Need help remembering a sci fi book

Hi, many years ago I read a sci fi book and want to find it again but can't remember the title (typical).
    I think it was written in the 80s.

All I remember of the book are the following:
    1) the protagonist is an archaeologist with cybernetic eyes.
    2) there is a space ship that has been over run (i think by plants) do to neglect but has a spider shaped pod that can be used to go outside the hull.
    3) pretty sure it ended with a planet that turned the main character into a higher being but not sure about that bit.

Very vague I know, sorry, but if this rings a bell for anyone would be much appreciated have been hunting for this one for years.

Sounds kinda like "Revelation Space" by Alistair Reynolds, but that was published in 2000 or thereabouts.

LOL, it is indeed Reynolds' Revelation Space. In the 2000s. You do need a second reading LostMind.
    There's actually three protagonists: the male archeologist, an assassin woman who becomes a member of the crew, and one of the three leaders of the ship, a woman.
    The ship is overrun by a plague that affects systems that use self-repairing nanotechnology, and has turned the former into a monstrous baroque cathedral.
    The archeologist does find himself absorbed by a neutron star that sidelines as a giant computer matrix.

Thank

That is the book thank you all very much, find bought and read, now onto the others in the series.