This sentence confuses me – ‘Had Jim stepped aside, he would have happily accepted the job’ - We’re talking about Horizon Beta here, right, not Alpha? This is my major point of confusion, and seems to be with the story… when exactly is “now”? The opening feels like it occurs within hours after Horizon Alpha’s launch, then we flash back to Jim pre-Alpha, then flash back to pre-Beta with his conversation with the other astronauts (which I believe is before the board room meeting), then final end up back in “now” (I think). Okay… I believe I have it all pieced right now, but it took me a bit to get there.
    Overall, there are some decent lines, and the storyline is solid… but the storyline already happened. I would have liked to have something happen in the “now” moment… the board meeting perhaps?
    I'm sorry the pacing confused you Let me see if I can sort it out for you.
    1) the "had Jim stepped aside" part was pre-Alpha, for if had Jim declined the mission Blair would have accepted it.
    2) the "now" of the story is a month after the explosion and hours before the launch of Beta. He's been grieving, they've investigated the tragedy and now they are ready to launch again.
    3) the Jim memory is pre-Alpha, the memory of the board meeting was pre-Beta, and finally back to "now" again when he decides.

I hope I cleared it up for you, I will take that into consideration in the future.
    Last edited by jordanlanni; January 24th, 2010 at 10:18 PM.

The Trials of El Gordo
    By Daddy Darth

Good job. No, GREAT job. I am impressed.

As a nutcase myself, I feel a sort of unjustified kinship with Gordon. This is good because that means the writing really brought him to life. Poor guy.

The only thing I can think to nitpick is the beginning; from the first “Balls” to the “Double Balls.” (heh) . It works, but… meh… I would have liked for you to use that space and go more into his struggles with his power. But it really doesn’t matter, because you pulled it off anyway.

Pretty darn likely to get my vote.

Colony
    By Sean Regan

Hmm.

That being said, you do have a way with dialog. It feels like a clip; a well-written cut-to scene that serves as a story in and of itself, but part of a larger whole.

I have no real nitpicks with this one. I thought it was well crafted. I like the body parts being defined as colonies. Interesting.

Balthazar's Legacy
    By Jordan Lanni

There is nothing structurally wrong with this story. You have a good pace, good dialog, and it is clear and concise.

However, I’m with DD, in that I would have liked it better if you had gone with a description of the explosion, and on from there. I’m a bit of a rubbernecker, I admit. I want the big bada-booms, and would have felt more for empathy for Blair, had I experienced what he’d experienced in
    watching Jim’s flight-turned-disaster.

All in all, I think you have a great piece.

Level 3
    By Carin Marais

Alright. I was lost in a confusing jumble of description during the first few paragraphs. Not sure if that was due to the dreaded formatting issues or the words themselves, so I’ll let that go.

It didn’t make sense to me why the people would be poisoned. Why would they be fed these lies and rumors, if not for the sole purpose of generating revenues for the traders? I mean, I really liked the concept of the naive to be led to these extremes, but it seems rather pointless for them to be killed off in that fashion… unless, of course, you intended for them to be eradicated for some other reason (their loyalties or beliefs, perhaps)? If that was the case, then it would have been better off if that was written into the story somehow.

The Prisoner
    (The Continuing Misadventures of Kalgon WonderNot)
    By Todd Banker

Well done! I liked this one very much. Of course, there are some obvious questions raised by HE in the Stories thread, but to tell you the truth, I didn’t even think of those questions until I read his post. Not sure if that means I’ve gotten off my game at this point, or if I was just immersed in your story, but there you have it.

I enjoyed it, regardless.

So this guy walks into a bar…
    By Pete Warner/Hoodwink

Gah!! Applause, applause, applause! This is an excellent entry. Heck, I love all of your entries, but this one… wow.

I was reading the replies to your Stories thread, and was kind of thinking I missed something when the question kept appearing regarding the kid in the backseat. When I got to your explanation, I was glad that I had assumed correctly. It adds another layer to the story; makes it all the richer.

Mr. Hoodwink, excellent job. When I grow up, I wanna be like you.

Live Free or Die
    By Michael Aaron/Zachariah

I’m going to develop a complex if I keep reading stories crafted better than I could ever hope to do. Darn it.

Anyway, great entry! I might have chosen the same, had I been in Jake’s shoes. Forced into indentured servitude? No thanks.

You did a fine job.

Okay, one more thread, then I mull.

Thanks for the kind words Venus.

Now on to voting. The attention getters for me are Rapunzel, Morningstar v Jehovah, Joe 2.0, Choosing Direction, Colony, the Prisoner and Live Free or Die.

Rapunzel gets vote #1 b/c it is a great fairy tale with a wicked ending. I loved it and it made me happy to read it.

The Prisoner gets vote #2 b/c despite some questions that did not occur to me till after reading it I was pretty riveted from the beginning and loved the ending. It felt wicked.

Choosing Direction gets vote #3 b/c it was another tale that kept me reading - needed to know how it ended and I was not dissapointed except I wanted more. Always a good thing. Uplifting.

Jehovah and Joe were right in there. So well written and entertaining - on equal footing with each other. I really enjoyed them both.

Live Free and Colony were in the mix b/c of solid writing.

Another great month. Thanks all.

The Trials of El Gordo
    "Some days he remembered saving a red headed girl" would have been a great closing line, especially given how you described his jumbled memories from before. I thought the beginning was a little unclear as to what was happening when -- was it ten minutes after meeting the social worker, ten minutes after checking his laptop, ten minutes after the meeting with the psychiatrist? It eventually clears itself up when you realize he's back in the waiting room from the beginning, but the timeline could have been a little more firmly established. Still, you did a great characterization of Gordo and detailed his conflict and his choice nicely.

Colony by Sean Regan
    The dialog works, but I don't get the point being made. Is it a good thing the man was so happy with his second choice? Is the woman worried he was so willing to settle for his second choice? I'm all for some ambiguity, but I'm not quite sure what this was reaching for.

Balthazar's Legacy
    I feel like the argument for not going was expressed better than the argument for going. I needed to see something more behind his decision to take the mission. And as others have said, I think we need to see the explosion, or maybe the full conversation the two men have before it, then segue to him in the boardroom.

Level 3
    The situation you describe in the opening doesn't seem dire enough to force people to hide out underground and shun the outside world. Without a convincing reason for your premise to exist, it doesn't hold itself up. And we never really get to know Johan or his family, so the crisis doesn't have the weight it should. The twist is nicely done, but this needs a little more work to shore it up.

The Prisoner (The Continuing Misadventures of Kalgon WonderNot)
    I was worried for a bit that this was going to be nothing but a philosophical back and forth over the idea of choice (which, while it can be interesting, is my least favorite way of seeing a theme handled). Fortunately, you sprang a nice twist and left us wanting more. Nice save!

So this guy walks into a bar...
    The choice not to have the chaser doesn't really seem to impact the story one way or another, which seems odd since it's described as a "pivot moment" both times it happens. What's pivotal about it if he still hits the kid? He doesn't hit him as hard because his reaction is faster? It doesn't feel as pivotal as it should.

I hate to get bogged down on that, because the actual writing is very strong.

Live free or die
    This:
    He trod water until his legs stopped working. This was my choice, Jake thought. I knew the risks.
    seemed a little shoe-horned in there in order to meet the theme. It just felt a little clunkly and on-the-nose compared to everything else, which is really, really good. And I get the final choice -- it's a black comic moment. He can work the rest of his life for his "freedom", or he can just let go and be free. It works.

Live Free or Die and The Prisoner are under consideration from this group.