Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke_B View Post
    (I know the thread is clearly marked spoilers, but maybe for those of us who are behind, spoiler tags can be used?)
    Hm... I'm tempted to say a non-spoiler thread should probably be knocked up in that case. This one is clearly marked for spoilers, and we've got 18 months' worth of discussion with spoiler-containing posts (Although some people have used tags), so it would be a fairly big shake up for the topic.

I'd say make a non-spoiler one

I have a feeling I'd be the only one posting in it. I think I'll just have to be careful about where I let my eyes roam on this thread. Fortunately you usually bold the episode your posting about at the top of your post.

Well, as this series is almost over with one more episode to go, I think it'd certainly be something to keep in mind for series 7 next year. As you implied, it's only fair to have a non-spoiler thread for those who are behind with their viewing, whether it's due to missing an episode or having a broadcaster that's a week or two behind.

Edit:
    Series 6 Episode 12/Series 6.5 Episode 5 - Closing Time
    Got to admit I was not looking forward to this episode. I'm not a fan of James Corden at all as I think he's a bit of an insufferable oaf, but I thought he was actually pretty good in what turned out, to me, to be one of the strongest episodes this series.

It was quite a light hearted episode, despite the deeper messages, and it was filled with some very good jokes, which Matt Smith carried off brilliantly. I think this episode also shows how much Rory and Amy dragged it down, especially in the later stages. Smith was free to mince around a bit more and Corden made a refreshing change, and you could feel it in the episode. I found it quite funny that the Doctor was, once again, mistaken as being gay (Hasn't that happened a few times now?) and he seemed to really work that angle well, although I think the "X is gay" device really needs to be dropped. Three times in one half-series (Rory in Let's Kill Hitler, the Doctor and Craig in this one) is a bit much, plus it's a fairly tired joke as it is.

The plotting wasn't bad, I suppose, but I found the 'solution' to be a little wobbly and I think Cybermen-in-a-ship-underground should probably be laid to rest now. That said, it felt as if the Cybermen plot was just another catalyst, and that the 'true' story was the Doctor coming to terms with his impending death along with the set up for the next episode, the season finale, as well as the development for Craig and Alfie. The set up worked well as it brought things full circle and you know roughly where you're going to stand with what happens.

Gripes: The Doctor getting a job. Huh. Did he go back in time to get it, or did he get it before he went to Craig's house? Judging by the other staff members and their reactions to him, it seems as if he'd been there a while. Also, why did no-one notice that he wandered out of the store when he was supposed to be working, nor when he tore down the signs for the lift?
    Craig as a parent. Uh... Kiddo, you don't run around dangerous places with a baby. It's not parental instincts, it's common flipping sense.
    Disappearing people. They got forgotten about. That seems a bit odd, as usually the Doctor avenges them or something like that.

Next episode teaser: Oh dear. It looks as if it might be a Let's Kill Hitler. We'll see, though. Only six days to go!
    Last edited by Loerwyn; September 25th, 2011 at 05:37 AM.

Series Finale
    Pfffft. I want my time back.

Well, the Christmas special broadcast yesterday but I got around to watching it today. I'll try not to spoil it too much.

Christmas Special
    Aside from that child actor (the boy), who probably couldn't have acted any less than he did (sounds harsh, I guess...), I thought it was a really enjoyable episode that really, really widdled over the last series. I think the absence of Rory & Amy really showed how much stronger the show can be. I also found it to be quite an emotional episode, with the last quarter or so making me a little sad.

I know someone on my Twitter feed didn't seem impressed with it, saying some things about how it was a bit patronising in its message, but conversely I thought it was a celebration of life - and for many species on this planet, that revolves around the woman, and as such it was perhaps a celebration of women.

Oh, and I didn't realise Bill Bailey was such a good actor, either.

A long way short of last year's Christmas special, for me. It started promisingly; the spacesuit scenes were quite humurous. But the ideas driving the story were pretty silly even by Doctor Who's standards and parts of the episode were way too earnest, even for a Christmas special. It was saved for me by some of the funnier parts, like Madge's run in with the three soldiers (even if it felt a pit tacked on), and by the occasional glimpse of real heart under all the flaws.

Somebody explain to me what the current Mrs. Blah and her children are going to do? Because, I mean, if he was never declared dead, they would have never moved, she would have never called for the Doctor, hence paradox. But, cutting all that short with 'It's all timey-whimey' and time streams and everything... It wouldn't take the man weeks to cross the Channel by Aircraft, so they must've landed days, weeks, a month even? in the past.

So... Does the Doctor just go kill the current lot or something? :P

As for the last Christmas Specail's paradoxical nature, don't even- I can't even.

Just a heads up. Series 6 is being repeated now on BBC Three, I think, but...

25th August - Series 7 Starts. Judging by Wonkipedia it'll run for about five episodes, then break, then we have the Christmas special where *cough* happens, and then it returns in early 2013 for the last 2/3 (roughly) of the series.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Better start thinking about setting up that Season 7 thread soon, I guess.

August is a weird time to start: most in the UK are off doing holiday stuff - but that days ties up with a Bank Holiday weekend, so I suppose that might make sense.

Mark
    Mark

Plus it's right in the middle of the Olympics, too.

Very odd timing by the Beeb there, especially with the gap of almost three months between the first part of S7 and the Christmas episode.