Question Microsoft Word 2007 question

Hello,

I am trying to format my manuscript, but I've reached a bit of a problem. This is all in Microsoft Word 2007. Here it is...

1) I managed to write my Title Page (name, title, etc) with the necessary footer and header.

2) The Table of Contents is directly below that. However, in the header the number of the first page is registered as the table. I want the first page to be the prologue following the table and have the table's header be called "contents"

3) Before the Table of Contents and directly below the Title Page I want to have a Dedication Page. Whenever I try and change the header name to "Dedication" it changes the entire document, and ruins the numbering and Table of Contents.

Now, I've fiddled around with "Break", adding pages, messing around when the headers (deleting one and adding a new one where I want it), but whatever I do seems to ruin the entire document. Essentially, what I want to do is be able to name everything before the prologue begins seperately, and have the first numbered page start at the prologue instead of the Table of Contents being called page 1.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by ausnos; February 23rd, 2010 at 12:13 PM.

I am trying to format my manuscript, but I've reached a bit of a problem. This is all in Microsoft Word 2007. Here it is...
    I know your plight my friend. I have XP word version on my laptop, Vista 07 word on my desktop. I almost got to the point of throwing my desktop through the window.

You really have to spend a lot of time playing with 07 to get the feel of it.. After I did, I took 07 and xferred it to my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by JT Billow View Post
    I know your plight my friend. I have XP word version on my laptop, Vista 07 word on my desktop. I almost got to the point of throwing my desktop through the window.

You really have to spend a lot of time playing with 07 to get the feel of it.. After I did, I took 07 and xferred it to my laptop.
    Unfortunately, JT, that wasn't the answer that I was looking for. I was playing around with the program. What I am seeking is an answer in how to solve this problem!

Blog Entries
    I am totally confused as to why you need a table of contents page for a submission to an agent or a publisher, unless you are submitting to a POD/self publish set up, and having to format the whole novel for them.

Yes, a title page, but then just the pages of the manuscript the agent/publisher requests in their submission guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook View Post
    I am totally confused as to why you need a table of contents page for a submission to an agent or a publisher, unless you are submitting to a POD/self publish set up, and having to format the whole novel for them.

Yes, a title page, but then just the pages of the manuscript the agent/publisher requests in their submission guide.
    With all due respect, can we not deviate from the initial question that I had? Is anyone savvy with headers?

Unfortunately, JT, that wasn't the answer that I was looking for. I was playing around with the program. What I am seeking is an answer in how to solve this problem!
    Well, I was more or less trying to relay to you how much the program sucked. But I will give you answers, although you will not like them.

2) The Table of Contents is directly below that. However, in the header the number of the first page is registered as the table. I want the first page to be the prologue following the table and have the table's header be called "contents"
    And you will not make it happen within the same document. I have tried it 100 different ways, with no resolved (unless some 07 guru knows differently).

For each document that I desired a separate type of format, I had to create a separate file in order to do so. That is why, for my first book, on the flash drive I had several folders: ie manuscript, title page, prologue, contents, etc etc

Holbrook is very correct. He is just trying to save you from the same type of trouble I, and many others have had, when writing and dealing with a new MS Word version. When it comes down to the nitty gritty, let the publisher worry about formatting. Just get the talent of your words ready.

Ah, I see. Well, I meant no disrespect in not acknowledging what Holbrook was saying or to you, JT.

JT, putting everything what I should have and should not have aside and just for the sake of trying to understand everything, if I was to make separate word documents for the other stuff that I want...how do I compile it all to ship as one package at the end of the day? Or do I? I'm sorry...my mind is numb. I've been trying to digest everything in preparation of sending my work out to an agent.

This is all very confusing and frustrating. Once again I've resorted to a "how to" book in manuscript formatting. I want my manuscript to look just right with all the necessary elements. Now, I am further confused to what everyone on this forum is saying to what I have been reading in numerous books. No, they are not outdated books.

I thank JT and Holbrook, as well as everyone else who has been helping me thus far. And I feel that even though some of you may disagree with my methods, I like to at least learn how to do certain things if I ever wanted to go the extra mile, or if for some reason a specific element has been requested that I do for my work.

Before I end this, I am wondering if anyone who knows enough about Microsoft Word 2007 headers/footers can elaborate further on what JT has said, or may have another method on how to achieve what I am trying to do?

MSWord 2007 gurus NEEDED!

Thank you.
    Last edited by ausnos; February 23rd, 2010 at 09:21 PM.

Author and Game Designer Taramoc's Avatar
    Not sure what books you are reading, but JT and Holbrook are right, no agent would care to see a document as you describe, all they need is to read your story...

Having said that, you need to use multiple documents as JT is saying and a Master Document to keep them all together. To create a Master Document, just create a new document, go in Outline View (View tab, fourth choice from the left) and start dropping in your separate documents (click on Show Document in the outlining tab that appears, then use the Insert command next to it). If you want to see them all together, you just need to use the Expand documents.

At any time, get out of the Outline View to see how the final document would look like.

It takes a little bit of time to get the hang on the whole Master Document thing, but it's quite powerful once you do.

Taramoc

There is another way to do it and it is using sections. where you can define different numbering for each section and the table of contents will reference the different sections as you have defined it, This is what you would see in papers there there is a prolog numbered I II III IV ..... and then the story begins numbering 1 2 3 4 .....

Also when you define sections you can define a different header and footer for each section. and even you can define different page settings for each section, like page size and orientation.

I think all of this can solve your problems. I am really tooooooo lazy to guide you through it, but you can google "ms word sections" and get results for example:
    http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/sections.htm

It is not word 07, but I think you can search the menues and find the same options there. This has been standard functionality for many versions now.

Blog Entries
    Just a note on headers and footers, some agents/publishers don't want them on submissions, just a page number at the bottom of the manuscript. Others want the title/your name/page number in the header and nothing in the footer.

ausnos; The basic format for your sample chapters/pages/book should be;

A title page with your contact details, word count, title of the book and your name

Then the rest of the pages as.

1" margins
    Courier New
    12 Point
    Double Spaced

Then you tweak it to what the agent/publisher says in their submission guidelines.

You honestly don't need table of contents, dedication page, etc. The agent /publisher is not interested in that, they are interested in your story.

Unless as I say you are preparing a manuscript for a POD - self publish house, even then places like Lulu have a guide for what they want.

Oh JT, its she not he

Thank you.

Oh JT, its she not he
    Whoops, my apologies

Just to give you further reference to what Holbrook was saying, here's a really good example of how your manuscript should look:

http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html

That link will guide you through it entirely. As it has been pointed out, some agents/publishers will not accept anything with headers. Some do. Some only want your name in the headers, while others want page numbers as well. What you need to do is read the guidelines on the agent's webpage (if they have one.)
    Last edited by NickeeCoco; February 24th, 2010 at 05:46 PM.