signed books, when they sort of aren't signed..but..are..

I recently recieved some signed books out of the UK. Oddly enough they were signed by a now dead author, even though the books were not published till a few years after death. The publisher used a stamp with the authors signature, thus making the book signed from beyond the grave.

Now using a stamp isnt that odd since many publishers have done that and continue to do that. What raised my eyebrows is that in this case it wasnt possible by any stretch of the imagination for the author to sign the book. Of course then we have authors that will sign your book for you, some of these authors also just use a stamp, or have one of their people stamp it.

At what point do publishers/etc cross the line?

And then we have bookplates. A book plate is signed by the author then stuck into the book.
    Ive discussed this with several authors and some are forceful on one view, while others feel just as strongly on the other.

Some authors feel that a bookplate is just as good as a signed book, while others disagree. I have been told in no uncertain terms that as long as the book has a signature in it, either by bookplate or by the author opening the book to sign it, its all the same.

What do you think?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sanderson had RJ's signiture stamped onto tGS as he felt it would be wrong that if he signed someones copy only his signature would be on it. I have no problems with that and from memory only a couple of my books have stamped signatures in them. The limited edition HB Drenai books from gemmell I think are stamped.

I did not realise there was a line to cross. The only time I'd be pissed was if they were selling it as a signed copy and it was a stamp.

Bookplates are worthless to me and from my observations buyers value a bookplate in a book a lot less than an actual signed book.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Sanderson had RJ's signiture stamped onto tGS as he felt it would be wrong that if he signed someones copy only his signature would be on it. I have no problems with that and from memory only a couple of my books have stamped signatures in them. The limited edition HB Drenai books from gemmell I think are stamped.

I did not realise there was a line to cross. The only time I'd be pissed was if they were selling it as a signed copy and it was a stamp.

Bookplates are worthless to me and from my observations buyers value a bookplate in a book a lot less than an actual signed book.

well, then you have me on Sanderson and Jordan since the stamped versions are listed as signed..

As a book'a'holic I know if I buy a signed book I want it to have been opened and signed by the author. Of course as a seller I have to somehow tread between what the authors, publishers and the buyers want..
    Last edited by werewolfv2; May 17th, 2010 at 10:07 PM.