Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    My friend, who is an independent filmmaker, is looking for airship-based fantasy novels to option and adapt
    You'll also find that it slots uncannily easily into a classic three-act structure, and if you imagine a CUT TO: transition at the start of every new scene, then the job's pretty much already done

trolling > dissertation nquixote's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wooding View Post
    You'll also find that it slots uncannily easily into a classic three-act structure, and if you imagine a CUT TO: transition at the start of every new scene, then the job's pretty much already done
    Heh. Nice.

Of course, if my friend's new company fails to rustle up money, they won't be adapting much of anything at all...

I loved the first book; it was a fun, swashbuckling read with great characters. The only problem was that I had slight difficulties getting the book through the library system here and I am guessing it might take me a while to get Black Lung Captain after it comes out.

How much bad-assery is involved here?

Is it on a Morgan or Gemmel scale? A Scott Lynch level?

I'm pretty much decided on picking these up but I would like to know ahead of time if I'm likely to develope a man crush on any of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Andols View Post
    How much bad-assery is involved here?

Is it on a Morgan or Gemmel scale? A Scott Lynch level?

I'm pretty much decided on picking these up but I would like to know ahead of time if I'm likely to develope a man crush on any of the characters.
    Bad-assery doesn't really apply here much... though there's a character who's quite a badass, but I don't know about a man-crush with that character.

That doesn't mean there won't be some badass moments, but I don't think you should come into it with that frame of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    Bad-assery doesn't really apply here much... though there's a character who's quite a badass, but I don't know about a man-crush with that character.

That doesn't mean there won't be some badass moments, but I don't think you should come into it with that frame of mind.
    OK good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Andols View Post
    OK good to know.
    Of the authors mentioned, I think you could somehow equate the main character to Lynch's Locke... they'll show moments of brilliant badassness, they'll rely on luck many times, and you might find them placed in impossible odds against more powerful characters getting their ass handed to them and just finding ways to overcome them. And there's a scheming factor to it too.

So yeah, overall both of them are not badass characters in that they're not going around kicking people and taking names, but they are often put in situations in which the way they handle it might give you a glimpse of badassness. And yeah, they're quite skilled in their own right, but often they need to manipulate the situation to get an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    Of the authors mentioned, I think you could somehow equate the main character to Lynch's Locke... they'll show moments of brilliant badassness, they'll rely on luck many times, and you might find them placed in impossible odds against more powerful characters getting their ass handed to them and just finding ways to overcome them. And there's a scheming factor to it too.

So yeah, overall both of them are not badass characters in that they're not going around kicking people and taking names, but they are often put in situations in which the way they handle it might give you a glimpse of badassness. And yeah, they're quite skilled in their own right, but often they need to manipulate the situation to get an advantage.
    Perfect. You might as well be getting commision.

*slides Bastard a fiver*

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    LOL. I see you're finding the way forward here nicely, Chris!

Mark
    Mark

Bookdepository just notified me that they should be shipping my pre-order release soon. Can't wait for it.

Woo! Hope you like.

I just started Retribution Falls last night. I didn't get very far in, but the first few pages were a good start. My copy of The Black Lung Captain is on the way, but I have a few others to read before I get to it. Unless the first book is spectacular, then I just may have to keep going with the story.

What is the plan for length of this series? Is it a trilogy?

Each book in the series stands alone - meaning each book is a separate adventure with a conclusion - but they're better read in sequence because there will be ongoing threads running through. As to the series length, currently it's at 4, but there may well be more. Due to the way it's constructed, I'm never going to be more than one book away from tying up all the loose ends.

So basically the answer is, it's going to keep going for as long as I'm still having fun with it

Okay, that is good to know. I know that there has been some discussion on the forum over this in the past, but I'm just wondering, what genre would you yourself put these books? I'm only a few pages in, so it seems more like science fiction to me, but I've heard that there are some pronounced fantasy aspects as well. I don't mean to turn this into an interview, I'm just wondering what your point of view would be, as the author.