Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

I like it rough! Give me a hand?

So i'm looking for a new book, or series to read. My favorite books from the past 5 years are Abercrobie's First Law series. Specifically the POV's from Logen, Dogman and his party. I love the group dynamic, the action, the grit, the humor (lots), the male bonding and fellowship. I also love some of the betrayal, difficult choices, huge odds, and feeling of loss when they lose a brother. I don't want no Mary Sue characters, some of the heroes have to be severely flawed and/or die. I prefer little or no magic and i'm not big on dragons. Recommendations?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You might want to mention other stuff you have already read that's similiar otherwise you will just have twenty people recommending a song of ice and fire.

The Black Company books by Glen Cook? Some David Gemmell, maybe. As Chris said, A Song of Ice and Fire (George RR Martin) applies. Steven Erikson's Malazan books, although they have quite a bit of magic. You might like R. Scott Bakker too, but his is also a more magical world (although should be miserable enough for your tastes). Also, KJ Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    You might want to mention other stuff you have already read that's similiar otherwise you will just have twenty people recommending a song of ice and fire.
    Sure. I actually haven't read grrm yet, so I already know that. I've been holding off for him to release his next book before I start. I've read the Steel Remains, Warded Man, Dawnthief, and Best Served Cold. That's actually all the fantasy I've read as i'm new to the genre...came over from sci-fi about 6 months ago.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    This might be a regression to scifi but have you read the Guants Ghosts books by Abbnett?

I'll second Gemmell starting with his Drenai books and Waylander novels.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    I'll second Gemmell starting with his Drenai books and Waylander novels.
    and I third it :P

The Malazan books by Steven Erikson might be up your alley. Yes, the series is very, very long and yes, people generally don't start liking it till the third book but it seems to fit the bill and it's worth it. I'm a huge Malazan fan.

I'm not sure if this fits the bill quite as much but Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastard's series has lots of male bonding, difficult choices, huge odds, humorous dialogue and lots of ... uh ... creative language. Honestly, this series has made me laugh harder than I've laughed while reading a book in a long time.

This one doesn't quite fit all of your stipulations but Brent Weeks Night Angel Trilogy does have magic, but huge odds, incredible situations and edge-of-your-seat action. I think Joe Abercrombie and Brent Weeks are on the same level (in my opinion, which many may not agree with).
    Last edited by DelphicRaven; June 10th, 2010 at 10:49 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't think malazan meets the little or no magic stipulation no matter how big of a fan you are

The Nightrunner books have lots of male bonding eh? Not sure if that was the type of bonding he was after

haha Chris, I agree. I was thinking pre-book 3.... I forgot about what you are talking about before I posted. I guess I should edit and take them off. Oops! I'll go do that now.

And yes, Malazan do have a lot of magic but the rest of it seems to fit what he's looking for.

I usually try to avoid giving recommendations because I tend to suck at it...

Paul Kearney sounds like a good one to try.

Well my tastes are quite similar to the OP but I find myself enjoying the Malazan books of the fallen immensely nonetheless.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Sword of Shadows by JV Jones might be mentioned in addition to Bakker's 4 books out sofar, maybe Glen Cook though I personally don't like it. Certainly Gemmell, but you may also want to look at some historical epics. To narrow that down a bit, Bernard Cornwell, Cecelia Holland, Giles Kristian, Robert Low and Tim Severin have written series in the last few years, in some cases still ongoing about Viking warriors travelling across the world and encountering all sorts of stuff, this might be worth your time since like me your are fond of Abercrombie's Northmen. There's little to no no magic. You might also check out the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. And a book by Guy Gavriel Kay, just because he's a superb and much loved author. His books are semi-historical fantasy epics, big books with lots of characters, very well-written and engaging, plenty of betrayal and emotion and very little ( if any) magic and certainly no dragons. Lions of Al-Rassan for starters perhaps.

Robert Low, The Whale Road (and sequels, if you like the first one)
    Ben Kane, The Forgotten Legion (ditto; the third and final book will be out this summer)
    -- Both historical fiction, but definitely on the rough side.

Brian Ruckley, The Godless World trilogy. It gets mixed reviews but I liked it.

You could also give Bernard Cornwell's Warlord trilogy and the Saxon books a try. He does some GREAT battle scenes.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So much for little or no magic. Goodluck with Gardens.

I second The Godless World trilogy. Sounds pretty close to what you're looking for, although there isn't much humour.