Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Came Next?

Common sense ain't common Maiablackwolf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What Came Next?

Post-Singing speculation thread. Because we were starting a discussion in another thread and it seemed about time to make this one.

The current conversation was about Nim and Maerad and whether they might have been friends (or even more!) under different circumstances.

One thing I'd have loved to see is how much of the Gift Nim really has. Maerad noted that he had at least something, because he was an unnaturally good navigator. Does it mean that he has a propensity for music too? Can he learn the Speech faster than other normal people (normal people did learn it once in a while; remember Har-Ytan), and might he live a tad longer? I think Maerad might get the chance to find out again if she ever meets him under different circumstances. Especially if he came to Annar! It'd be so cute!

Blog Entries
    I don't love the idea of NxM as much as MxC but it still has its cuteness!!! I never really thought of Nim coming back to visit Maerad, but now I really want to know what happens!! xD

Blog Entries
    Well, he'd almost certainly be a part of the making of any peace treaty, since he has ties to Maerad. I think that once things got a bit better, he might be more willing to leave his grandmother and sister for a while; for some reason I picture the Jussack culture growing a little gentler by necessity after a treaty with the Pilanel, which means he might be more comfortable letting them fend for themselves, at least for a little while. Just because it'd be adorable to see him discover that world beyond, just like he and Maerad were talking about, even though they thought it was something that'd never come true.

Lettuce pie...mmmmm Eyes of Wolf's Avatar
    Considering, I think Nim is incredibly lucky he met Maerad. This way, he's likely to see places and have freedom and do everything he wanted to.

I'm pretty sure that they would have made contact. Maerad would definitely have remembered his kindness to her; after all, she did give him her Pellinor brooch. So they would have been friends, definitely.

Blog Entries
    Exactly. Aww, I just invisioned them meeting again, and he returns the brooch, saying something about it being hers and too valuable to have been given away... so cute!

I wonder, would the Jussacks be more accepting of Maerad because she indirectly brought about Amusk's downfall? They did fear him, despite the fact that he was sort of their leader. Then again, they kind of worshipped Arkan, or at least it was implied; after the Treesong was released, his presence would probably have left the area for the most part, which could leave them feeling a bit lost. That might be good (they admired him because they feared him) or bad (they admired him because they liked him). I think it's fear, though. Remember Gima (that was her name, right?).

Forever singing
    How would've Arkan's presence left after the Release? It was just mutually and universally agreed and thought that the Elidhu never contacted humans again but still lived as they used to?

Blog Entries
    Perhaps you're right; I haven't read The Singing since I bought it, and only now am I rereading, but I've only just gotten to the part in which Cadvan and Maerad leave Innail for the second time. I was under the impression that the Elidhu sort of faded into the earth, so that they kind of became part of it; remember what Hem (or was it Maerad?) thought about Elidhu being sort of like places; Arkan was his mountain and the surrounding area, Nyanar was the Glandugir Hills, and (I find it hard to remember this) perhaps Ardina was Rachida? As opposed to taking on forms such as a human body (all of them but the Landrost, so far as we know) or a stag (Nyanar) or a wolf (Ardina). And I did say 'for the most part', so that he'd still be there, just... not so much a 'he' as a part of the mountains and snow. In effect, I think we're saying almost exactly the same thing.

I don't remember anything about what happened to the Elidhu after the Singing. O.O Maybe my memory is failing, or something. But it seems to me, independently of the book evidence, which I shall have to read again, that they would have still existed, just more as spirits than as real "beings" with powers.

The Jussacks probably feared Arkan more than liked him, but even a harsh master is a master, and he was their defining purpose, so I imagine they would have welcomed being given a new set of tasks to do and settling into a new way of life without fighting the Pilanel.

Blog Entries
    Hmmmm. While I do agree they'd probably have enjoyed the freedom, I also suspect that could possibly lead to more raids on the Pilanel; we see Dharin's disgust for the Jussacks, and even Nim, who is so kind to Maerad, hates the Pilanel vehemently. It's obviously something that was nurtured in both of them from a young age...

The exact sentence used: "a truce was brokered between the Pilanel and the Jussacks in the north-- an effort led, it seems, by Maerad herself."

To me this suggests "I won't steal your stuff if you don't steal mine" as opposed to "let's be best friends!!" Maybe not welcomed the Pilanel, but I agree about a different lifestyle.

Still, I can't see them suddenly becoming harmless farmers... Well, except Nim.

Forever singing
    Wow... From Elidhu to Jussack farmers?!?!?

Elidhu are quite like the Greek Gods, and I think it said many times in the Appendices too. The only difference maybe the intensity and quality of the emotions of Elidhu. Like, the Greek Gods interact often, and they are also shown as having common emotions like jealousy, something which seems lacking in the Elidhu.
    So my analysis is that when the society of Edil-Amarandh was destroyed by meteorites, something changed the balance of the Earth, and because of this cosmic influence and also because of Earth's affected features (magnetic energy, core etc.) it affected the livestyle of the immortal Elidhu. They banished themselves into their elements. Finally, after countless millenia, when humans appeared again, their lifestyle was so different that the Elidhu found themselves interacting with humans as Gods. So under Pellinorite categories, we can say that Elidhu are nothing but the Gods we worship today.

Howzzat?

Blog Entries
    Fascinating, actually. I never thought of it in such a way. I must confess, I stuck a little too much to the fantasy aspect of the book and not enough to the integration of history. It does make a lot of sense, though. Especially considering the allusion at some point to Edil-Amarandh being the basis for the Atlantis concept, no?

Oh yeah, that's true! I was also in fantasy mode, although I did pay attention in the appendices. It would be pretty amazing if some of the gods we know today were the Elidhu. It would invalidate all those religions, though, as the Elidhu really aren't gods. They may seem similar at first, but they're not all-powerful. They can fade away, or be malevolent, which the commonest definations of "Gods" don't usually include. Even seemingly unpleasant gods often weren't/aren't actually regarded as harming human beings on purpose, which the Landrost clearly does. They also work for masters, sometimes; again, the Landrost illustrates that. The gods shouldn't be subject to further rule, while the Elidhu can be, because they're not nearly as powerful as we think of "gods" being. Unless the taskmaster is a "King of the Gods" type being, such as Zeus, we don't usually think of the gods of religions as being servants of anyone, and if they were, we would not worship them.

It's true that the Jussacks wouldn't just settle down, but if a truce was brokered, then there was one. There may have been breaks in that from time to time, but eventually I think the enmity would subside. The generations that still remembered the times before would find it hard to change, but I imagine that by the time of Maerad's death, the Jussacks could have evolved into a more peaceful force. The younger generation would not have remembered the times when the Pilanel were enemies. Closer interaction over the years would have its effects.

Blog Entries
    True, that. Especially if Nim did "become the big chieftan and stop them all" (probably not an exact quotation). That'd be very cute too, though not as cute as him joining the Annar gang. He'd probably know a couple Annaren words from his interactions with Maerad... he taught her his language, so he'd probably pick up a little of hers if she continued making connections. ("Lakmi?" said Maerad. "Eat? I eat?")

Another thing that just came to mind; what about the Titans? Those familiar with Greek myth will know what I refer to. The titans are even more similar to the Elidhu (in my opinion) in that, although they too were sometimes depicted as more humanoid beings. They're more entities than gods, though, from what I know.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titans

Forever singing
    Now it's difficult to think Jussacks turning into farmers... But I'm sure they're prosper even if they turn butchers or "beat-them-up-guys" for the region till the Osidh Elanor and Osidh Nak to the Wise Kindred I guess even though the Pilanel would still be hating Jussacks (that is, the entire older, present; most of the second generation and some of the next three generations), they would prove to be more adaptable and understanding than the barbaric Jussacks.

I did mention the cosmic changes with the balance of the radiations of Earth. Not that I'm much of an sesimic expert or a geologist, but you maybe understanding what I mean when I say "the change in radiations also helped to affect Earth". I've used Earth here to make my point easier to understand.

The link is interesting, you know. You must have done some amount of research on it Titans are definitely pretty much like Elidhu, but their elements are more abstract, you know. Like Atlas, God of Heavy Burdens, Asteria, Goddess of Dreams and etc, while the Elidhu were more of elements which could be experienced, seen, felt and also used.

Blog Entries
    Hahahah. I just pictured Jussacks becoming bodyguards for hire. And yes, the Pilanel do seem overall to be the more open-minded of the two races.

Radiation as in the sun's radiation? That reaches a peak every 11 years, so why would it suddenly change things? Also, what about a poleshift, if those are indeed possible?

A little, yeah. Mostly it was on the gods (studied under both Greek and Roman names/concepts), but there was a bit on the titans too. Comes from the culture aspect of Latin class. Agreed on the point of more abstract concepts, though. Another thing the Elidhu don't share with the gods OR the titans is the fact that they're connected to one particular place most of the time; Ardina is the exception here. Arkan, the Lamedon, and the Landrost have their own mountains, whereas a Greek God would be "god of mountains", and Nyanar has the Glandugir Hills whereas a Greek God might be "god of the fertile earth" (before Sharma, of course) or trees or plants, etc. Ardina wasn't attached to any place, though, was she? Not to the extent of Arkan, the Landrost, the Lamedon, and Nyanar. I mean, she had Rachida, but could leave it without a problem.