McCade Series (William C. Dietz)
    Valor Series (Tanya Huff)
    Old Man's War, etc.
    Sten
    Sirantha Jax (Ann Aguirre)

What's left? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Waiting

You've got Mike Resnick's Starship series which is well worth reading and a series I thoroughly enjoyed. You could also try Robert Buettner's Orphan series, although I've only read books 1 & 2 and they definitely have the mil-sf theme, but not sure if that will stay the same for the last three books (which I really need to read!).

If you want to try them, and aren't too daunted by the huge history, you could try picking up some Warhammer 40k books, particulalry the Gaunt's Ghosts novels by Dan Abnett - they are extremely well written and complete page turners.

Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy does not focus on military characters (although there are a couple of recurring military figures, including the commander of the entire Confederation Navy), but there is a fair amount of military action in the three books.

Agreed on Gaunt's Ghosts. For pure military SF, Abnett is currently at the top of the field.

I remember Timothy Zahn's Conquerors trilogy also being effective military SF.

Starship Troopers, The Forever War and Ender's Game immediately came to mind.

Also the Herris Serrano series of novels by Elizabeth Moon (you probably know them already, since you have read Vatta's war)

It maybe worth taking a look at a couple of lists as well, like this one for example.

Good reading!
    Nicolas

The Bolo series started by Keith Laumer

The Man-Kzin War series started by Larry Niven

psik

I haven't read it yet, but isn't Armor by John Steakley supposed to be a claasic of the genre?

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatoskr View Post
    I haven't read it yet, but isn't Armor by John Steakley supposed to be a claasic of the genre?
    Absolutely great book.

The Posleen books by John Ringo are excellent. "The Heritage Trilogy" by Ian Douglas was good too!

There is a fair ammount of military action in the Polity books of Neal Asher, they are very very good.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check 'em out.

Waiting

Classic military SciFi

My all-time favorites are the Lensman series and the Skylark series from E. E. 'Doc' Smith. A complete set is hard to come by. They are as old or older than I am but very good reading.

I hope nobody gets upset, but I write military scifi. Look for the Galactic Alliance series on any of the major sites and you will see the three book series. I've made the downloadable versions very inexpensive ($5.00) because I'm not out to make a living writing books. I just love doing it. If you want to read them in pure PDF check out Smashwords.com.

I love military scifi and if I recall any additional ones I will post them here.

I think The General Series by S.M. Stirling is better than the Honor Harrington series but it does not involve space battles. It is about a colony that has degenerated to primitive technology, so it is 1860s level tech warfare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_General_series

Much of the series is free on the net though it is not public domain.

psik

Berserker, Bolo, and Hammer's Slammers

Here are three more very good military scifi series:

Berserker (Fred Saberhagen) His books are not filled with knock down drag out battles and tend to focus a lot on the personal battles his characters are fighting.

Bolo (various authors) About intelligent tanks and the people who command them. Most have good battle scenes but, again, the focus is not the battle itself but the personal conflicts that go along with it.

Hammer's Slammers (David Drake) I haven't read a lot of these but the military hardware in use is pretty cool. It's like WW-II battles using fusion powered equipment. Interesting reading even though some of them get a bit graphic.

Here is a line from The Forge, first book of The General Series.

Quite probably one of the reports was right, but how could he tell which? That was the whole point of spraying out disinformation, it clouded the waters until the truth was invisible even if it leaked.
    How is that different from Sun Tzu?

All warfare is based on deception.
    That applies to other things than war. How about economics? How much info is there on the internet about the stock market? How much is correct?

psik

David Gunn's Death's Head series perhaps ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatoskr View Post
    I love parts one and three. The slow middle section is just okay...

Halo

There's always the multiple Halo books, and the series written by Eric Nylund and William C. Dietz (The Cole Protocol written by: Tobias S. Buckell)

Series: The Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike
    Single books that I know of: The Cole Protocol, Ghosts of Onyx