Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this forum dead?

I ask because the 'currently reading' list stops in 2008 and the only post this year is for a 2005 thread.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Crickets.

It is understandable though. To be the person responsible for "driving the bus" in a reading group involves investing the time. Erfael goes through quite a bit, I would imagine, for the book club in the Fantasy/Horror forum.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah: we are in need of an update.

It does seem though that, despite lots of tries and retries, we're not really getting too much response on a monthly SF book. Not through lack of trying though.

We are looking at where we can go with this, though, before poor old Erfael goes mad with it all.

Mark
    Mark

I'm always up for trying to get the SF side of things running again if there's an interest. It was very strong for a long time and then sort of petered out. The folks we have in SF seem a lot pickier now than they used to be as far as liking or reading only certain slices of the greater SF pie. Things worked really when when we had a large bunch of people who were willing to read anything, old or new, space opera or hard SF, month in and month out, whether it was the kind of thing they usually liked or not.

Are you folks up for trying a book of the month again? I'll get the threads started if we are.

Reader of books

Smile I would be....

I could do with discovering new favourite books... :-)

The White Gold Worshipper mrpolley's Avatar
    yes please I have never done this before. I was hoping also the fantasy/horror bookclub got started up again. Was there any sort of one post a month advertising in the main forums about the book club and what was being read? I just never really noticed the book club forums before... I will read anything as long as its affordable and hopefully available at my local library.

I'll give it a go.

Okay. I'll happily throw up a nominations thread. Look for it soon.

Imagination is everything benjamin's Avatar
    I joined the forums mainly for the science fiction book of the month discussions. I really hope to see it thrive again. I will contribute significantly to any new science book nomination and book of the month thread.^^

It does seem fairly dead. We tried a discussion a few months back and it pretty much didn't do anything. There was a great show of interest in actually doing it, but not so much participation once it happened. I think at this point it will take the membership actually organizing a book for discussion to get it going again.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    It does seem fairly dead. We tried a discussion a few months back and it pretty much didn't do anything. There was a great show of interest in actually doing it, but not so much participation once it happened. I think at this point it will take the membership actually organizing a book for discussion to get it going again.
    Thats really too bad. Well to get things going I will be the first to nominate Winter Song by Colin Harvey. Story seems fresh and adventurous. New author too^^

Dont die forum><

Newly joinded would love to read

Hey all!

I'm a newly joined old codger. Love SF but haven't been reading as much as I used to. I'd love to try a monthly book discussion. I'll suggest How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu. My copy just arrived from Zooba today and other than reading a couple of favorable reviews I know nothing about it. It's not paper or trade paper (see rules from 'long ago') but it can be had (so to speak) from Zooba for 9.99 /no shipping just tax, which, these days, puts it in the same class, I'd say.

Any takers?

Well, I've only done this once, and I thoroughly enjoyed the novel- Blindsight by Peter Watts. But unfortunately, there wasn't really much discussion. I would love to get back into sci-fi, and maybe discover some cool new books. I'm all for a revival.

Let's get this rolling!

Quote Originally Posted by minoan View Post
    Hey all!

I'm a newly joined old codger. Love SF but haven't been reading as much as I used to. I'd love to try a monthly book discussion. I'll suggest How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu. My copy just arrived from Zooba today and other than reading a couple of favorable reviews I know nothing about it. It's not paper or trade paper (see rules from 'long ago') but it can be had (so to speak) from Zooba for 9.99 /no shipping just tax, which, these days, puts it in the same class, I'd say.

Any takers?
    I joined just today in hopes of finding new books to read and people to talk to about them. This one sounds interesting - anyone else what to give it a shot?