Where to start with Richard Morgan

Based on what I've been reading around here, Morgan has some darker themed books. I was wondering where should I start. I know this is the fantasy forum, so I might be pointed to The Steel Remains, but his Altered Carbon series also has me intrigued, any advice?
    Last edited by Donteb84; May 7th, 2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: wrong word...

His only fantasy novel is The Steel Remains, so if you want to start with his fantasy work, there you are. I would suggest starting with Altered Carbon though, it is, in my opinion, his best work and portrays his overall style.

After that there are more Kovacs novels and Black Man, but also Market Forces, which doesn't get mentioned as often as it should and isn't to be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    His only fantasy novel is The Steel Remains, so if you want to start with his fantasy work, there you are. I would suggest starting with Altered Carbon though, it is, in my opinion, his best work and portrays his overall style.
    What he said.

I've also read that I might enjoy The Steel Remains more if i DIDN'T read Altered Carbon first, just because AC is better of a sci-fi novel then Steel Remains is fantasy, and since ppl consider AC his best work. Does this make sense?

It does make sense. The Steel Remains is decent, but in my opinion Morgan's sci-fi is superior. And Altered Carbon, while being his first novel, is still by far his best.

So if you would rather ease into Morgan, starting with The Steel Remains or one of his stand-alone sci-fi novels would make sense. Starting with Altered Carbon might spoil you. I know I've certainly been somewhat disappointed in Morgan's other stuff, mainly because I didn't feel like it was quite at the same level.

The sequel to The Steel Remains is also due out early next year, I believe, if you care about that sort of thing.

I actually liked the sequel to Altered Carbon the best, Broken Angels I think it is called. But yeah, Altered Carbon is the place to start. One book I had a really hard time with was Market Forces, I finished it but really didn't like it at all. Anybody else?

definitely altered carbon. still his best book if you ask me, and a great start to a great trilogy.

Yea, I already ordered The Steel Remains. I figure If I read AC first, I'll get spoiled, so I'll go from his decent work, up to his best. Thanks guys.

I've read AC and Steel Remains. Both were merely "meh" to me. I'd say find something else...

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    I actually liked the sequel to Altered Carbon the best, Broken Angels I think it is called. But yeah, Altered Carbon is the place to start. One book I had a really hard time with was Market Forces, I finished it but really didn't like it at all. Anybody else?
    Hated Market Forces. Made no sense at all in economic terms (governments let entire country-sized resource areas be divided based on a few fancy cars fighting? There were other issues I had with it that I cannot clearly recall now, I think I wrote a review on Amazon years ago for it, may check.

His Woken series was far more enjoyable.

found it, the single malt advertising campaign drove me nuts (and I have drunk some of the bottlings he mentioned!)."
    Last edited by Woofdog2; May 11th, 2010 at 12:34 PM.

I thoroughly enjoyed Altered Carbon, even though I don't read a ton of SF. Very gritty, complex story.

I started reading The Steel Remains but didn't finish it. Wasn't the book's fault; I had a lot checked out of the library at that time and didn't get around to renewing it before someone else put a hold on it. Long story short, I'm just going to buy the paperback and start over.

Definitely Altered Carbon, it's the ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Donteb84 View Post
    Based on what I've been reading around here, Morgan has some darker themed books. I was wondering where should I start. I know this is the fantasy forum, so I might be pointed to The Steel Remains, but his Altered Carbon series also has me intrigued, any advice?
    it really depends what you like, but most are good. AC and BM and MF are all total bonce, but some aren't as good. BA and WF and SR are, for me, not as good example sof his prowess.

Having read everything by him, I'm going to reccomend starting with blackman(thirteen). It's got a very similar style to everything else and is a solid single volume work. If you dont like it chances are you wont enjoy the kovacs books.

Steel Remains is different in everything except writing style plus it has inter-species homo-erotica which threw a lot of people off.

Two words for you: Altered Carbon!

This book is awesome!

Patrick