Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1

    Robin Hobb books reading order

    So I read the Farseer Trilogy a while back, but didn’t ever start the Liveship Traders or the Tawny Man trilogies. Just a few days ago I saw that her newer book “Dragon Keepers” is available free as an ebook. (no idea why).

    My question is, do you think I should go back and read the Liveship and Tawny Man trilogies, or does it not really matter? Doesn’t seem like any of the characters overlap, just that it is a different story set in the same world, so I am thinking that it doesn’t really matter, but was wondering if somebody who read all of them could comment on it.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Registered User Walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Reading, PA
    Posts
    37
    I haven't read the Rain Wild Chronicles yet (Dragon Keeper and Dragon Haven) but from what I understand, the series picks up from where Liveship Traders left the dragons.

    I just finished reading Liveship Traders last week and the ending made for a perfect setup to these newer books. I'm looking forward to checking them out but I've got to get through Tawny Man (Almost done with Fool's Errand) first.

    If you haven't read Liveship (and the Rain Wild Chronicles are what I think they are) reading Liveship will give you an understanding of where the dragons came from and just how dire their situation is/was. I don't know if there is any connection in Tawny Man. In the first book there have been a couple of vague references to actions going on in Bingtown which related to the dragons.

  3. #3
    For the most enjoyable reading experience and to avoid spoilers, read them in the order they were published.

    Patrick

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I haven't read the Rain Wild Chronicles yet (Dragon Keeper and Dragon Haven) but from what I understand, the series picks up from where Liveship Traders left the dragons.

    I just finished reading Liveship Traders last week and the ending made for a perfect setup to these newer books. I'm looking forward to checking them out but I've got to get through Tawny Man (Almost done with Fool's Errand) first.

    If you haven't read Liveship (and the Rain Wild Chronicles are what I think they are) reading Liveship will give you an understanding of where the dragons came from and just how dire their situation is/was. I don't know if there is any connection in Tawny Man. In the first book there have been a couple of vague references to actions going on in Bingtown which related to the dragons.
    Enough time passes in Dragon Keeper to pass by the Tawny Man timeline, so there is at least one huge spoiler if you read the books out of order. Tawny Man also provides context for Rain Wild, so unless you simply don't want to read more Fitz and Fool stories, I'd finish the original 9 before moving on to Rain Wild.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    .... In the first book there have been a couple of vague references to actions going on in Bingtown which related to the dragons.
    You will find that the two series are more related than is evident in Fool's Errand when you read Golden Fool. I'm currently reading Fool's Fate and cannot wait to see how this turns out. Robin Hobb is currently my favorite author. (I think I'll even attempt Soldier's Son regardless of the many dismal reviews of that series.)

    To address the original question: Read them in published order and you'll be glad that you did.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
    Robin Hobb is currently my favorite author. (I think I'll even attempt Soldier's Son regardless of the many dismal reviews of that series.)
    I found much to like about Soldier Son. It's true that Hobb puts her poor protagonist through hell, but she tends to do that in varying degrees in all of her books. I enjoyed the series, although not nearly as much as the Elderlings world.

  7. #7
    Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, CANADA
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyloot View Post
    I found much to like about Soldier Son. It's true that Hobb puts her poor protagonist through hell, but she tends to do that in varying degrees in all of her books. I enjoyed the series, although not nearly as much as the Elderlings world.
    I enjoyed it as well, though it's not quite as good as her other series.

  8. #8
    That's a fair assessment. I thought Soldier Son was entertaining enough to recommend, but it wasn't her best work.

  9. #9
    Data Error
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Western Canada
    Posts
    91
    For me the wheel's of the Soldier's Son trilogy completely fell off in the 2nd book. I finished it, but just barely and i have not read the third as of yet. I do plan on reading it...eventually.

  10. #10
    I recommend that they be read in order: Farseer -> Liveship -> Tawny Man -> Rain Wild.

    Not only is the order preferable in terms of receiving the right information and context and to avoid spoilers, each of them are highly enjoyable and don't deserve to be passed over. Don't just read them to get to Dragon Keeper, read them for themselves, they're all amazing books with amazing characters.

  11. #11
    I was bored with the Liveship series and I'm into ships. That being said I'd read it in order.

  12. #12

    robin hobb to March 2012 series order.

    Well, now have all the Dragon series in hand, thanks to Amazon and eBay...
    So if you read them...Id suggest this order..
    Start with the Farseer Triology. Fabulous.
    Follow that wth Tawny Man series(same characters continued)
    You might then want to read the Ship series..okay, but not my favorite..
    In the Dragon series, the Mad ship and Althea is back, the mother dragon, Tintalgia, and other of the characters in the Farseer and Tawny man are in the background. Really am liking this series.
    Soldiers Son is a separate world. I liked it, but then Im an Army brat to start with, three generations worth, so it really strikes deeply in this long time SF fan. and seems strongly flavored with the American West/Native American subjugation.
    That being said, the Farseer world is THE most excellent adventure. And since the Tawny Man feeds my hunger to find out what happens to Fitzchilvary, his children and the Fool..that one is next.
    I dont usually read Fantasy being classic fifties/sixties SF fan...but willing to bend the mind for such wonderfully drawn characters. These are very real people with serious flaws, which makes their actions even more human and forgivable.

  13. #13
    If you are following the timeline of one of the characters I think it would have to go like this:

    Farseer trilogy
    Liveship trilogy
    Tawny Man trilogy
    Rain Wilds trilogy

    ymmv

  14. #14
    Maine Pro Disc Golf
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrious1 View Post
    For me the wheel's of the Soldier's Son trilogy completely fell off in the 2nd book. I finished it, but just barely and i have not read the third as of yet. I do plan on reading it...eventually.
    The third one was the one that saved the series for me.

  15. #15
    Maine Pro Disc Golf
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    128
    I would def read them in order.


    Farseer
    Liveship
    Tawny
    Dragon

    Soldier Son can be read whenever, but I would skip it.

    If you like Hobb you'll probably also like Fiona McIntosh.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •