Thread: How to tell it

caught in the whirlwind of my imagination

How to tell it

I'm sure everyone who has tried to write a story, whether it be a short story or a novel or whathaveyou, has experienced this. You've got a story in your head and it wants to be told. It's yearning to be told, straining against the huge round bone that is your skull. (Ok, that might be a slight exaggeration but you know what I mean. I hope...) My point is, you know all about it, got the characters at least moderately developed, you know all the big points of the plot (especially the climax and rising action), and you can see the setting in your head and everything is there and ready to go. However, when you try to put it on the page, no matter how you tell it the story never seems to come out right.

I ask cause I'm 100 pages into a new fantasy trilogy of who knows how long (longer than anything I've written before, certainly--which is a 350 page book if you're wondering). Only a few places in all those 100 pages feel right.

So to anyone who has experienced this and been able to work through it, what was it you did? What worked for you?

Speaks fluent Bawehrf zachariah's Avatar
    As far as I can tell, this is an experience common to absolutely everyone when they start out.

You are writing your first draft. It's supposed to be pretty dire. Finishing this is just the first step in creating a complete novel. Keep calm, carry on.

Blog Entries
    Getting the story down out of your head into first draft is the most important thing.

My first draft is a literary regurgitation of an outline for the book. I don't care about grammar, sentence construction, story arcs, characters - I just toss it out there and boy is it a mess.

Sounds to me like you're doing it the right way. I go through three entire passes from front to back before considering anything done - and then it goes to my writing group for another sound beating. Only afterward will an editor see it.

Kerry

I think, somehow, that I've forgotten that this is just a first draft. Haha! I guess I've fallen into that trap fo making things really good the first time around and not waiting for later drafts.

I guess my real problem is that most of my stories begin with some dream or other inspired idea and the scene that I imagine is at the beginning of the story. Or near it. With this one, well, all the inspired stuff is at the very end and it's going to take several hundred pages of work before I'm able to reach that. But that's not something that anyone else can help me with. So thanks for your comments and encouragement. I'll try to remember that my novel is what it is for the moment.

Blog Entries
    I wish I could help, but I don't really have any experience in this particular situation. I never have had stories in my head, or at least, not complete ones. I've had stories fully realized in dreams, but those tend to either fade too fast when I wake up or make no sense in light of day.

What I do get are ideas for setting and characters, perhaps a starting point and I have to write so I can find out what happens next! And to make that happen, I have to make sure the characters are "right" and that they're "speaking" to me.

That said, perhaps the story isn't coming out "right" because the story in your head isn't the story that needs to be written. Perhaps the story in your head is the inspiration for the story, or a starting point, foundation, or other means to get to the actual story. Since I don't have experience with writing that way, I don't know if what I'm saying makes any sense. I know my stories are "right" because they work, I get to "the end," and everything feels right to me.

Slave to the Cruel Pen
    As Hemingway famously put it, first drafts are sh**. They are because they are. Even the best, most accomplished writers have to rewrite and revise repeatedly to keep reeling off famous bestsellers. If you do it right, your final draft (after numerous rewrites and revisions) should resemble your first draft only in that you are its author.

Good luck with your story.

Looks like you already have your answer but I wanted to chime in anyway...I find my inner critic plays on my insecurities most when I'm just starting a new project. If I listen I crumble...if I keep going eventually I find my groove and the story begins to take shape. One thing that helps me is to get into it is to establish a daily pattern that assists in finding the rhythem of writing. When I wake up I grab my computer and work on the bus...at lunch I pull it out again...and then once more on the way home. In the evening I take another go at it. All the while I listen to music...for me the heavier the better as it serves as fuels and often even provides inspiration. I just finished

I think everybody has different hang ups and it's up to ourselves to find ways to overcome them. Really though the bottom line is just simply are you writing. Even if you're spewing excrement on the page some of it will be salvagable...hopefully. If it is...well then you have that old personal growth thing to fall back upon.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement. I tried writing 500 words a night this last fall and, got to tell you, I got really far! Seriously, page 20 one day, then 4 weeks later I was on 70 or something. Wasn't writing every night at the end, life complications you know, and thus I stopped.

Tyrisues, I find a lot of inspiration in music as well. And I agree with you too, the heavier the better. Part of my problem, I'm thinking, is that for earlier projects my inner muse has had lots and lots of music to listen to and, for this one, it only has like 20 songs. What stuff do you listen to? Maybe some of it would help me too.

Redmage I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this but I've been using playlist.com to supplement my music collection.

Tool, Korn, Amon Amarth (love it - heavy without the rage...a lot of norse mythology and viking imagery), Metallica, Alice in Chains, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Neil Young, Loreena Mckennit, Disturbed, Evanescence, The Tea Party, Faith No More, Soundgarden, Sabbath, Ozzy, Maiden, Priest, Weird Al (I am white and Nerdy), Danzig, Megadeth, Ministry, The Cure, Rage Against..., BNL, Police/sting, Dire Straits, The Doors, Beatles, Motorhead, Pantera, Helloween, Symphony X, Manowar, Chili Peppers, Sepultura, Rainbow Butt Monkeys, and of course the greatest band of all time Spinal Tap.

...and if you want to annoy your neighbors...Cradle of Filth...my tribute to the IT Crowd.

One song I love to listen to when writing traveling scenes...Night Ride Accross the Caucus by Loreena McKennit...not exactly heavy metal but I'm allowed some diversity.

[QUOTE=RedMage;564451]Thanks to everyone for your encouragement. I tried writing 500 words a night this last fall and, got to tell you, I got really far! Seriously, page 20 one day, then 4 weeks later I was on 70 or something. Wasn't writing every night at the end, life complications you know, and thus I stopped.QUOTE]

A further thought...

One thing you may wish to reconsider is the amount you write in one day...I'm not sure what your schedule is like or your goals but personally 500 words does little to relieve the pressure valve on my idea tank. (When an idea is ready I need to get it out or risk a hemorage) Obviously the more you write each day the quicker it will come... so personally I try to average at least 2000 words a day and to be honest that isn't that difficult to achieve. (For me). I find that the more I write the more involved I am with the characters and the story - the more it just flows and takes on a life of it's own. That and it prevents me from growing discouraged, fights the demons of insecurity and I don't tend to grow bored of the story as easily. (Note I said average...if I don't make the goal each day it's no big deal but I do try and make up for it on other days.)

How much you write is up to you but I took a look at my life and asked myself how important my writing was to me? I asked some specific questions like -Was it more important then TV? Yes...so I cancelled my cable (hockey I miss you so.) Is it more important then other recreational activities? (Sleeping...I miss you too.) Art requires sacrifice...how much you give up is your choice but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to determine writing more each day will eanble you to get it out quicker...which in my mind is essential. (2000/500 = 4...meaning your book will be done in a quarter of the time)

Everybody has dead time...I recommend taking a look to see if you can convert that into writing time. I bought a little Acer notebook last year and instantly gained a couple hours of writing time...on my transit alone I now write 1200-1500 words...I've been lazy lately and haven't been using my lunch but when I was that was another 1000-1500 words...so before I even got home I had 3000 words. A couple more hours in the evening and..well suddenly my ideas didn't feel quite so constipated and there they were on the paper where I can actually do something with them. This might not be possible for you but if it is...why not just go for it?

Not sure if this helps but either way good luck with your writing.

I see what you're saying Tyriseus. 500 words is simply the minimum I must hit. When I was in the habit of writing I was doing closer to 1,000 words a night before I allowed myself to stop. The min. was still 500, I just wasn't able to wrap it up for the night until I did several hundred more . It's a completely arbitrary number, one I got off a bio of Terry Pratchett (an author I love!) which said that when he was still working a full, 40 hr a week day job, he would come home and write 500 words a night no matter what. If he ended a book and still had 100 words to go, well, he'd start the next one. It allowed him to have a day job, a life, and his writing. That's what it does for me too. Plus, it saves some thoughts for tomorrow that you can start off with.

As for the music, sounds a lot like what I listen to. Most of the bands you listed I haven't tried, though I know of them. I have meant to give them a try but, for some reason, something holds me back. Some, I know, are not quite the thing I'm looking for. Others? Maybe. I'll have to try. By the way, you should try Nightwish, Kamelot, and Blind Guardian. Three bands that just popped into my mind that have been very good to me and my writing. Oh, and Loreena McKennitt is awesome! Been listening to her for years. Night Ride Across the Caucus has got to be the best song for an epic, overland journey.

With this one, well, all the inspired stuff is at the very end and it's going to take several hundred pages of work before I'm able to reach that.
    Different people does things differently, personally I don't write chronologically, very much because I tend to be in a similar situation as you. For me it is a lot easier to write the part which you've already fully realized in your mind and then work towards that, for others it's better to have that epic part to look forward to as a treat to motivate the writing of the rest of the book.

What I wanted to say is, nothing stops you from writing those parts right now, it might even help you focus on the rest of the book later.

Edit: Just heard some of Loreena McKennitt's work. Pure awesome, I will have to aquire her discography. Many thanks for the tip!
    Last edited by Nostra; February 25th, 2010 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostra View Post

Edit: Just heard some of Loreena McKennitt's work. Pure awesome, I will have to aquire her discography. Many thanks for the tip!
    That's very strange, I just had The Book Of Secrets playing in the car! A wonderful musician...

...and Loreena's a Canuck to boot. Proof we do produce musicians not named Brian Adams and Celine Dion.