Hybrid View

Tales of the Ketty Jay by Chris Wooding

With all the mentions the book Retribution Falls, first in the Tales of the Ketty Jay series, has been having over the last year or so, I was surprised to not be able to find a thread particularly dedicated to this book/series (other than some discussion in a general thread about the author).

Anyways, I received the other day the paperback version which was released this April, read it and really enjoyed it. I see the comparisons that have been made to Firefly, and it really does give the same type of vibe. Really liked it.

My favorite character was probably Jez. She seemed the most interesting to me, with her struggle to maintain what she is, accept what she is, and longing for a group of people that might just accept her... a place to belong. Plus, she kicked ass.

I would like to see the crew interacting more with the outside world, I think the best moments are when Frey was arguing with the whispermonger, the knights, and the ex. Also, when Cracke and Jez went to the party it was nice.

And as it has been mentioned a lot already, the cover art is beautiful.

Also, my paperback came with a Captain's Log at the end, did the other versions you guys might have read have that? I thought it was a very nice touch and gives better insight into Frey.

The sequel, Black Lung Captain, is coming out in July 29, who's got that on their ASAP to read list? I sure am reading it as soon as I get my hands on it. It has a nice cover too, Werthead posted it in another thread. My Retribution Falls paperback has a preview for it at the end, will check it out tonight or something.

Anyways, Retribution Falls was a very fun book and I'm highly anticipating the rest of the journey with this crew. Oh, and Bess is awesome too.

Quagaar Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    The sequel, Black Lung Captain, is coming out in July 29, who's got that on their ASAP to read list?
    defo that! was surprised how much i enjoyed "Falls", warts and all. very Firefly imho, but in no way is that a bad thing.

ah Firefly, what a beauty that was.
    Last edited by barfly; July 14th, 2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: ugh! shpellink

I've got Retribution Falls sitting near the top of my 'To Read' pile. I want to start it when my Summer holidays have officially started - something to read and relax with.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbison View Post
    I've got Retribution Falls sitting near the top of my 'To Read' pile. I want to start it when my Summer holidays have officially started - something to read and relax with.
    Better move it soon Book 2 Black Lung Captain will be released on 29 July 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by DurzoBlint View Post
    I already have it pre-ordered:
    http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9...-Captain-Bk.-2
    http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9...-Captain-Bk.-2

Quote Originally Posted by DurzoBlint View Post
    July? That's miles away. I reckon I could burn through it in a couple of days.

I definately have the black lung captain on my to read list. I'll get it the second it hits the stores!