Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Oh, God, genre definitions... I have no idea. Let's just say it's a book and be done with it

Either that or we could call it Retro-Futurist Zombie Fusion Bucklepunk?

I'd say it's a Fantience.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Let's just say it's a book and be done with it. LOL.
    Love that. I can see that in an SFFWorld review, on the cover of a book....

Do like the term 'Bucklepunk' as well - 'It's BUCKLEPUNK!!!!' though it did make me think Adam and the Ants, for a brief moment:

Feeling better now.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wooding View Post
    Oh, God, genre definitions... I have no idea. Let's just say it's a book and be done with it

Either that or we could call it Retro-Futurist Zombie Fusion Bucklepunk?
    Haha sounds good.

Fantience/ Retro- Futurist Zombie Fusion Bucklepunk... interesting. Should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksbane View Post
    Haha sounds good.

Fantience/ Retro- Futurist Zombie Fusion Bucklepunk... interesting. Should be fun.
    Now, the assignment will be as you read to find from where those descriptions came from.

Do like the term 'Bucklepunk' as well - 'It's BUCKLEPUNK!!!!' though it did make me think Adam and the Ants, for a brief moment.
    As long as it gets me my own section in Waterstones, I can live with the 80s music associations

In other news, I really overuse emoticons. Like, tons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    Now, the assignment will be as you read to find from where those descriptions came from.
    Certainly. Although I am not a big fan of zombies, so I am hoping they are not all that prevalent in the story.
    Last edited by Haliax; July 23rd, 2010 at 08:49 AM.

Technically, there aren't any at all... but you'll see what I mean when you get there.

Also, nice work on ordering the second book before you've even started the first I like you!

It was half price, who can resist anything that is half price? And it has an awesome cover. Put that altogether with great reviews, and the decision to pre-order was easy.

trolling > dissertation nquixote's Avatar
    Chris - just out of curiosity, was your steampunk-meets-sorcery setting at all inspired by Final Fantasy video games (as was Scott Lynch's urban setting in Lies of Locke Lamora)?

Nah. I did the whole anime thing back when I wrote Broken Sky in 1625 or whenever. Always ahead of the curve, me

Yay! They've apparantly sent my copy of the Black Lung Captain. Estimated delivery is 12th of August though.

I just finished Retribution Falls, and I must say that I'm happy that The Black Lung Captain is on the way. This is one of the very few books that I've read where I was interested in every point of view character in the book, and that I actually enjoyed every character. There weren't any roll of the eye dialogue moments either. Overall it was just a very enjoyable read, and I'm happy that I gave it a shot.

It is certainly not the same kind of story that I'm used to reading, and I must say that the comparisons to Firefly actually put me off a little bit, since I'm not usually much of a sci-fi person. The story does have quite a bit of sci-fi in it, but just enough fantasy elements to make it interesting for me. And of course I now understand the zombie reference.

Now just a couple day wait for Black Lung Captain to arrive, and I'm going to look into Chris' other books as well.
    Last edited by Haliax; July 25th, 2010 at 03:59 PM.

I've done a bit of reading around the interwebs, and I've seen some discussion about these books being YA. I've read this about a few authors that I myself wouldn't consider YA, such as Sanderson and Weeks. It seems that if there isn't persistent foul language or graphic description of violence and sex in a book, they get thrown into the YA bin.

Is there anyone here who would call these books YA? While reading Retribution Falls I didn't really get that vibe myself, but maybe my personal definition of YA fantasy needs adjustment.

I'm finding myself cursing the person that invented the YA term, just as I dislike whomever came up with "jump the shark" and "plot holes".

These terms are getting thrown around too freely without much thought behind what they actually mean.