Thread: SASE question

Question SASE question

Hello,

I am a little confused with the SASE aspect of sending in a query/or proposal. This agent that I have my eyes set on wants the query to be sent by email. They have stopped receiving snail mail back in 2006.

How do I go about sending them an SASE if they won't accept snail mail?

And how does one go about producing an SASE? Do I have to print everything out and have it weighed at the post office?

Thanks

Book of the Black Earth
    Blog Entries
    Hehe, if they accept email submissions, don't worry about the SASE.

A Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope is simply that: a regular-sized envelope wth your address front and center and a stamp; it saves the agent the price of postage when sending a reply to your submission.

Seconding Jon. If they want email submissions, there's no SASE involved, other than being sure they have your valid email address for their communication back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Sprunk View Post
    Hehe, if they accept email submissions, don't worry about the SASE.

A Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope is simply that: a regular-sized envelope wth your address front and center and a stamp; it saves the agent the price of postage when sending a reply to your submission.
    Okay, I get that. But here's the peculiar thing...although they want all email submissions they are still asking for an SASE! This is the part that confuses me. What do I do in this situation?

And if I was to send an SASE, how do I go about doing it? Do I print out all my work and have it weighed at the post office for adequate shipping amount?

Book of the Black Earth
    Blog Entries
    The request for a SASE is most likely a hold-over from their days of receiving snail-mail submissions. You can safely ignore it.

What you are describing (having your submission weighed and buying the return postage) is if you want the manuacript returned (via snail mail) if the agent/publisher rejects it. (A hold-over from the old, old days when manuscripts were typed on typewriters and photocopying wasn't available.)

An SASE is exactly what I said: a regular letter envelope with your address on the front center section and a stamp in the corner.