Fantasy that reads like Avatar: The Last Airbender?

Hi everyone. I just finished the Black Jewels Trilogy and it left a weird taste in my mouth, so I'm kinda looking for something solid, clean and 'kiddy' to read next.

The thing is I love, love, love the Nickelodeon cartoon series Avatar: The Last Airbender (Legend of Aang). I realize that since it's a kids' show, not a lot of people would be familiar with it, but it's the closest thing to what I'm looking for right now. Something light, imaginative, upbeat, with plenty of lively dialogues, but with proper respect for adults and the real world, set in a world without modern technology (not even steam engines), and if possible no gods and no talking animals please.

If something like that doesn't exist, I guess any good YA with solid world-building would do.

Thanks in advance!

Eragon maybe? You might like the Lies of Locke Llamora too. It's pretty dark and heavy at points but for the most part it's very fun and tight with great dialogue.

You might like The Belgariad by David Eddings. There are gods, but the books have the light and sometimes silly banter of Airbender.

The closest match to Avatar would be, for money, either Wheel of Time or, more notably, Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy. The use of metal-burning in the latter is similar to element-bending, and the series is likewise wide in age appeal and complete.

Em well some YA fantasy I really like (I am a YA) are the spooks series joseph delany the keys to the kingdom series garath nix and the wind on fire series william nicholson
    Hope that helps
    Last edited by dan95 DL=<3; June 6th, 2010 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm already familiar with most of the titles mentioned and did enjoy them a lot. I think I'll look into the Mistborn series and Wind on Fire series though. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

weightless astronaut
    Bridge of birds.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieem View Post
    Bridge of birds.
    Wow, I just looked it up on Amazon and that might be exactly what I'm looking for Thanks!

weightless astronaut
    No worries, hope you enjoy it because it's one of my all-time top ten.

if you really like the last air bender you should check out. age of elements - infamous.
    http://www.amazon.com/Infamous-Age-E...dp/B00JKXINMU/

Definitely Mistborn. You might also enjoy Steelheart.

Mistborn is basically the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon version of magic. Its considered one of the best magic systems in fantasy because it makes the crazy action make sense, in much the same way that the Avatar universe makes its own kind of sense.