In the hallowed burial chambers of Mighty Mouse. Causing havoc with every post,

Question Is This a Good Idea???

I was writing a story recently, and after stopping at page two, throwing it in the trash and doing it all over, I tried something differant. I changed the perspective to an innocent bystander, and the words started flowing easily. Then after that story was written I went back to my origanal main character, continuing the story line.

So my question is, do you think that it would be entertaining to read a collection of short stories that could stand alone, but, would contain a larger story arc, with a differant character portrayed in each one.

Thanks,
    Shef
    Last edited by Shef; July 2nd, 2002 at 10:38 AM.

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    It could be quite interesting. Would you tie them all together in the end? Often different characters travel different paths consecutively in the same book, though they may never meet. When you say that there is a common story arc do you mean that they are all characters in the same world at the same time? Even if they were not, if you develop it well, that common arc could span worlds and time as well. It occurs to me as I write this that this could be a very innovative way of weaving a common thread into a group of stories that seem otherwise unrelated.
    good luck. you know it all depends upon how well you write. any idea is a good one if the writing is great, and vice/versa.

Thumbs up

I like your idea. I've thought of it myself, though I never got a chance to try it. But I think it CAN be interesting if you keep the reader guessing and keep the story-line as much interesting as possible. Plus, if you can make each and everyone of the bystanders an interesting character, it would be very good.

Basicaly, I agree with Gemquest.

Think of the 1st Person POV for the characters, also; unifies you more with the them! (hope this makes sense here )

I thought of writing books like that. Have a different character in each book, tell a storiline of their lives, but also one that links the books and characters together. They may even meet, but the perspective doesn't change.
    And then you bring all of them together in the end, to make into a beautiful finale. It would be great. Even in a smaller scale.

I've done that with two short stories. You are correct- it DOES help get the creative juices flowing.

Mine take place in a city under siege. One is from theviewpoint of a common defender of the city, the other from the Lord of the city.

They are both posted on this site. One is "Siege," the other is "Siege of Toure." They are listed under author name W.A.Straub, Jr. Check them out and let me know if it works!

Feedback is always welcome!

In the hallowed burial chambers of Mighty Mouse. Causing havoc with every post,
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Seeing how all of you guys think it would be interesting, then I shall go for it. I will heed your suggestions, and make the stories the best that I can.

Shef