Thread: Wondering

Question Wondering

Just a quick question here... Would you all read a book about Gods fighting over earth. Because thats the piece I'm working on right now. Of course though the Gods aren't the main characters, it's the people caught inbetween who are... any input would be greatly appreciated!

I would....provided, of course, that it was well-written!

Is this Earth as in present-day, future, or past? Or is it more fantasy? Upon reading what you wrote, I immediately thought of "Clash of the Titans", although the concept there was different. Just curious...

I also thought of Clash of the Titans...the gods in Greek mythology were always major players in the stories, and were always fighting amongst themselves as well.

This concept might be very interesting if, while the gods are duking it away up in the heavens, the humans on earth are blissfully ignorant of the gods, and in their arrogance think that everything that's ever happened is their own doing. It would make for some interesting possiblities in terms of plot, as well as raise questions about our own existence: Are we masters of our own destiny or are there forces at work beyond our control?

you could make such cool plots and battles with that idea. I have three gods in my book, one of them fought the other two and got banished(you know the usual drill). But this has a twist. The other two got trapped with the baddie as well, because they gave powers to a human, who opened a rift, and took the god with him as well. So towards the end, the rift starts to open up again, bu the gods still can't get out, but their essence can. Creating two mighty powerful humans.
    But battles between gods. Whew. Cool. You will of course have to write the human parts so well, because they do not want to be dwarfed by the feud between gods...

Thumbs up

Your story sounds great Gabador. And don't worry the humans and elves and dwarves, and other critters in my story do get a lot of glory because kinda like in yours the gods gave some of them power so they could use them in battle. BUt IT gets much more complecated then that cause a good god takes an elf and fills her with all her strength, but the bad god steals the soul, adds his own little corruptive twist and puts it in a human... and man oh man, the world has one crazy cat on the loose. BUt evenso and gets yet even more complicated then that. It's very long story so I can even begin to summarize it one post. THanks for your advice.

Post a part of the story, if you got some of it, on the site. It sounds interesting. But maybe you should invent new names for the character races. You knw, elves, and dwarves....
    But it's up to you.
    Good luck

Sure, as long as it was good and the characters were interesting.

You could do great things with this, especially with Miriamele's suggestion - that mortals have no idea that gods are battling over their fate.
    For instance, you could describe the utterly mundane life of a modern man, let's say an insurance salesman named Gary. You could crosscut descriptions of his life with descriptions of the epic intrigue and battle that rages over his life in the realm of the gods.
    Picture this: A glorious and titanic battle between Vulcanus, god of fire, and Boreas, god of the north wind, which then translates itself into the real world as the struggle of Gary trying to light a cigarette while a slight breeze is blowing.

have you ever read the Sillmarilion? you can get a lot of inspiration there and see how it's done by the best. i strongly reccomend it and encourage you to write on about the great dissension among the gods...

I have read Silmarilion and I love it! Actually, the mortals and most of the immortals don't know whats going on... And they don't know that one which walks among them is actaully a God in disguise using them to beat his foe, his brother, ready to devour them after he's used them. There is many surprises in my book. I like surprises... but I just gave a big one away. Oops.

Exclamation

Originally posted by Ladijen
    I would....provided, of course, that it was well-written!

Is this Earth as in present-day, future, or past? Or is it more fantasy? Upon reading what you wrote, I immediately thought of "Clash of the Titans", although the concept there was different. Just curious...
    Hey Ladijen - guess which book by Alan Dean Foster I finished reading last week...

Solaar
    putting Clash of the Titans back on the bookshelf and agreeing with her!

Benthic,
    Picture this: A glorious and titanic battle between Vulcanus, god of fire, and Boreas, god of the north wind, which then translates itself into the real world as the struggle of Gary trying to light a cigarette while a slight breeze is blowing.
    Maybe better make it into a full-grown hurricane, for effect.