First Sci-Fi Experiance

Hello,

I was just curious to know ho most peple were first introduced to the world of Science Fiction. For me it was movies. I had never ever imagined people up a SF book until I watched George Lucas' genious. And most people I know, it's the same, which in a way is kind of sad. People are far to into pop culture and staying cool. Often readers of Sci-Fi are labeled "geeks" and so people stay away, until a "cool" movie comes out that gets them into it. What do you all think?

Exclamation OOPS ( Again)

Hey guys, I noticed no one responded to my post, and in reading it I realised how many typos I had, sorry! Here is the edited sense making version!

"I was just curious to know how most peple were first introduced to the world of Science Fiction. For me it was the movies. I had never ever imagined picking up a SF book until I watched George Lucas' genious. And for most of the people I know, it's the same story, which in a way is kind of sad. People are far to into pop culture and staying cool... I.E. Often readers of Sci-Fi are labeled "geeks" and so people stay away, until a "cool" movie comes out that gets them into it. What do you all think? Can we ever change this stereotype with out movies?

The first time I got introduced with sci-fi was when I was playing a game on my computer. It was the first real-time strategy game and it was called 'Dune 2'. When I finished that game I wanted to know more about the world of Dune and that's why I started reading Dune. I luved it.

Eloquence & Inebriation Moderator
    Well being the ancient critter I am, I suppose I would have go all the way back to a show when I was a kid, called "Fireball XL5".
    It was done with puppets. They could breathe in space by taking an "oxygen pill".

They had their space ship "Fireball XL5" and it would ride down this rail and up this ramp then lift off into outer space. I thought it was pretty cool. I believe I was in kindergarten at the time. And as you would imagine I had quite discerning and critical tastes.

When "Lost inSpace" TV series came out I was hooked.

My first sci fi reading experience was "The Illustrated Man" and "Day of the Triffids", then I went crazy with Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars series. Well after that I went crazy. And is why I'm writing this from the cell of an insane asylum for the freaky geeks who passionately love sci-fi and fantasy almost as much as they love beer and delightful lasses.

Rocketsheep
    You mean apart from Dr Who and The Survivors and The Day of the Triffids and Star Trek and Deep Space Nine and The Tomorrow People that flooded our one TV channel when I was a kid?

Hmmmm... we studied the War of the Worlds at school when I was 10... (back in the cold war era that stuff was all the rage)... and that old radio broadcast about Mars invading sent shivers down my spine... spooky to think it really rocked a nation.

Rocketsheep
    .... oh and then came the first Star Wars! We were all blown away! I remember seeing the creatures in the bar scene and suddenly the daleks and Trekkie aliens lost their credibility! That movie was so ahead of its time...

LePeze computers were the size of a house when I was a boy(well , not quite)we played tennis on ours . Rocketsheep has just taken me back to Saturday morning tv viewing with the Tomorrow People but it all started with a H.G.Wells picture book of 'The Time Machine'

Hmm I remember watching Lost in Space with Mom, also various B-science fiction. I was too scared to watch Twilight Zone, but Outer Limits was not as bad. Then there was Forbidden Planet.

Getting a little older, Mom introduced me to Star Trek re-runs and I was hooked. Then came Close Encounters and Star Wars. Star Wars was the first movie I saw multiple times in a theatre. I think I managed to see it 18 or 19 times. It seemed to stay forever in the theatre and came back several times, too.

In reading SF I began with Heinlein given to me for Christmas.

Susan

Tasty or your money back! Moderator fluffy bunny's Avatar
    for me it was tv i think

button moon (well i think it was the 1st one for me)
    superted
    ulysess 31
    terrahawks
    defenders of the earth
    lost in space
    voyage to the bottom of the sea

bookwise, lots of non-fiction space stuff aimed at children ((fiction wise i was a big fairy tale/mythology nut (i can still remember children's fantasy like 3 children and it, chronicles of narnia, wizard of earthsea), mystery [secret seven, famous five, the three investigators, nancy drew {Enid Blyton, Alfred Hitchcock}], and wildlife orientated [books by willard price] rather than just spaceships and aliens)- there's too many for me to list at the mo- I do remember i almost read out most of the children's section in the local library though (well apart from the obviously 'girly' books) was going through at least 250 pages a day on a school day, about 3 books a day in the holidays at one time))- i'm sure i'll find a lot of science fiction I've forgotten if i go and persuse through the children's section next time I go to the library.

But going back on topic- science fiction interest from film, tv, books, tales arond a camp fire (hey I just like good stories- it doesn't matter about the medium they're told in, or the genre).

PS sorry about the crap english- had to type all that in a min and a half so i can get back to work.
    Last edited by fluffy bunny; July 1st, 2002 at 06:25 PM.

Seeker of Stuff Moderator Kamakhya's Avatar
    Like many of us, I have posted about this in other threads... I grew up in a household of geeks and I'm proud of it. One of my first Sci-Fi movie memories is Soylent Green, though Blade Runner, Star Wars, and Logan's Run get mixed up there. But I was into Sci-Fi earlier than that... My dad read me bed time stories and by age 8 or 9 I was begging for new stuff to read. I was directed to Clarke and Asimov.

I am indoctrinating my own child now into Sci-Fi and fantasy.

Kamakhya Devi

Ah, let's see...this one takes me back back in time to a small village in Honduras. We were one of the first families to own a television (Honduras has been calculated to be 50 years behind the US in technological development). So I had the luxury to watch some really funky international sci-fi shows.
    My all time favourite show was the Bionic Man. Lee Majors was fantastic. I liked the far out intro that kept emphasizing over and over the word "Better Better BETTER". I used to love the slow motion (which was used to create the illusion of fast motion. Brilliant!) and the "bionic" sound that emphasized Lee Majors super powers. Woooeeee!
    I used to play on the fields, running in slow motion as I tried to catch my friends (you figure that one out). Then at night I would dream that I was bionic and leap great distances across the dreamscapes...
    How's that for an intro to sci-fi?
    I loved every minute of it!