Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I had it on pre-order but canceled it after reading some comments on another board. The person commenting complained at overuse of some terms, in particular the word "Flyers" used as an exclamation. It might seem silly to let this dissuade me from trying the book, but that's just the kind of thing that annoys me too.

If I live long enough, I might give it a try when the trilogy is complete. I've resolved not to buy any more series books until they're all finished. Except for Abercrombie, of course.

After reading this thread, I have put it on my list, but it may be the series is completed by the time I finally get to start it. It does sound interesting though.

The father-daughter thing is being sold as a major part of the novel, and frankly it isn't:
    Well, see that's the problem. And the media coverage is all about his antecedents and how much he got paid. Getting them to talk about the virals and the universe is difficult. But of course, I can go read an excerpt, etc., so eventually, I'll look into it. But there's been nothing so far to get me very juiced about the story. And early reviews have to be so careful, so it makes sense for me to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Well, see that's the problem. And the media coverage is all about his antecedents and how much he got paid. Getting them to talk about the virals and the universe is difficult. But of course, I can go read an excerpt, etc., so eventually, I'll look into it. But there's been nothing so far to get me very juiced about the story. And early reviews have to be so careful, so it makes sense for me to wait.
    I disagree on Wert's interpretation on the father-daughter relationship. The entire novel deals with the relationships of people, whether parent-child, sibling-sibling, lover-lover, husband-wife, etc. In that respect, it's a very literary novel.

What specific questions have you got?

I'm waiting... I'm a wait-and-see kinda gal and have never been much into reading the new releases as soon as they come out (unless it's a favorite author). This is especially true if it's only book one of a series, and book one is a huge doorstopper.

Quote Originally Posted by kcf View Post
    I disagree on Wert's interpretation on the father-daughter relationship. The entire novel deals with the relationships of people, whether parent-child, sibling-sibling, lover-lover, husband-wife, etc. In that respect, it's a very literary novel.
    People relationships aren't inherently literary. Wert didn't say that there weren't relationships, just that the father-daughter one wasn't as central as some had been saying.

What specific questions have you got?
    What are the virals like exactly?

Is the teen the same as the girl?

What happens? Who does it happen to?

How is it different and the same from Resident Evil: Extinction?

Do they eat fungi to keep alive?

Stuff like that.

Less intelligent than the vampires in Matheson's I Am Legend, a bit like the Reavers of Joss Whedon's Firefly/Serenity universe. They live in hives and are not seen so much as feared.

That might be considered a spoiler.

Lots of stuff and to everybody.

Couldn't tell you since I generally avoide movies based on video games.

Is there a fungus among us?

Stuff like that.
    ...and some stuff not like that, too.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I pre-ordered it on BD.com but I am taking the audio version for the subway rides.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Well, I think it is really well-written and a very worthwhile post-apocalyptic book. A classic in the making I suspect. It is very tense and well set-up and he has a good feeling for characterization as well.

The book's out, and I certainly didn't sign any NDAs, so I'll spoil away:

Spoiler:
    The virals are vampires in the sense that they drink blood, can infect others, have superior strength, are very fast and can only be killed by a blow to the heart, not for supernatural reasons but because their bone density increases rapidly, aside from an area in their chests which is vulnerable. They can also be blown to pieces, set on fire, beheaded etc. They are long-lived, but not immortal. At 92 years after the initial infection, it appears that some are dying, although it's unclear if this is from lack of food or simple age.

The normal virals have an instinctive recognition of people from their former lives, but are otherwise unintelligent. They are less sophisticated and smart than the vampires in I Am Legend, and for the most part are treated as 'fast zombies' from the likes of 28 Days Later.

The exception are the Twelve, the first twelve vampires infected with the chemical version of the virus. The Twelve are intelligent and capable of limited reason and negotiation, but are still unrelentingly hostile. Each one of the Twelve has a sort-of telepathic communication with the other virals he infected, or infected by those he infected and so on. Effectively, all of the vampires are part of a lineage of infection extending back to the Twelve. The Twelve also have the ability to project into the minds of normal humans, disorienting them and even driving them crazy, but they must be close by to make this work. Killing one of the Twelve severs the connection between the members of the lineage and makes them vulnerable to certain influences and counter-weapons, which really would be a massive spoiler.

Spoiler:
    Yes. The final iteration of the virus is what the military experiment was about, to find a form of immortality. This final form of the virus was given to Amy, the Thirteenth, and she now ages very slowy, explaining why she is a teenager 92 years after the initial infection. She is also regarded as a viral by the other virals, and is thus left alone by them.

Spoiler:
    The main characters are a collection of people from the settlement. They find Amy and take her in, attracting the attention of one of the Twelve who is intrigued by her (they are aware of her 'special status', unlike the normal virals). The main characters then flee from the besieged settlement with Amy, intending to travel back to the base where Amy was infected and seeing if there was a cure. The bulk of the second half of the book is a road trip from California to Las Vegas to the military base in the Rocky Mountains and then back again with what they discover.

I don't recall there being any similarities to Resident Evil at all.

The virals don't. The humans eat whatever they can to stay alive, but mostly raise cattle and grow crops outside the settlement (the virals have no interest in crops and leave them unmolested when they attack at night; the cattle are brought in at nightfall).

I just finished it this morning and tore through the last 250 pages. Great, great book. Very solid characterization, believable reasoning behind the collapse and one thing in particular I was very pleased about, towards the end:

Spoiler:
    When Peter and his gang finally encountered the Army, that is the Army of Texas, the soldiers weren't complete asses, nor were the superior and commanding officers. Too often in these apocalyptic tales whenever the remnants of an military unit are encountered, the military types turn out to be useless or borderline psychotic.

The reveal about Lish/Alicia was pretty surprising, too. Jarring and effective.

Some Dude
    Just bought the book thanks to all the recommendations. Can't wait to delve into it!

Thanks Wert, Rob. That was helpful. I'm aware that these things are spoilers. That's why early reviews don't have the information and one has to wait.

No problem Kat, I realize I was being a bit glib in my responses. The book was great and will sit in my head for a while. Very very good book, and easily in my top 10 (and probably top 3-5) of the year.

If anyone is allowed to be glib with me, it would be you.

And why is it so very, very good? You said a little, but elucidate. Why is it so memorable?