Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Well, apparently Hobbit enjoyed it well enough as well: review

Good review, and sums it up much better than I could. And could it be we've come upon a new genre definition? Bucklepunk. Well done Chris.

I just finished Black Lung yesterday myself. I agree with Hobbit that's just as good as the first book. Both are real fun, rip-roaring yarns. I can't wait for the third book!

Yay! Thanks Mark!

It would be hilarious if Bucklepunk took off. Fans would seethe at yet another arbitrary division in the genre. Booksellers would attack me on sight. I'd be the new Terry Goodkind. 'I don't write STEAMPUNK, you pestilent oik. My books are a genre unto themselves!'

I don't care about genres as long as I get another book.

But yeah, being your own genre would be pretty cool.

I don't care about genres as long as I get to write another book

Well, I can't think of anything else that I could call bucklepunk. We just might have to broaden the definition so that it includes more than it should.

Also, the use of emoticons in this thread is getting out of hand.

Wait... don't knights have buckles on their armour?

*snaffles George R. R. Martin*

Ah yes. Now we have a genre that includes Chris Wooding, and losely GRRM. How about anything to do with ships? Where there are ships, there are buckles. So now we got Reddick, Hobb, Sullivan's latest- The Emerald Storm, Lynch's Red Seas Under Red Skies, etc.... a full blown subgenre. Now to inform the general public/reader...

According to Chris and the News section of his website, The Iron Jackal is no longer The Iron Jackal, because after chucking the first quarter of the book out, the Iron Jackal is no longer in the book. Makes sense.

Any idea what the title may be changed to, Chris? Or are you too early in the writing process now to really know?

Don't know yet, although we're still referring to it as The Iron Jackal for the moment to save confusing people. I'll let you know once a suitable title presents itself. It's all cracking along nicely though. Having reworked the plot and doing all the pre-stuff I should be able to get writing it next week, meaning it shouldn't be too long delayed if all goes well...

Read interesting books
    I finished Black Lung Captain and I am a bit mixed; I reread Retribution Falls before starting this one and I remembered how good it was, while the Black Lung Captain has great moments but overall falls short.

All the crew interactions in solving their personal issues from the last volume are superb, as are Frey's interactions with Trinica

The plot is ok, less suspenseful than in RF and there is a bit too much repetition and not enough new stuff

The biggest failing though was in pulp moments like the silly beginning and the Amalicia part which made me cringe

All in all I am still in the series and I hope the next installment recaptures the excitement of RF

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    Finished the book on Sunday and loved it as much as Retribution Falls.

The opening scene was very funny and the cast interactions are really well written. It has been a while since I have read a book and liked the characters so much. The relationship between Frey and Trinica really stuck me – mostly because I it has similarities to the relationship I have with my ex-fiancée (in a metaphorical way - not that she went and became a pirate captain). For me, the story expanded our knowledge of the world and hinted at things to come.

The aerial battles are written superbly and create some great mental imagery. While my imagination does a good job, I’d still love to see these in motion on the big screen.

Both books have been exciting and thrilling reads. I’ll be looking forward to the further adventures of the Ketty Jay.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Think you've mentioned two things there, Wulfa, which are to my mind a strength of this series: the brilliant characterisation and the rather filmic battle sequences.

Can't disagree with what you've said, myself.

Mark
    Mark

Well, I just finished this bucklepunk awesomeness. I don't know about you guys, but I enjoyed Black Lung Captain more than Retribution Falls. I think overall the character interaction was stronger and the pace was better. In all just a ton of fun, looking forward to the next book. But I understand why some will find Retribution Falls more, but there's certain a lot to like from this book regardless.

I also really liked how the rest of the series is setup at the moment with all the revelations and events that occur in this one.

By the way, who are the two characters in the cover... Grist and who? Jez?

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    Well, I just finished this bucklepunk awesomeness. I don't know about you guys, but I enjoyed Black Lung Captain more than Retribution Falls. I think overall the character interaction was stronger and the pace was better. In all just a ton of fun, looking forward to the next book. But I understand why some will find Retribution Falls more, but there's certain a lot to like from this book regardless.

I also really liked how the rest of the series is setup at the moment with all the revelations and events that occur in this one.

By the way, who are the two characters in the cover... Grist and who? Jez?
    I think it is Samandra Bree and Colden Grudge. And I don't know if I found it better, but it was at least just as good. Really can't wait for the next one... no more delays allowed, Chris.