Minority Report- Opinions

I just saw this movie and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Much better than the last Speilberg sci-fi fiasco, A.I. It really gets to the issue of protection from ourselves at what price? What are we willing to sacrifice for security? There are also some funny predictions as to the future of personalized marketing. Billboards can scan your eye and address you by name to sell their product.. annoying and creepy at the same time!

I'm not one of those ladies who drools over Tom Cruise, so when I say that I thought he was teriffic in this movie I am referring to his acting! He does intense very well.

It also had a preview for that crop circle movie from the director of The Sixth Sense (I can't remember the title of the movie, and I can't ever spell that guy's name right; it's 2:30am and I'm too lazy to look either up!). This was the first time I've actually wanted to see the movie. It now looks scary and cool, instead of somewhat lame and weird.

I haven't seen Minority Report yet but I am definitely going to because I've heard so many good things about it (and I love movies set in the future).

Eloquence & Inebriation Moderator
    I was very impressed with Minority Report. Though I'm probably the only person who loved A.I., I did have apprehensions that Spielberg might over compensate, with Minority Report, as a result of the massive rejection A.I. experienced at the box-office.

I found that Spielbergs handle on the story, camera, and actors enable him to create a movie driven by the plot rather then overwhelmed by special effects. However I was impressed with the special effects and enjoyed Minority Report much more then I thought I was.

And Tom Cruise did a great job, especially in the one scene where the pre-cog is telling him about his son.

The crop circle movie is called "Signs", Written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan who also wrote and directed "The Sixth Sense" and "Unbreakable". This is an up and coming director to keep an eye on. I am really looking forward to "Signs"
    Last edited by enazwo; June 24th, 2002 at 11:29 PM.

Uh, Moderator
    Cygnus,
    M. Night Shamyalan's(sp???) new movie is called Signs.

Now if he would only get on to making a sequel to unbreakable...

I enjoyed A. I. as well..I don't think it was a'fiasco'..I think Spielberg finally got around to making a thought-provoking, adult film. A.I. is a haunting film that deserved better attention than it got. Haley and Jude Law were outstanding in the film. Minority report looks good, got some good reviews and it is based on a Phillip K. Dick story..(who wrote Do Androids Dream of Electric sheep?...the inspiration for the greatest 'adult' sci/fi film, Blade Runner!) so i think it is worth seeing, so I hope to see it soon!

I live in my own little world . . . or one of its suburbs.
    I enjoyed Minority Report -- the concept was great, the acting was mostly good, and the machinery was really well designed -- but it had its problems. It was a bit predictable in areas (though, not in others) and there was some of Spielberg's usual cheesiness, but not too much of either to ruin the film. Overall, I dug it.

I actually liked A.I. My biggest problem with the film is that I felt it went on too long. I thought it would have been better to end the movie when the aliens first discovered his body covered in snow. I would have preffered something more open ended. And though this movie, too, suffered from some of Spielberg's cheesiness (the robot carnival thingy, for example), I thought it was good, if for nothing more than the concept and the opening forty-five minutes, which were suprisingly creepy. And the scene of NewYork overflowing with water was an amazing sight. Some of the effects in that movie were both stunning and not over the top. A difficult combination.

And I, too, am looking forward to Shyamalan's signs. I think it has the potential to outdo his previous two.

Minority Report: excellent movie. Possibly my favorite Spielberg film--need time to digest. Action, sci-fi, murder-mystery noir. Entertaining on a visceral yet also intellectual level. There may be some plot holes, but if you are finding too many of them you probably missed some stuff or are not rationalizing very well. Disliked the car factory scene which was filmed with a jarring camera and the overly used assembly line prop, otherwise I thought it was solid throughout.

Ouch! I guess I picked the wrong forum to bash A.I.!! Though I do agree that Jude Law was excellent, and have since vowed to watch anything he stars in.

Thanks to everyone who had the right title and knew how to spell Shyamalan.

I saw Minority Report yesterday. It was very good. It had plot twists in it that I didn't anticipate, and I enjoyed that.

After the movie I went to Best Buy to browse computer games. It was a new store and all the screens were all on and the music up loud, and it felt like I'd stepped into the movie. I had to high tail it out of there, it was so disorienting.

Susan

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar

Thumbs up

I thought MR was excellent.

In my HO, it is the best all-rounder Cruise has been in. His best performance is in Magnolia, but MR had everything including a great acting perormance.

As a 'daddy' myself, the plot was very unnerving and I thought Cruise handled the 'confrontation' scene (no spoilers) incredibly well. I felt it, man oh man.

What I liked most of all, is how believable the gadgets and environment of the film are. The vehicles were clunky and dirty and even the holograms were a bit rough round the edges, really cool.

It's taken years for Spielberg and Cruise to get togther and it has been worth the wait for me.

Off-topic here but I thought Cruise' better performance was in 'Vanilla Sky'. Now that was a weird (but fascinating) movie...

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Yea, you're quite right, Vanilla Sky was great. I just thought Cruise was playing a totally different character in Magnolia to his usual stereo-type I.E. Successful good looking cool dude.