Post Help me re-discover a book

I'm hoping that someone here can help me find a book.

Way back when I was in high school, I read a pretty cool science fiction novel that I picked up at my local library. Now I'd like to re-read it, but I can't remember the title nor the author. I probably read the book almost ten years ago, and for the past 6-7 years I have been trying to figure out just what the heck I read so I can pick it up again.

My memory is hazy, but here's what I remember about the book:
    • The author's last name appeared near the beginning of the alphabet; I think it started with "B", but don't quote me on that. Could've been a "D", too. Or maybe something else entirely.
    • I think it maybe had a cover with a black background.
    • I barely remember the plot, but basically this guy -- I think he may have been a programmer -- worked at some place that I think did virtual reality -- kind of like a TV station, but for VR. He helped create a virtual world -- not as advanced as The Matrix, more like the Metaverse from Snow Crash, and it was more for entertainment than a "useful" purpose.
    • He somehow gets implicated in a murder (or maybe it was a set of murders, I can't remember). He didn't do it -- he was set up because he knew too much (I think the company he worked for was doing something nefarious). He gets pursued by the authorities and has to try to clear his name.
    • Somewhere along the way, he joins forces with this young woman who seems to know something about the crime.

I know that description is pretty vague but it's the best my decade-old memory of the book can muster. I'd be ecstatic if it's enough for someone here to point me in the right direction.

Read interesting books
    Sounds somewhat like Eric Brown New York trilogy - book 1 NY Nights

Could this be

Counterfeit World by Daniel F. Galouye also known as Simulacron-3 and whilst I've never read it your description sounds just like the movie 13th Floor which was based on this book.

hth

Neither of those are it, although they do give me something else to read.

Not sure if it's even close but "Virtual Destruction" by Kevin Anderson and Doug Beason.

If anyone's interested, the book is The Shift by George Foy. Thanks to a local librarian, I managed to track it down. If anyone reading this is a librarian, rest assured that you guys totally rock.
    Last edited by mipadi; August 19th, 2010 at 05:04 PM.