Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reading in October 2013

Here's where you tell us what Fantasy and Horror you've been reading this month. Whether good or bad, we want to hear what you think.

And as it is October, we've started our now-traditional Countdown to Hallowe'en. Randy M has compiled a list of things to see and do as we approach my favourite time of October!

Feel free to join in, comment or disagree: http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showt...allowe-en-2013

See you next month!

M.
    Mark

Bookdepository delivered King of Thorns at last...let's see

Theft of swords Book 1 of Ryria Reveations

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Blade of Tyshalle by Matthew Stover - the second Caine book.

Currently reading Small Favour , book 11 of the Dresden Files.

Loving it so far, though probably to be expected at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rulkez View Post
    Currently reading Small Favour , book 11 of the Dresden Files.

Loving it so far, though probably to be expected at this point.
    Small world. I just finished White Night in the series and was about to start this book next. I thought that it was the 10th book of the series though, or am I missing a book along my path?

Science-Fantasy Zealot symbolhunter's Avatar
    this is an update to my Sept. post regarding A Traveller In Time by Alison Uttley.

A Traveller In Time by Alison Uttley is a very fine fantasy Young Adult novel. It was written in 1939 and involves a young girl, Penelope Taberner, who time slips into the 16th century two years before the Babington conspiracy to murder Queen Elizabeth. She actually meets the head of the Babington family, Anthony, who later became the lynch-pin of the plot.

Of course, history cannot be changed and yet Penelope knows the terrible outcome of that later attempt on the life of Elizabeth. How does she avoid creating a time-paradox? Well, read the book and you will see how adroitly Uttley handles that problem!

The characters are superbly created. They have a vivid reality and one will not forget Aunt Tissy {nor her 15th century counterpart}, Uncle Barnabas her sister Allison and the host of other characters in the two time periods. Above all, Penelope Taberner is a delightful, sensitive heroine. Over the two year period of the novel she matures and strengthens. She has the ability of “second sight” which, in her case, allows the time slips to occur. The transfers have a dreamlike quality and Uttley had a fascination with dreams and visions which she outlines herself in the Forward to the novel.

An interesting fact is that Uttley came from the area where all the historical events take place in the book and she has a remarkable precision and selection of detail which makes the world of this novel stand out with wonderful clarity.

This is a wistfully moving book and well worth reading. It is not yet available in e-format but easily obtainable in paperback. For not too much more one can get the HB edition which includes beautiful woodcut-style illustrations by Phyllis Bray.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I finished Emperor of Thorns about an hour ago and I think it is a fitting end to the series. Not quite as enjoyable as the first novel in the series but still quite good.

I am going to read a quick short story entitled Dead Bitch in a Bathtub and then will start the steampunk novel Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl which I have heard a lot of great things about.

Quote Originally Posted by MattNY View Post
    Small world. I just finished White Night in the series and was about to start this book next. I thought that it was the 10th book of the series though, or am I missing a book along my path?
    No you're correct , it's book 10.

So - I dont get lots of time to read these days. So - I am still reading the final mistborn book:Hero of Ages. Super impressed. I am 400 pgs in and just got thrown a big ol surprise twist I did not see coming. Can't say enough how much I have enjoyed this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Darth View Post
    So - I dont get lots of time to read these days. So - I am still reading the final mistborn book:Hero of Ages. Super impressed. I am 400 pgs in and just got thrown a big ol surprise twist I did not see coming. Can't say enough how much I have enjoyed this series.
    Good to hear, it is one of my personal favorites.

Jumping back into Epic Fantasy after a slew of SF novels with The Magic of Recluce by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. I've received close to a dozen books of his to review over the years including this, the 20th anniversary edition. This will be the first novel by him I'll have read.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Jumping back into Epic Fantasy after a slew of SF novels with The Magic of Recluce by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. I've received close to a dozen books of his to review over the years including this, the 20th anniversary edition. This will be the first novel by him I'll have read.
    I have a few of his as well. Have never had the chance to read him so I look forward to what you have to say when you get done with the novel.

I finished House of Chains a few days past and now move on to Midnight Tides. I'm only about 50 pages in, but I already find it more immediately compelling than its predecessor.

House of Chains was definitely my least favorite volume of the series so far. The plot wasn't very engaging to me until the climax, and where Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice had me rooting for one side, and Gardens of the Moon had me rooting for both, in House of Chains I wanted both sides to lose. I didn't like either of the Paran sisters, and almost all of the new Malazan characters were boring to me. It was still a good book, though. I greatly enjoyed Karsa, Leoman, and Heboric, as well as Kalam and Pearl and Lostara. But my favorite characters and plotline was definitely Onrack and Trull; I hope and feel confident that I'll get a lot more of those two as the series continues. The conclusion was fantastic, with some great action but an undercut battle. The shift in the series' traditional structure was a pleasant and welcome surprise, as that element of the plotting was becoming tiresome and repetitive. It still following much of the same path, but managed to diverge from it in interesting ways. My main problems were the first 75-80% of the book feeling rather flat in a lot of places, and an imbalance in the quality and urgency of different plot threads. Much of it felt like a foregone conclusion, and, while I know this is a series where gods frequently make appearances, the repeated deus ex machina is becoming annoying. I also dislike the amount of dead characters who end up not being dead, as it takes the finality and emotional impact away from any consequential death. Additionally, I found Erickson's prose to be at an all-time worse, especially with his egregious overuse of the word "detritus," which I lamented in last month's thread and have also already come across in the early goings of Midnight Tides. Even so, I'm anxious to continue this series.

Over the last two weeks, I've read:

Cold Hand in Mine by Robert Aickman. Short ambigious horror stories. The stories might be supernatural, but they also might be psychological and about life and human issues. Aickman was a masterful writer, and some of the stories in this book are formidable, such as The Hospice. However, this isn't his strongest collection, I think, and a story like The Swords did nothing for me. 4/5.

The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All by Laird Barron. Another masterful horror writer, but this time the subject is often about tough and violent men meeting unspeakable cosmic horrors. The combination of Hammett and Lovecraft works fine by me. I'm not too fond of Barrons novels, but his three short story collections are must-buys. Stand-outs: The Sipon, The Men from Porlock, Of Dark. 4/5

Defeated Dogs by Quentin S. Crisp. I honestly don't know what too write. This is one of the best short story collections I've ever read. The stories are about life, about magic and rationality, about defeats and crushed expectations. Read it! 5/5

Immobility by Brian Evenson. The first full length novel from Evenson, I've read. Unfortunately, it was somewhat underwhelming. The story dragged at times, and some of the plot twists seemed strange. 3/5.

Next up is King of Thorns by Lawrence, Abaddon's Gate by Corey and Ace of Skulls by Wooding, as I need some lighter, more action packed reading right now.