Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    I don't see the problem with the usage. It's really no different than the usage of idioms, phrases, figure of speech. "The **** hit the fan"... yeah? Where's the **** and the fan? "He let the cat out of the bag"... what cat, what bag? We can play this game over and over.

It's just an expression; nothing more, nothing less. It's also similar to the usage of hyperbole, or do you guys also get conflicted when you hear someone say "he's as big as a mountain"? Because he really isn't, you know?

Sorry for going off-topic, but just wanted to address a pet-peeve of mine.

"Just my 2 cents".
    I'm a bit late getting back to this discussion because I've been out of town and disconnected for a few days, but I want to clarify a couple things and then we can drop this topic for good.

First, to tdnewton, I completely understood from the beginning what the reviewer's intended meaning was, but I thank you for the clarification any way.

Second, I hear what you're saying, Bastard, about people intending to "misuse" the term and that being akin to sarcasm or hyperbole. I get and don't really have a problem with that. I think, however, that in many cases it's not being "misused" intentionally, but being misused out of ignorance. It's the latter that bugs me.

Well it's not a long book at 374 pages, but it seems like my tbr pile is growing so steadily that I'm not certain I have time for a book that almost no one has read. I go by reviews and ratings and this has almost none on goodreads.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt View Post
    Well it's not a long book at 374 pages, but it seems like my tbr pile is growing so steadily that I'm not certain I have time for a book that almost no one has read. I go by reviews and ratings and this has almost none on goodreads.
    Totally understandable, Pvt. It's tough to want to take a chance on a debut, especially if there aren't many recommendations backing it up. I'm working on this, I promise!

I hope you keep it in mind for the future, and circle back at some point. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Obtuse View Post
    First, to tdnewton, I completely understood from the beginning what the reviewer's intended meaning was, but I thank you for the clarification any way.
    Never doubted you for a second, just couldn't pass up a chance to feel clever. That was a bit of impromptu promo for the novel, there. Can you tell I don't write copy??

Ack, I just looked on that bookdepository site. I have absolutely no idea why the prices are so high there. Amazon has them much cheaper and, of course, the publisher sells them directly for list price.

Trapdoor is also doing a promotional contest. If you fill out one of their puzzles from TheGriddle, and send it in, you get a secret code to put in when you order one or more books. Your order could be free, or you could win an e-reader. They're running this all summer long, and the puzzles are fun anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tdnewton View Post
    Ack, I just looked on that bookdepository site. I have absolutely no idea why the prices are so high there. Amazon has them much cheaper and, of course, the publisher sells them directly for list price.

Trapdoor is also doing a promotional contest. If you fill out one of their puzzles from TheGriddle, and send it in, you get a secret code to put in when you order one or more books. Your order could be free, or you could win an e-reader. They're running this all summer long, and the puzzles are fun anyway.
    Yeah, I thought it was the hardcover when I ordered it, but nope. Oh well, I don't think I would have saved much with Amazon anyways, with shipping. Maybe a couple of dollars. I should receive it later this week, Shadow's Son arrived today and Ninth Avatar was only a couple days behind.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I reviewed 9th Avatar a few weeks ago and at first I did not like what I was reading but as I finally settled down and just went with it, I found myself in for quite an enjoyable ride.

It reminded me of my early days when I was just getting into the genre with Dragonlance and the like. I have such fond memories of that period of time in my life so 9th Avatar won me over with a return to simpler times.

I highly recommend the book and see some great things for Newton in the future.

I'm still working to drum up support. I guess the more reviews I get, the more people will want to read it? That's somewhat logical.

If anyone's read it and wants to post/link to their review, I'd appreciate it.

If there are any questions on the book, itself, or how to best acquire it, let me know.

Finally chiming in. I enjoyed The Ninth Avatar, great characters, lots of action, and lots of imagination. Still can't get over how pretty it looks on the shelf too.

Seak, thanks for chiming in.
    The cover does seem to be people's favorite part of the book, which definitely is not a bad thing.