View Poll Results: Select 1 to 3 stories max between this and and the othe January Flash Fic threads

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yin/Yang by Hereford Eye

2 20.00%
  • I voted in the other threads

8 80.00%
    Forgive us our tristises Tristis's Avatar

January 2010 Flash Fic Voting Thread C

Welcome to the C Thread for the January Flash Fic contest. Here is our final yet fantastic submitter and his work. Enjoy. And remember to vote.

Yin/Yang by Hereford Eye

The poll is open to everyone, so even if you have not submitted, please give the submissions a read and vote for your favourites.

Reviews are very welcome and encouraged. You can submit comments to the individual stories in the story forum, but I hope you also paste them in the voting thread so they don't get missed.

You have 3 votes to divvy up between the THREE threads.
    You don't have to use all your votes if you only feel one or two stories deserve a vote.
    You can only give one vote per submission.
    Voting ends at something like 3 AM my time, January 30. But for clarity, you should take note of the poll closing date /time for your area.

Good luck to all and may the winner as of January 31 enjoy the splendor of your prize…which is the holding of the next contest.
    Last edited by Tristis; January 25th, 2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: removed outdated intro announcing poll

Hahahaha. I'm sorry, Tristis, but I can't help laughing. It seems HE is just getting the short end of the stick this month.

Pssst. . . you didn't give him a voting poll.

Quote Originally Posted by NickeeCoco View Post
    Hahahaha. I'm sorry, Tristis, but I can't help laughing. It seems HE is just getting the short end of the stick this month.

Pssst. . . you didn't give him a voting poll.
    getting there

I did know these poll threads posted before their polls, I guess I just didn't think about the speed with which the whole shebang moves. Those mods are right on top of things.

As said in my now edited intro. There will be a poll. I want it to close in sync with the others, so I'll make the poll at 3. Strangely, I can do that! Who knew?
    Last edited by Tristis; January 22nd, 2010 at 05:02 PM.

HE, that's a great story - you just made it so much harder. I like how you flipped the choice theme on its head, that was a nice twist. I enjoyed the little bit of world-building you threw in there, too. Good job

HE,

Thought provoking. I enjoyed this very much, and I feel like cheering for their choice.

I have no nits.

I understand the reasoning behind stopping at 'gut', but I still think the sentence flows well.

HE,
    You excel at thought provoking pieces that feel very real and human and this piece again hits that mark. Month after month I enjoy the insights into the human psyche you deliver. Nice story with a good resolution.

The Shuans sit across the living from each other
    I'm going to assume that, rather than the Shuans sitting with every living person on the planet between them, that the word "room" is missing from that sentence.

I still get the feeling that things will not go well for this couple, despite their acceptance of fate. Someone's going to be disappointed. That may dim in the face of having a living breathing baby in front of them rather than the concept of one, however.

In the end, I went with Live Free or Die, The Prisoner, and Choosing Direction at the End. If I had a fourth vote, it would have gone to Trey's Choice.

I'm not sure whether a private thread is an advantage or not. Here are my comments, take them for what they are worth.

Yin/Yang by Hereford Eye
    You write well, which makes the things that don't work (IMO) stand out all the more. The main idea is top rate, it made my mind run off in several different directions. There was a lot to consider there, but there are a couple of things that bother me. You didn't really peg the title. Yes, on one level you are dealing with opposites, but complementary opposites which have more in common than not. And, this was more preamble than story. What I saw was a very nicely done infodump, there wasn't a plot development until the last paragraph. I kind of hoped for a "but then..." moment.

Thanks for participating.

B5

"In the year 2525"
    My wife and had the discussion of preference many a time - she wanted a girl so badly and I didn't have a preference - and they sounded an awful lot like this. (Of course, we didn't have the option of choosing gender, only the impatient preference). But this would be a very real argument and point of contention in a time when technology allowed it.

Like DD, I thought it was very real and well done.

Yin/Yang by Dan Beiger (Hereford Eye)
    Ah, I love a good romance. This is another fine piece. Even though, partway through, they were far more logical than I envision upset people with a vested interest might be, the story held. I think that’s because it all was so very clinical.