Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
  1. #16
    Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    3,370
    Farseer should be the starting point, if you finish that and like it you might as well move to Tawny Man at once, and then read Liveship and the Rain Wilds Chronicles. There's no need to read the Liveship series in between Farseer and Tawny Man really. You can of course opt to do so, but I didn't care nearly as much for that series and just want to prevent people from reading Liveship and then giving up on Hobb, when the Tawny Man series is a return to Fitz narrated books and intrigue.

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithfânion View Post
    Farseer should be the starting point, if you finish that and like it you might as well move to Tawny Man at once, and then read Liveship and the Rain Wilds Chronicles. There's no need to read the Liveship series in between Farseer and Tawny Man really. You can of course opt to do so, but I didn't care nearly as much for that series and just want to prevent people from reading Liveship and then giving up on Hobb, when the Tawny Man series is a return to Fitz narrated books and intrigue.
    I completely disagree. You are allowing your personal opinion of the books to do a disservice to anyone reading your post. There is an absolutely massive spoiler of Liveship if you read the Tawny Man books before the Liveship ones (like I foolishly did, going off a similar suggestion to the one quoted above).

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilKing View Post
    I completely disagree. You are allowing your personal opinion of the books to do a disservice to anyone reading your post. There is an absolutely massive spoiler of Liveship if you read the Tawny Man books before the Liveship ones (like I foolishly did, going off a similar suggestion to the one quoted above).
    That's exactly what I did -- read Tawny Man straight after the Assassin books -- and I thought it worked pretty well. In my case I didn't really plan on reading the Liveship books (and I still haven't).

  4. #19
    Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    3,370
    Personally I didn't find it that great a revelation and I think it's more important to consider that the difference in style and story between Liveship and the Fitz-narrated stories is significant, and again, if you go from Farseer to Tawny Man, there's not much at all that you will miss by not ploughing through Liveship. You find it important that Liveship is read first because Tawny Man reveals something about a character in Liveship; I don't find that all that interesting and certainly not a reason to read Liveship first, per se.

  5. #20
    Registered User HeclaBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrious1 View Post
    For me the wheel's of the Soldier's Son trilogy completely fell off in the 2nd book. I finished it, but just barely and i have not read the third as of yet. I do plan on reading it...eventually.
    I thought the first Soldier's Son book was excellent. I liked the second one too but felt it wasn't on par with the first. The third I didn't like at all. I think the series suffered from her moving it too far from the original setting established in the first volume and the plot getting progressively weirder and more depressing as it went along.

  6. #21
    If you don't read The Liveship Traders you are doing yourself a huge disservice. They are unbelievably good.

  7. #22
    I would say that since the tawny man trilogy fallows fitz from the first set of books and seems to keep that story line going I would suggest reading
    The Farseer Trilogy, The Tawny Man Trilogy, with the Liveship Traders Trilogy either before or after and then The Rain Wilds Trilogy.

    I have never been one to read books I could never find any that would keep me intrested I always thought why waste time reading when I can watch the movie......

    However I started reading the assassins apprentice as bathroom literature and soon found that I couldn't stop reading the book I am not a fast reader but I finished the first book in two days and had to read the next and so on I am now reading all the trilogies for a 3rd time I have also introduced everyone I know that loves to read to these books I just wish there were a set of books on fitz's years between the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogy and after as well.

    Thanks everyone this is also my first ever blog post I hope it doesn't bore you.

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithfânion View Post
    Personally I didn't find it that great a revelation and I think it's more important to consider that the difference in style and story between Liveship and the Fitz-narrated stories is significant, and again, if you go from Farseer to Tawny Man, there's not much at all that you will miss by not ploughing through Liveship. You find it important that Liveship is read first because Tawny Man reveals something about a character in Liveship; I don't find that all that interesting and certainly not a reason to read Liveship first, per se.
    If you intend to read the Rain Wilds, reading the first nine in order of publication is best for overall context of the timeline. If you'd prefer to read just Fitz and totally ditch the 13 book "series" you'll miss basically nothing.

    I don't want to spoil anything so I won't really say anything more.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •