Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Ninth Avatar by Todd Newton

Just wondering if anyone here has read it, been hearing good things about it. If not mistaken the author posts here, so surprised I haven't seen the book mentioned, and if mentioned... infrequently.

Anyways, I'm quite interested in it, seems like something like I and many here would enjoy, or at least want to give a try.

Here's a review by Cindy over at FBC:
    http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.co...viewed-by.html

So, anyone given it a try or planning on it?

Review
    "The Ninth Avatar is a very fast read that literally hits the ground running." --E.L. Fay, This Book and I Could Be Friends (added by author)

"The narrative is well thought out, despite some required leaps of faith, and provides a decent serving of food for thought. The characters are well developed, unique, and intriguing." --John F. McDonald, The New York Journal of Books (added by author)

"Todd Newton has some amazing talent that I'm sure readers of fantasy will be coming across in the future." --Cindy Hannikman, Fantasy Book Critic (added by author)

"...overall The Ninth Avatar delivers for me and I was compelled to dive back into the story every chance I had. I am really looking forward to seeing Newton's progression after this debut novel." --Seak (Bryce L.) at Only the Best SFF (added by author)

Product Description

When the slain march, prophecy will be fulfilled. The Ninth Avatar is coming.

Wizards have wondered for generations when a human would ascend to become the Ninth Avatar, and what would happen when they did. Opinions differ, but the Ninth Pillar of Magic--that of Darkness--is feared by many whether they use magic or not.

When Starka, an outcast priestess of the magic loathing Cathedrals of Myst, receives a prophecy heralding this ascension, a new force rises to threaten the entire known world. The Carrion army, a race of transformed humans bearing black horns and an unquenchable thirst for blood, destroys every city it comes across. Their leader, Zion, has only one goal: to become the living embodiment of magic that is the Ninth Avatar.

Aiding Starka in her quest to halt this are DaVille, a mysterious warrior bent on killing the Carrion leader; Cairos, a wizard from the betrayed city of Illiadora; and Wan Du and Lady Mayrah, a man and woman from rival nations now decimated by the Carrion. Amidst all this turmoil, Wadam, a Cardinal of Starka's faith, seeks to seize control of Myst for himself and thereby subjugate the female leaders.

With the world in peril Starka must find the means to prevent these things, or die trying. (edited by author)
    http://www.amazon.com/Ninth-Avatar-T...9126129&sr=1-1
    http://www.amazon.com/Ninth-Avatar-T...9126129&sr=1-1

Don't know why it's so expensive at the moment though.

Referring to the comment by E.L. Fay, I want to know how it literally hits the ground running. In that statement, the thing that hits the ground running is the "read". I interpret that term as meaning the story or the book. Since neither really has legs, it is impossible for them to run at all, literally speaking.

I considered that perhaps the story begins with someone hitting the ground and running, and that is the thing being referred to. So I went to Amazon and read the beginning of the Prologue and Chapter One. Just as I suspected, however, no running.

Sorry for the completely OT rant, but this is a pet peeve of mine and it seems to be happening more and more often. A basketball player has a great game, so a sports reporter claim that he literally blew up on the court. Uh, no he didn't. I'm sure there would have been more coverage of something like that. A young boy goes missing and an extensive search is unsuccessful, so local law enforcement asserts that he literally disappeared off the face of the earth. Holy crap, that's not just a missing boy, that's the rapture! The incorrect use of this word just bugs the crap out of me (but not literally).

Regarding the book itself, I agree with Cindy from FBC on the cover; very cool. Nothing else about the book really sounds that great, though. I suppose some more positive reviews could sway me, but for now, I'll skip it.
    Last edited by Obtuse; July 15th, 2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Bacon

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Um...Paging Mr. Newton. Come in Mr. Newton. They're discussing your book or at least trying to...free press, bud.

I'm here, I'm here, sorry for the delay.

(thank god for Google Alerts)

One moment.

Bastard, thanks a lot for the interest. I don't do a lot of self-promo on the boards because, frankly, it's obnoxious! I mostly hang over on the Writing forum.

Regarding the book, it's my debut work, and I'd love to hear your thoughts if you do actually read it. The publisher is a small, start-up press, which could account for your cost question. The price may drop if I reach a second print run, but that depends on people like you.

Obtuse, apt name I can't scorn reviewers, or how they decide to phrase things, for obvious reasons. The misuse of "literally" is sort of a pet peeve of mine, as well, in day-to-day life. However, what I hope E.L. meant was I didn't wait 10 chapters to make the story interesting and/or engaging and/or action-packed and/or full of death, destruction, mayhem, and general edge-of-the-sword loveliness. Then again, if you read her blog posts around the time she read my book, she basically said, "He's no Tolkien." Taking that at face value, it's good to know I'm alive, right?

Radone, thanks for the page. I've been ensconced in editing this third book and haven't been on the forums as much for the past month or so. Hoping to have it in the publisher's hands by first of August to see if they're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by tdnewton View Post
    Bastard, thanks a lot for the interest. I don't do a lot of self-promo on the boards because, frankly, it's obnoxious! I mostly hang over on the Writing forum.

Regarding the book, it's my debut work, and I'd love to hear your thoughts if you do actually read it. The publisher is a small, start-up press, which could account for your cost question. The price may drop if I reach a second print run, but that depends on people like you.

Obtuse, apt name I can't scorn reviewers, or how they decide to phrase things, for obvious reasons. The misuse of "literally" is sort of a pet peeve of mine, as well, in day-to-day life. However, what I hope E.L. meant was I didn't wait 10 chapters to make the story interesting and/or engaging and/or action-packed and/or full of death, destruction, mayhem, and general edge-of-the-sword loveliness. Then again, if you read her blog posts around the time she read my book, she basically said, "He's no Tolkien." Taking that at face value, it's good to know I'm alive, right?

Radone, thanks for the page. I've been ensconced in editing this third book and haven't been on the forums as much for the past month or so. Hoping to have it in the publisher's hands by first of August to see if they're interested.
    We'll see, I often wait for book prices to drop a bit... but if I keep seeing good word on the book, I'll get impatient and buy it.

And you're quite correct about the cost/price, I've noticed it with quite a few books I bought recently from small presses or self-published books. Sellers don't give good discounts one is accustomed to with other books.

But $27 + Shipping is just quite a bit much for me at the moment for the hardcover, which is the version I'm interested in.

About doing self-promo, I'd say with you having over 400 posts in this forum in a 2 year span I'd say doing a bit of it would be welcomed. But other than that, was just surprised of seeing little mention of it here from other members once I've learned that you were a fairly active member here.

Anyways, anything else you can say about the series that would be of interest, like your plans for it if any? How many books, planned target date for the sequel, etc.? But overall from what I've seen word has been quite positive, at least in the places I've looked.

And I don't go to the Writing Forums, other than a couple of times a couple of months back.
    Last edited by Bastard; July 15th, 2010 at 05:14 PM.

Shadow's Lure (June 2011)
    Blog Entries
    Nice review. I'm putting this on my Amazon wishlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Sprunk View Post
    Nice, I already have it in Bastard's Excel Spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    Nice, I already have it in Bastard's Excel Spreadsheet.
    Make sure you add Jon's book, too. That is, if you haven't already read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Sprunk View Post
    It's still funny to me that my Amazon listing "sells frequently with" yours, Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by tdnewton View Post
    Make sure you add Jon's book, too. That is, if you haven't already read it.
    Already bought and read, really liked it. Waiting for the sequel.

We'll see, I often wait for book prices to drop a bit... but if I keep seeing good word on the book, I'll get impatient and buy it.

And you're quite correct about the cost/price, I've noticed it with quite a few books I bought recently from small presses or self-published books. Sellers don't give good discounts one is accustomed to with other books.

But $27 + Shipping is just quite a bit much for me at the moment for the hardcover, which is the version I'm interested in.

About doing self-promo, I'd say with you having over 400 posts in this forum in a 2 year span I'd say doing a bit of it would be welcomed. But other than that, was just surprised of seeing little mention of it here from other members once I've learned that you were a fairly active member here.

Anyways, anything else you can say about the series that would be of interest, like your plans for it if any? How many books, planned target date for the sequel, etc.? But overall from what I've seen word has been quite positive, at least in the places I've looked.

And I don't go to the Writing Forums, other than a couple of times a couple of months back.
    Yes, those discounts have a lot to do with volume, and even if the retailers wanted it there isn't that much of my first print run to go around. I've heard from some folks that they're reluctant to drop $27 on debut authors... admittedly, we are kind of a risky investment! I am giving away 3 hardcover copies on Goodreads, though, to make sure you sign up for that before the 18th.

And 400 posts or not, it still looks a bit narcissistic to self-promote the way I'm sure I would. I don't mind talking on my blog, but this place I guess I hold just a little more sacred.

I can tell you a ton about the series, and my plans for it. I'm finishing up edits this month on my third novel. Neither #2 nor #3 have anything to do with 9A's universe, but starting in August I will be working on both a sequel and a prequel to 9A at the same time. Kind of a strange idea, but I decided to move forward with it. Hopefully those will be finished and released in tandem, but I don't have any dates in mind because I've only written about 5 chapters (total) and come up with half the cast of characters.

This third novel, though, will be similar epic fantasy except a standalone volume in a completely separate world. The second novel is in limbo, since it's a religious satire rather than SF/F.

Already bought and read, really liked it. Waiting for the sequel.
    Same here, my friend. Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Obtuse View Post
    Referring to the comment by E.L. Fay, I want to know how it literally hits the ground running.

I too am irritated when someone says 'literally' when them mean 'really' or 'it happened in an extreme way.'

I just purchased this, and Shadow's Son through bookdepository. Not sure when I'll get to reading either of them though, I have a few other books to read too. We'll see what mood I am in when I finish with The Desert Spear and Retribution Falls.
    Last edited by Haliax; July 15th, 2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: spelling erorr