I am god, yes, but we are man...

Hi everyone.

When I was back in high school I remember reading a Sci Fi novel with the theme that man got to know "God", that he taught man the secrets of the universe, and in the final conclusion of the book God is hiding back on Earth which is now a nature reserve in the form of a deer. When finally caught he says "but I am God" and the reply is "yes, but we are man".

Does anyone know the name or author of this novel? I'm keen on re-reading it to see what I think of it now =)

Cheers,
    Mark

I remember it, but not the title or author sadly. Also my recollection is that it was a short story, maybe in 'Dangerous Visions' by Harlan Ellison. So not much help other than someone else read it and was impacted by it.

And the answer is...

Evensong by Lester del Rey, online at:

http://hermiene.net/short-stories/evensong.html

And I still felt pity at the end of the story. Excellent writing!

Thanks for the tip. I might have to read some more Lester Del Ray stories now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hodma727 View Post
    Evensong by Lester del Rey, online at:

http://hermiene.net/short-stories/evensong.html

And I still felt pity at the end of the story. Excellent writing!

Thanks for the tip. I might have to read some more Lester Del Ray stories now.
    You'll likely find most of his work a bit dated as much of it was written for adolescent boys... though I've always considered him a better writer than Heinlein in that department.

Noted - hopefully I won't be as disappointed as when I re-read Isaac Asimov's Foundation series - that was painfull.

Quote Originally Posted by hodma727 View Post
    Noted - hopefully I won't be as disappointed as when I re-read Isaac Asimov's Foundation series - that was painfull.
    Yet another negative about getting older. Sigh.