Longevity of the LoTR films

Finally my nephew was old enough to watch the LoTR movies and he enjoyed them.

But I did not enjoy them at all and it made me sad, because when I first saw them I declared them classics and was sure I could never get enough of them. I have watched them like 6-7 times.

What is that makes some movies enjoyable everytime you watch them? I don't know how many times I watched Star Wars, Bloodsport and The Rock, but I enjoy them everytime...

I think I will wait 5-10 years before I try to watch LoTR again.

I marathoned all three films when the Blu-ray came out, and I felt just as wrapped up as I did back when they were released. But I will say that these aren't really films that lend themselves to casual watching, throwing them on in the background while you do something else. You lose so much of the emotion that way.

What was it that bothered you this time? There are parts that are hyper-melodrama that can certainly turn people off, but I never have trouble watching them myself. Whereas I can't watch The Rock anymore, even though I enjoy the film (Con Air, too), but I will watch the Wedding Singer or Army of Darkness every time they come on. I have no idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by txshusker View Post
    What was it that bothered you this time?
    Elijah Wood bothers me, especially in the scenes where he makes big scared/troubled eyes. I don't mind the other melodrama, but the scenes with him rubs me the wrong way. Maybe they always have but have been overshadowed by the rest of the films.

Here with muffins!!! The Master™'s Avatar
    UK - somewhere in the northern wastelands
    personally, i haven't watched the DVD's since the first time i get them...

but i was daft enough to get the theatrical and extended versions...

sometimes age doesn't do well for some films... unlike Star Wars...

give it 10 years and see if things change - or if there is a new media format you need to re-purchase the films on...

I am worried about how badly they may have aged as well! After catching the last bit of the Matrix on TV and seeing how that looks now... I would be really sad to see LoTR looking dated.

I don't get how LOTR can look dated but Star Wars doesn't.

I think it's all about the techniques used in special effects. The areas of LoTR where green screens and cgi characters were used might date it because we've been spoiled and cgi has come on leaps and bounds recently. Films where real props, sets and miniatures are used throughout hold up over time (just my opinion!). I watched The Labyrinth the other day and it still looks amazing becuase all of the creatures are puppets!

Oh yeah.. Add The Labyrinth to my list of movies I can watch again and again.

i watch LOTR once a year about christmas time. one per night for 3 nights. holds up for me.