Now this gets me down

I just wrote a nice little piece, a Raymond Chandler-ish noir sf thing, which seemed to be going somewhere. Then I go for a cup of tea, and when I get back my crappy computer has crashed. I hadn't saved it of course, and I don't have the motivation to try and rewrite it.
    Well, you could say I won't do that again, I mean not saving it. For the next two weeks or so.
    Damn.

Blog Entries
    Been there done that

It's a pain.... I once had a major crash and had to piece half a manuscript together from floppy discs and sections I had e.mailed to friends....

Not nice and it does break the flow.

This reminds me I must save the piece I am working on at the moment. a very, very nasty dark fairie story.....

Few things are worse than losing all your work and having to start again. Somehow, it never sounds the same second time around.

I feel your pain.

I live in my own little world . . . or one of its suburbs.
    I once spent seven hours editing, then had my computer freeze up before I could save. Another time, I wrote an entire short story, some 15,000 words, and had the same thing happen. So I know where you are coming from. I've become a "save as" nazi ever since. I reccomend you pick the habit as well.

Eloquence & Inebriation Moderator
    Tis one of the most emotionally futile rending lessons I have ever learned. Ah... wait a minute that was the second most emotional and depressing moment. The first one was the time I slow roasted in rock salt an awesome prime rib for this gorgeous gal that I had met at this mall in Anchorage (Dimond Center) and when I took the work of art out of the oven I slipped on a beer I had spill. During my fall I shrieked like a little girl because I thought I was going to scalded by the hot grease. So when I flailed the prime rib got launched into my roommates kitty litter box. The gal thought it was hilarious and couldn't quit laughing at me for at least an hour. I was SOOOOOOOOOO DEPRESSED. I had been toiling over that all day and was drooling, salivating, tummy rumbling hungry for some prime rib. Oh well you live and learn. So I'm always saving my stuff.

I use Word 97, set to 1 minute autosaves. The computer crashes and I start it up again and open up the autosave file.

Lightbulb Idea!

Write a sentance, hit Ctrl + S, write another sentace hit Ctr + S, write another sentace, hit Ctrl + S, and so on.

Hope this helps.

I've started rewriting it. You're right Miriamele, it doesn't seem to be the same this time around. But well, close enough. It'll have to be revised anyway when it's finished.

I ALWAYS use autosave. And I click on save every other minute, almost . I have also had such nastiness as you're describing happen to me in the past