Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reading in April 2012

This is where you talk to us about your monthly Fantasy and Horror Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.

We've held over our Book Club books this month, so Our Fantasy Book of the Month is Among Others by Jo Walton. Discuss here.

Similarly, Our SF Book of the Month is Into the Looking Glass by John Ringo. Discuss here.

Mark
    Mark

I gave up on The Way of Kings at page 500-ish. I don't see why I should read 1200 pages of a book that's more uneventful than most 100 page books. I was really disappointed with Sanderson's characters too, they could have pulled me through but every single one just ended up dull. I don't understand the praise at all. So disappointing, I loved Mistborn.

Rogue Warrior
    I finshed up River of Shadows, loved it, cant wait for Night of Swarms.
    I'm going to start on Wooding's Retribution Falls tonight.

I am busy being intensely annoyed. I was nearing the end of Control Point when I came upon a gap in the recording. I called Audible yesterday, and they supposedly assigned a tech to repair the recording, but I don't want to finish the book til they get those missing minutes restored. And that won't be til at least Monday, sigh. So now I'm back to listening to the new Pacey recording of Best Served Cold -- which is good, and much better than the original Page recording, but I've heard the book before so it's still not all that exciting. I'm also reading some inconsequential non-genre ebooks. But in the meantime I'm still annoyed, 'cause I feel the end of Control Point calling to me.....rackafratz the rackafratzin......

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I've started In Legend Born by Laura Resnick. It's early times yet, but I think this will be a good epic with a lot of factions in conflict, powerful magics and decent characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    I am busy being intensely annoyed. I was nearing the end of Control Point when I came upon a gap in the recording. I called Audible yesterday, and they supposedly assigned a tech to repair the recording, but I don't want to finish the book til they get those missing minutes restored. And that won't be til at least Monday, sigh. So now I'm back to listening to the new Pacey recording of Best Served Cold -- which is good, and much better than the original Page recording, but I've heard the book before so it's still not all that exciting. I'm also reading some inconsequential non-genre ebooks. But in the meantime I'm still annoyed, 'cause I feel the end of Control Point calling to me.....rackafratz the rackafratzin......
    I'm having problems as well. My kindle is broken.

I'm talking to customer service right now. Seems they are going to send me a free replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksbane View Post
    I'm having problems as well. My kindle is broken.
    Technology is wonderful until it's horrible. Then ya kinda just wanna throw something through a window.

I'm talking to customer service right now. Seems they are going to send me a free replacement.
    I've heard good things about Kindle customer support. I hope you get your replacement quickly.

In the past I've always hated Audible support, but it seems that might have improved since Amazon bought them out. And on the good side, if you find a genuine flaw in one of their recordings they give you a free credit for reporting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    Technology is wonderful until it's horrible. Then ya kinda just wanna throw something through a window.

I've heard good things about Kindle customer support. I hope you get your replacement quickly.

In the past I've always hated Audible support, but it seems that might have improved since Amazon bought them out. And on the good side, if you find a genuine flaw in one of their recordings they give you a free credit for reporting it.
    Amazon support in general has been amazing for me. That is cool about the free credit that Audible gives. I used that service for a few months but decided to cancel it because I wasn't using the audio books very often. I might get it again though, since I like the audio books for when I am walking my dogs.

My kindle has lines in it, apparently the e-ink screen is damaged and there is no way to fix it. The replacement should be here April 4th, which is super quick considering I am in Canada. Overall it was handled very well.

To be on topic, I was nearing the end of Summer Knight before my kindle broke. It has been a pretty good read, despite taking me a lot longer than the first few books in the series. I probably could have finished it tonight if not for the issues. I might just have to suck it up and read it on my computer.
    Last edited by Haliax; April 1st, 2012 at 12:19 AM.

I'm reading Mira Grant's Feed and so far it's been an engaging read. I don't normally go for zombie books but those with a different take on it sometimes grab me - like Gregory's Raising Stony Mayhall and maybe now this.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by algernoninc View Post
    I've started In Legend Born by Laura Resnick. It's early times yet, but I think this will be a good epic with a lot of factions in conflict, powerful magics and decent characters.
    From having seen your reaction to books over the past couple of years, I get the sense that you will really like this one.

I finished Frohock's Miserere. I thought it was great. I can't remember the last time I read a debut that was as good. Moving along to Berg's Lighthouse Duet. Only a few pages in thus far, but I like this opening scene.

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    I gave up on The Way of Kings at page 500-ish. I don't see why I should read 1200 pages of a book that's more uneventful than most 100 page books. I was really disappointed with Sanderson's characters too, they could have pulled me through but every single one just ended up dull. I don't understand the praise at all. So disappointing, I loved Mistborn.
    I think the Sanderson bubble is going to burst soon. I think people are going to see that there's really not a lot there.

Finished Stephen King's "The Dead Zone." I thought it was really good and practically stormed through it. Now, it could have been better in ways, but it was still very good. I have a question though.

Spoiler:
    At the end, Johnny Smith is killed. Why then did they start a tv series that takes place after The Dead Zone if he's supposed to be friggin' dead?

I'm now reading "The Devil's Tower" by Mark Sumner. So far, it seems like a really great, original fantasy western.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The two are really to be seen as similar but different, Zsinj.

If what happens in the novel happened in the TV series, it might limit the marketing potential of the TV series. Whereas the book is pretty much an independent stand-alone, the TV series needs a bit of room in order to develop over potentially more than one season.

Saw the first three series of the TV: quite enjoyed it, but it then disappeared into obscurity on UK television schedules. Keep meaning to find the rest, but haven't yet.

Cronenberg's 1980's movie isn't bad, with Christopher Walken as Johnny, but I suspect it may have dated a little since last I saw it.

(Much closer to the book.)

Mark
    Mark

In the beginning of The Bonehunters [The Malazan book of the Fallen #6] by Steven Erikson.

I'm currently reading two fantasy books:
    Un Lun Dun by Miéville - certainly not bad, but perhaps not the best thing I've ever encountered. Feels a bit too much like Barker's Abarat and Gaiman's Neverwhere for me to really, really care.

The Wee Free Men by Sir Pratchett - not all that far into it (maybe 10&#37, but I've giggled a few times and I'm getting fairly interested, but it's still early days.