Banned
    Blog Entries

How about some consistency?

A certain thread has recently been closed due to two people having a squabble. I'd like to ask why? Other recent threads where worse stuff has been done have just had warnings issued and the offending posts removed. I find it highly inconsistent that this thread was closed. Apart from the recent posts by the banned member the thread has been very civil apart from a very minor dispute and the only objections raised to it in the thread was about the use of "rape" in the title.

No, we don't have to close it. Everybody has been behaving and apologizing when they went overboard. Actually, for a contentious subject, it was a pretty civil discussion most of the time. We get much nastier in the when is Martin's book coming out thread.
    What's changed?

Am I being inconsistant with objecting to this and not other stuff. Yes but then i'm not a moderator

Some people were enjoying the thread and found it worthwhile. Why allow one member to stop that?

If Rob inteneded to reopen the thread after removing the offending post then I apologise for this thread but he didn't state that and I find the thread closure highly inconsistent and unfair to other members participating in the thread.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    A certain thread has recently been closed due to two people having a squabble. I'd like to ask why? Other recent threads where worse stuff has been done have just had warnings issued and the offending posts removed. I find it highly inconsistent that this thread was closed. Apart from the recent posts by the banned member the thread has been very civil apart from a very minor dispute and the only objections raised to it in the thread was about the use of "rape" in the title.

What's changed?

Am I being inconsistant with objecting to this and not other stuff. Yes but then i'm not a moderator

Some people were enjoying the thread and found it worthwhile. Why allow one member to stop that?

If Rob inteneded to reopen the thread after removing the offending post then I apologise for this thread but he didn't state that and I find the thread closure highly inconsistent and unfair to other members participating in the thread.

Sometimes it's best if a mod simply suspends a thread for a short while and tells everyone to break it up and go on home. I ought to point you in the direction of some of the posts that got me banned from other SFF forums, just for the sake of perspective.

Or perhaps Robert Jordan just brings out the worst in folks?

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As Sparrow said, we operate on the basis that leaving a heated thread open after warnings/strikes/banning is likely to simply fuel the fire. Giving everyone a chance to cool off, the mod/s in question time to discuss with the others the best options for the thread and then being able to explain ourselves clearly, is absolutely necessary. Nothing of value would come from allowing things to continue as was. I'm sure you'll notice Rob opened the thread back up today and hopefully there'll be more mileage in the thread.
    Thanks for your patience