Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Post Win a free trip to Mars with John A. Karr! (or at least a book)

Win a free trip to Mars with John A. Karr!
    (or at least a book)

Hello, I'm John A. Karr. I've been a member here since 2005 and my first heroic fantasy book, Rhone, has just been published in trade paperback by Wild Wolf Publishing.

RHONE

Mars has a hero that will defy both god and man ...

Rhone is an ex-soldier of mixed blood, more man than demon but with reserves of hellish power. He has led a peaceful life as a fisherman since his soldiering days and is raising his daughter, Enna. Returning home one day, he discovers Enna murdered ... or so he believes.

And so begins Rhone's manipulation by Ducain, a demigod hell-bent on ruling the heavens. After avenging his daughter's death, Rhone grieves and isolates himself in the mountains. Ducain tells him his daughter's soul is locked in purgatory but can be retrieved ... and if Rhone also frees the titan who once defied the king of gods, Enna will live again.

I'm pleased to announce that W&D Books, Wild Wolf Publishing & yours truly are giving away 2 free copies of Rhone. W&D is going to be providing a copy to one lucky North American (US & Canada) winner and Wild Wolf will be sending a copy to the 2nd winner who can be located in the UK or Europe!

To Win: just head over to www.wdbooks.net and enter the drawing, the 2 winners will be picked May 1st. Josh at W&D Books has posted the rules on his family's site so get going!

Also here:

Rules:

1) one entry per person
    2) tell us why you deserve the book
    3) include you name, address and email
    4) no purchase necessary
    5) winners will be randomly picked by John on May 1st and the books will be sent within 2 business days

Mind-blowing cover art from Peter C. Fussey:

Last edited by johnkarr; April 17th, 2010 at 03:50 PM.

Hi John

I spoke to Hobbit, he is going to look into getting you a forum in the Author section.

Ive been working on the book, in my limited free time and so far I have to say I like it! Action, gods, bad guys, blood and guts

Also, to my fellow board members, John and I ran this post/contest past Hobbit and got his ok to do this.

Good luck folks!
    Last edited by werewolfv2; April 17th, 2010 at 01:37 PM.

Awesome, werewolfv2. Glad you are enjoying. You are the first person outside of Wild Wolf to give me feedback. A thousand thank-yous to you, and Hobbit!
    Last edited by johnkarr; April 17th, 2010 at 01:42 PM.

This looks like something I might be interested in, will keep it in mind as for the moment my reading list is a bit big.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    congrats on getting published !
    is this a standalone or the debut in a series?

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    This looks like something I might be interested in, will keep it in mind as for the moment my reading list is a bit big.
    Please do, Bastard (I feel a little like I'm cussing at you). I know how it is. My own reading queue is quite backed up. Only so many hours in a day, only so many dragons you can slay.
    Last edited by johnkarr; April 17th, 2010 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by algernoninc View Post
    congrats on getting published !
    is this a standalone or the debut in a series?
    Hey, thanks algernoninc. Yeah, I had to join the ranks of the trilogy cliche. Right now I have notes and thoughts on the next two, including the apocalyptic climax of #3 where feces meets fan.

This was part of my pitch to Wild Wolf Publishing:
    RHONE is heroic fantasy, set on the planet Mars before all life is blown away during Rhone's final battle with a god gone mad. Apocalyptic, yes. But there's an upside that involves Earth ...

The story is a long-form blend (approx. 120,000 words) inspired by legendary writers Robert E. Howard, Michael Moorcock, Karl Edward Wagner and Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by johnkarr View Post
    Please do, Bastard (I feel a little like I'm cussing at you). I know how it is. My own reading queue is quite backed up. Only so many hours in a day, only so many dragons you can slay.
    Brilliant words there this book seems interesting I will be putting it on my wish list and well done on getting published

Thanks dan. Hey, you could always enter the contest and maybe get a free copy to put on the shelf until you can get to it. I can't be held liable when it calls to you in the middle of the night, waking you from your slumber ...

Thanks dan. Hey, you could always enter the contest and maybe get a free copy to put on the shelf until you can get to it. I can't be held liable when it calls to you in the middle of the night, waking you from your slumber ...

Hey, I have enough books that talk to me... or at least thats the excuse I have for hearing voices.... and if your starts up it had better have better yo'momma jokes that a certain Depack Choppra books Ive had to listen to

... as good an excuse for hearing voices as any.

What's wrong with Depak's transcendental yo'momma jokes?

Yo'Momma is so skinny the universe flows through her ...

Hey, thanks algernoninc.

The story is a long-form blend (approx. 120,000 words) inspired by legendary writers Robert E. Howard, Michael Moorcock, Karl Edward Wagner and Edgar Rice Burroughs.
    Till you and I talked about this I was wondering about this. The story had a "feel" that was familiar to me, though of course not identical.

Ive made it a bit further in Rhone, and it still is pretty good.

And guys, Im not saying this to kiss Johns butt or anything like that. I really appreciate the opportunity he gave me to be one of the 1st to read his book, but I wont say i like it just due to that.

Ha! I just entered and realised that I forgot to include the 'why'. It said Address and SFFWorld screen name so I complied!

Been filling out too many forms today, time to get some sleep I guess.

The book sounds really interesting btw, Ill definitely give it a read. If its available e-book, Ill read it even earlier though.

Yay! Another new author to try out! I look forward to reading your book, and yes, the cover art is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by imaster View Post
    Ha! I just entered and realised that I forgot to include the 'why'. It said Address and SFFWorld screen name so I complied!

Been filling out too many forms today, time to get some sleep I guess.

The book sounds really interesting btw, Ill definitely give it a read. If its available e-book, Ill read it even earlier though.
    oh sure, excuses

hehe