Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksbane View Post
    I just purchased this, and Shadow's Sun through bookdepository. Not sure when I'll get to reading either of them though, I have a few other books to read too. We'll see what mood I am in when I finish with The Desert Spear and Retribution Falls.
    Fantastic. See Jon, people do buy them together. Odd, eh?

Darksbane, I just read The Desert Spear last month, right before I read Shadow's Son actually. Brett has created a really fantastic world. Very enjoyable. Can't wait for the next one of that series, either.

Quote Originally Posted by tdnewton View Post
    Fantastic. See Jon, people do buy them together. Odd, eh?

Darksbane, I just read The Desert Spear last month, right before I read Shadow's Son actually. Brett has created a really fantastic world. Very enjoyable. Can't wait for the next one of that series, either.
    I enjoyed The Warded / Painted Man well enough, especially towards the end, so I am hoping that he builds on the conclusion of the first.

And I'm horrible for impulse buying online. I saw two titles of books that were recommended in the same thread and therefore I bought them together. And I'm a stickler for nice covers; is the main reason I ended up reading Michael J Sullivan's Riyria Revelations, so hopefully these end up being as good a buy as those were.

Also, I notice now that I spelled Shadow's Son wrong in my original post. Oops.

Shadow's Lure (June 2011)
    Blog Entries
    Hey, whatever works.

Quote Originally Posted by hippokrene View Post
    I too am irritated when someone says 'literally' when them mean 'really' or 'it happened in an extreme way.'
    I don't see the problem with the usage. It's really no different than the usage of idioms, phrases, figure of speech. "The **** hit the fan"... yeah? Where's the **** and the fan? "He let the cat out of the bag"... what cat, what bag? We can play this game over and over.

It's just an expression; nothing more, nothing less. It's also similar to the usage of hyperbole, or do you guys also get conflicted when you hear someone say "he's as big as a mountain"? Because he really isn't, you know?

Sorry for going off-topic, but just wanted to address a pet-peeve of mine.

"Just my 2 cents".

Quote Originally Posted by Darksbane View Post
    I enjoyed The Warded / Painted Man well enough, especially towards the end, so I am hoping that he builds on the conclusion of the first.
    Then you will probably feel the same way about Spear that I did. It will seem like it starts off slowly, but after awhile you'll realize this isn't the case. It's just because Arlen isn't in the picture at the beginning. When he does show up, though, get ready for the fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    I don't see the problem with the usage. It's really no different than the usage of idioms, phrases, figure of speech. "The **** hit the fan"... yeah? Where's the **** and the fan? "He let the cat out of the bag"... what cat, what bag? We can play this game over and over.

It's just an expression; nothing more, nothing less. It's also similar to the usage of hyperbole, or do you guys also get conflicted when you hear someone say "he's as big as a mountain"? Because he really isn't, you know?

Sorry for going off-topic, but just wanted to address a pet-peeve of mine.

"Just my 2 cents".
    "On the other hand..."

I see what you're saying, Bastard, but the word "literally" has historically been less of a figure of speech. People like hippokrene get angry that it's wrangled into a use it wasn't intended for, which in many cases is actually just hyperbole. It just creates odd juxtapositions when people say <an in animate object> literally does anything. Even so, I think she got her point across with the statement, and my follow-up should have removed all doubt.

People are allowed to say what they want, but sometimes that makes it difficult to understand them. That's my stance, anyway.

"On the other hand..."

I see what you're saying, Bastard, but the word "literally" has historically been less of a figure of speech. People like hippokrene get angry that it's wrangled into a use it wasn't intended for, which in many cases is actually just hyperbole. It just creates odd juxtapositions when people say <an in animate object> literally does anything. Even so, I think she got her point across with the statement, and my follow-up should have removed all doubt.

People are allowed to say what they want, but sometimes that makes it difficult to understand them. That's my stance, anyway.
    My final word on this issue, is that I really hate when people make it to be something that's flat out wrong. It's fine not to like it, similar to how many of us don't appreciate teens saying "It's like" over and over. That one says "literally", when it actually isn't "literally" is what brings the hyperbole to life.

In fact, I think the best way to equate it is to sarcasm which maybe similar to this issue might make certain statements difficult to understand. It's all pretty much a lie, which for the most part it's understood that it's a lie, and that being so it serves it's purpose be it being funny, hyperbole, etc.

So while it's not being used for it's intended purposes, it's not being used wrong. It's just an on purpose lie that by all accounts thinking being should understand it as such and not take it at face value.

Just like sarcasm, it can be hard at times to identify what is meant when things are written instead of expressed verbally, but for the most part one can tell. I mean, are we actually wondering if books have legs? I very much doubt it.

That'll be the last of it from my part, while I find these debates fun I want to hear more from The Ninth Avatar. Yet to see any member here express that they've read it, and I very much doubt that's the case. Come on, at least one of you should have tried it no?

That'll be the last of it from my part, while I find these debates fun I want to hear more from The Ninth Avatar. Yet to see any member here express that they've read it, and I very much doubt that's the case. Come on, at least one of you should have tried it no?
    Fair enough.

The only boardgoer I know of who has read it is Seak. He posted his review here. He also rated it on Goodreads. I think, though, since his wife is literally having a baby this week, you probably won't see him respond on this topic...

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

To be honest, the book hasn't been out all that long yet and as has been pointed out previously I haven't "notified" the board about its existence. You have no idea how much of a surprise it was to see this topic.

If you do have any other questions on the book, let me know.

Just remembered that you were giving away 3 hardcover copies in Goodreads and couldn't find where to sign up (not very familiar using the site)... but just noticed it's the 18th. Damn procrastination.
    Last edited by Bastard; July 18th, 2010 at 12:25 PM.

Yeah, it ended first thing this morning. Sorry!

Goodreads.com is a pretty good site. I've been trying to get more involved there, and it has eight reviews now (including Seak's and Cindy's), even if some are only star-ratings.

It's fun to post what I'm reading, and post that I finished it. Makes me feel like I accomplished something.

Yeah, it ended first thing this morning. Sorry!

Goodreads.com is a pretty good site. I've been trying to get more involved there, and it has eight reviews now (including Seak's and Cindy's), even if some are only star-ratings.

It's fun to post what I'm reading, and post that I finished it. Makes me feel like I accomplished something.
    Oh yeah, it's a cool site. I often find early reviews there, but that's just about it... search for a book and see what people are saying. Other than that, I don't know what other features are there, and for example, where to look for the giveaways.

Maybe I should just become a member and see what else they have to offer.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've bought the book, but haven't read it. Just too darn busy. Once read, I'll post a review here.

I read an unpublished draft of Todd's and if Avatar is anywhere near as good as his drafts, then I'm sure you'll all enjoy it.

Yeah, I thought the price was high too, but the book is printed on fairly good stock and it's well designed. Plus the small publisher thing and all.

Todd - you can do all the self-promo you want on this site in the blog section. I'm not sure how much traffic the blogs get, but worth a shot as it's completely free.

Oh yeah, it's a cool site. I often find early reviews there, but that's just about it... search for a book and see what people are saying. Other than that, I don't know what other features are there, and for example, where to look for the giveaways.

Maybe I should just become a member and see what else they have to offer.
    I found Goodreads pretty daunting, at first, which is why I didn't get as "involved" with the site right away. I still don't frequent any of the discussion boards or groups... too many conversations going that it's hard to join mid-way. It is a really good place to see what other people think of a book, particularly one you're considering for purchase and/or a read. If you do sign up, make sure to "friend" me on there.

Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    I've bought the book, but haven't read it. Just too darn busy. Once read, I'll post a review here.

I read an unpublished draft of Todd's and if Avatar is anywhere near as good as his drafts, then I'm sure you'll all enjoy it.

Yeah, I thought the price was high too, but the book is printed on fairly good stock and it's well designed. Plus the small publisher thing and all.

Todd - you can do all the self-promo you want on this site in the blog section. I'm not sure how much traffic the blogs get, but worth a shot as it's completely free.
    Thanks for the votes of confidence, Nila. I'm quite curious to hear what you think of 9A after having read Scions, whether you think the stories are similar, and whether you think the characters are similar, and whether you think my "style" has improved over time. Very interested.

Regarding the blogs and the self-promo... I will look into doing a bit more of it. I've never been proficient at any kind of "sales" because I don't consider myself all that persuasive. Advertising is still a really new realm to me.