Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I'll be watching it on iPlayer tonight or tomorrow, my clan are making me play Left 4 Dead at 6pm (Dr Who is on at 6:20 )

Nerdlinger extraordinaire thehindmost's Avatar
    d*mn you and your alternative tv scheduling. you at least have to let me know how this new guy stands up to tennant.

The White Gold Worshipper mrpolley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thehindmost View Post
    d*mn you and your alternative tv scheduling. you at least have to let me know how this new guy stands up to tennant.
    hehe. we will. we dont have alternative tv scheduling, we have premiere tv scheduling

Episode - 6.5
    Matt Smith - 8.5
    Karen Gillan - 9.0 <3

I think that's the strongest series opener I've seen in Doctor Who, in terms of story strength and plot development for future episodes.

Matt Smith seemed to have a few recycled lines from the Tennant regeneration but it looks like he's putting his own spin on the role. The new inside of the tartdis looks pretty cool, and the new assistant is good too. (Not to menton hot )

Looking forward to seeing more

Episode - 7.5
    Matt Smith - 8
    Karen Gillan - 8.5

I think tennant got off to a better start, but Smith looks like he'll be good once he's had a few more episodes in the role.

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    Bally good opening episode!

I liked how they handled the introduction of Amy Pond. I do think she'll make the most interesting assistant yet with her eccentricities almost matching the Doctor's. It also helps that she is quite attractive in a quirky way.

Matt Smith has a lot of boyish charm and youth energy. His carefree attitude is refreshing after Tennant's Doctor seemed to have weight of the universe on his shoulders in his last few outings.

The episode itself was enjoyable. Wasn't the most amazing plot, but it did the job of introducing the characters and letting us get to know the Doctor. Did have some great sequences and for me, the Doctor running around a little English village is quintessential Who.

Spoiler:
    I loved the fire engine scene - when Amy receives the text to same duck and the ladder crashes though the window. A very playful scene.

The clips of future episodes hold some very promising looking stuff, I think this will be a season well worth watching.

Hmm.
    Matt Smith was pretty good - Better than I expected. His performance did remind me a lot of Tennant in that he's quite witty and fast paced.
    The new companion... I think I was too busy drooling to really have any comments on her performance.
    Did anyone else think the Sonic Screwdriver she picked out of the room looked suspiciously like the pen version they sold as a toy? It looked a bit too similar!
    But it was a good start, and I think I might continue watching this series

A better start than for either Ecclestone's or Tennant's Doctor IMO, but then it should have been, really. They've had plenty of time to perfect it and the momentum (and presumably the budget) behind the programme has built up immensely over the last few series, thanks in main to Tennant's excellent portrayal.

We watched it as a family, and all enjoyed it. It was fun, clever and had good charachterisation. Matt Smith slots straight in.

For me, the defining scene was the Doctor's confrontation with the Atraxi and his assertion that the Earth was protected. The imagery of the previous Doctors that was conjured up to reinforce this fact might be seen by some as an overused ploy, but it gave me goosebumps nonetheless!

We are all looking forward to next Saturday night!

Bravo!

ND
    Last edited by NilsDesperandum; April 3rd, 2010 at 04:50 PM.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Agreed!

I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode. Seemed strange to get a lighthearted attitude after so long with DT's seriousness but MS managed it while still dishing out the punishment.

I didn't think there was that much change in the Tardis? A few colour changes and some mezzanine but otherwise.... however, I liked the hint of further unseen reaches with the library and swimming pool. Reminds me of the original.

High hopes.

That was much better than I thought it would be. I think this guys gonna do a good job filling Tennant's shoes. Tardis redesign is pretty cool too, the same old design but superficially much different. I just hope Ms. Pond keeps an array of outfits around like that police costume.

So glad to hear all the excitement! Only 10 days to go for those of us in the US! Thought i would also share that there's now a FREE nine-minute preview avaible on iTunes! Enjoy!

You needn't wait out the lag time if you poke around on the interwub...

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Episode 2 this evening.

Hmm. Quite clever, but I just kept thinking one word:
    Spoiler:
    Discworld!

Still motoring along nicely. The scripts are much better than RTD's, in my opinion.

Mark
    Mark

yeah I thought the exact same thing lol.

Blog Entries
    Scripts are good. Matt Smith is good, I like.

Niggles;

Ep 1

Bad blue screen when Dr driving fire engine. (he was turning wheel one way, engine going straight on!)

Went from soaking wet to dry clothes in a matter of minutes.

Ep 2

Self-cleaning clothes and hair washed, blow-dried and styled with a few paces

Must be something about not allowing the actors to stand around in wet clothes for long