Thread: In Need of Help

In Need of Help

Hi all I am new to this and this is my first post. I have been searching everywhere across the internet to look for a fantasy novel series that is best for me. I am looking for a series that has many mythical creatures that like LOTR. I prefer the longer series than trilogy, but I have included some in my list anyway. I have read the first book of the LOTR and watched the films which were amazing, but donít want to read the rest yet because I want to read something that I have not read before. I have also read the first book of the song of ice and fire series but when I came to the second one it seemed very political and I was getting disinterested, this was because of the lack of fantasy, yes it has fantasy but as mentioned I like the idea of creatures e.g. Orcs, Trolls, Dragons, Magicians etc. You know what I mean.

I have put a list of what I found during my search and have listed them below, tell me which one you think is number one and why, or if you believe that there are better series please feel free to mention them. I am really struggling with finding the right series so any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Nicholas

List:
    Farseer Trilogy - Robin Hobb
    Riftwar Saga - Raymond E. Feist
    Lord of The Rings - J.R.R. Tolkein
    A Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R. Martin
    Kingkiller Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss
    Inheritance Cycle - Christopher Paolini
    The Black Magician Trilogy - Trudi Canavan
    Traitor Spy Trilogy - Trudi Canavan
    Discword - Terry Pratchett
    Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
    Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson
    Bartimaeus Trilogy - Jonathan Stroud

Riftwar Saga and Kingkiller Chronicles are tied for number 1. Both are amazing reads that have quick pacing and very good plots.

Judging by what you enjoyed in LotR, I'm fairly sure you'll like Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - very magical and a compelling story. You may also want to check out Gene Wolfe's The Wizard Knight. Highly recommended. From your own list I find Malazan the most to my own liking - but be prepared to be immersed without much in the way of explanations. Great read - and a LOT of pages to boost

Cheers,

Sfinx.

In terms of scope, the menagerie of various creatures, the sense of fellowship, and the general course of the plot development, the Wheel of Time series is the best fit for you in my opinion. There are many critiques found on these forums about the series, many of which are valid, but I still think you'd enjoy it. I love it despite its shortcomings in some respects.

Kingkiller Chronicles is very different from LOTR, but it is my favorite series of your list and one of my favorites period.

It took me awhile, but I am beginning to side with Rob. There are so many threads in this forum talking about each book you mentioned.

But I would say the majority here would rank these as(or close to):

A Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R. Martin
    Kingkiller Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss
    Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson
    Farseer Trilogy - Robin Hobb
    Discword - Terry Pratchett

I do not know these:
    Inheritance Cycle - Christopher Paolini
    The Black Magician Trilogy - Trudi Canavan
    Traitor Spy Trilogy - Trudi Canavan
    Bartimaeus Trilogy - Jonathan Stroud

Some good ones you may be leaving out.

Dark Tower - Stephen King
    Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson
    Chronicles of Amber - Roger Zelazny
    Prince of Nothing Trilogy (Scott Bakker)
    Gentlemen Bastard Sequence (Scott Lynch)
    The Riyria Revelations (Michael J. Sullivan)
    The Book of the New Sun (Gene Wolfe)

Honestly I'm just copying and pasting from my own TO READ list... Feel free to look at the books I have researched and put in order to read, as well as the ones at the bottom that I have read:
    http://chris.phob.net/books.htm

A good list for someone somewhat new to fantasy reading imo.

I don't know all the series, but i will comment on the ones you listed based on your criteria, that I know.
    List:
    Farseer Trilogy - Robin Hobb -Start of a good long series, but more character driven. Not alot of mysterious creatures.

Lord of The Rings - J.R.R. Tolkein- You know what your getting here it seems

A Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R. Martin -Much more of a political fantasy than a magical one. There is some magic and cool creatures, especially up North, but not the focus of the series.

Kingkiller Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss -Might work for you, but only two books in. The story of one man, and full of magic.

Inheritance Cycle - Christopher Paolini -Did you like Star Wars? Want to read it again with dragons?

Discword - Terry Pratchett - A personal favorite of mine, but it is humor and satire first in most places, set in a fantasy land, rather than pure fantasy. Still, Trolls, goblins, elves, vampires, magicians, they all show up.

A couple I would add to your 'check it out list.'

Crossroads by Kate Elliot is excellent. Gryphon like flying creatures, a background war, some magic.

Shadows of the Apt by Adrian Tchaikovsky. A lord of the rings like starting point, with the people of the lands strongly tied to different insect essences. Warlike wasps, hivelike ants, industrious beetles.

Bas Lag by China Mieville - You want something different, with very unique creatures, try this one. It is a more difficult read than the others on the list though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfinx View Post
    Judging by what you enjoyed in LotR, I'm fairly sure you'll like Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - very magical and a compelling story
    I would also recommend Covenant, very very good series, if you can stand the main character of course

Quote Originally Posted by Andor View Post
    I would also recommend Covenant, very very good series, if you can stand the main character of course
    That's a perfect comment "if you can stand the main character". Donaldson is one of my favorite authors, but Thomas's constant whining does start to get on your nerves after a while. Is anybody else still waiting for the 4th book in the final chronicle to come out?

Based on your list, I would say to try the below:
    Farseer Trilogy & Tawny Man Trilogy - Robin Hobb - Although this series can cause some deep feelings.

I would also recommend:
    The Sun Sword & House War Series by Michelle West - This world is full of magical beings, kings, Gods, Desert Kings, Nomads, Demons, etc.
    The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop - This is a different (darker) type of world w/tons of magical beings including animals.
    The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning - This series has a lot. You will love it.
    Dragon Prince & Dragon Star Trilogies by Melanie Rawn - Great read w/everything you need except elves, trolls etc., but plenty of magic, intrigue, princes, princesses and they have dragons!