Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Time Travel Books

I have read some classics about time travel. I am trying to find some more that are quality and not some junk like most of the new stuff on the subject. The Time Machine was a good book, or Simak's Time and Again or Ward Moore's Bring the Jubilee. Robert Heinlein wrote one I would think is time travel called Door into Summer. Does anymore have any more they can think of that would be good and not cheesy, I would prefer some a little older.

Seeker of Stuff Moderator Kamakhya's Avatar
    I'd recommend Timescape by Gregory Benford.

Three older books all involving travelling forward in time in one way or another:

Laurence Manning - The Man Who Awoke
    Larry Niven - A World Out of Time
    Joe Haldeman - The Forever War

IIRC, The Man Who Folded Himself - David Gerrold

Way Station by Clifford Simak.An older book considered to be a classic.

Way Station is a great book, by one of my favorite authors. I am not sure where the time travel comes in, but know it is a good one. Thanks for the tips.

Yeah, regardless of time travel, Way Station is an excellent book. Wonderfully atmospheric too.

Just remembered another...unusual book:

Terry Greenhough - Time and Timothy Grenville.

Not a great book, but moderately ok, and definately not run-of-the-mill.

If you don't mind stepping slightly outside normal SF, Time and Again by Jack Finney is a beautiful if over-sentimental book. Quite convincing and true to itself.

If you want to stay in straight SF and you like it hardcore (as in, written by a real physicist) I'd highly recommend Timemaster by Robert L. Forward. His writing style is average, but his vision is excellent, disconcerting and self-consistent. And he doesn't mind the weird stuff, like what happens when you meet your future self.

Lastly, Strange Attractors by William Sleator is quite good and addresses some chaos theory along with the branching universes things. It is aimed at the young teen market though, so this is only if you still enjoy kids' books (though Sleator writes for smart kids, and some of his work deserves a much wider audience.)

Three cheers for Way Station, for whatever reason!

Sort of an offshoot of time travel, a great read is John MacDonald's "The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything". The current film "Clockstoppers" seems to have stolen the main premise of this enjoyable story.

galaga99, the one you are mentioning, Door into Summer, is that the one in which the main character meets himself in the future under the guise of an old man called Mentor ?
    There is another one, much more romantically enclined, I think it's named "The cat who walked through the wall".
    Apart from the time-travel possibilities, wherein Heinlein proves to be a genius (read the hilarious short story "And he built a crooked house" on http://www.freesfonline.de/Home2.html) it's a quite touching story.

galaga99, I forgot to mention Poul Anderson's The Time Patrol.
    I think you will like it.
    Historical fiction/fantasy is also part of it, it's not pure science-fiction, although the time travel concept is essential to it.
    Especially the historical fiction parts are very interesting to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand
    IIRC, The Man Who Folded Himself - David Gerrold
    Yes, that was quite an interesting one. I've read it a few times. I like the way he solved the paradoxes

I also liked Tim Powers' The Anubis Gates. Pretty good time travel, but it's not straight sci-fi. It's slightly fantastical in its explanations of how time travel works. Still really good though!

I'm pretty sure there was a classic time-travel book called Replay which inspired The Butterfly Effect. It's in the Sci-Fi masterworks, so I imagine it's very good.

Thumbs up

The Big Time by Fritz Lieber is an old style space opera approach to a parachronic war. It's fun. It won a Hugo.

Up the Line by Robert Silverberg is probably my favorite time travel novel. It concerns traveling back in time as a tourist trade. Quite the hoot, endlessly clever and inventive, and Silverberg's description of historic events in the context of the story are very well done. And it's a classic 70's dirty book to boot. I don't know, does that make it cheesy?

Silverberg's written a lot of Time Travel stuff. There's a collection-Cronos, which collects a few good ones. The Time Hoppers, and Project Pendulum in that collection are very good.
    Last edited by ArthurFrayn; January 26th, 2006 at 02:33 PM.