Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

An incomplete song of fire and ice

Just dove into the series without realizing there's three more still unpublished books needed to complete GRRM's aSoFaI.. I'm really enjoying the first book so far (about 100 pages in), but I really don't want to be disappointed by waiting for more content.

I just finished Feist's At the Gates of Darkness and am mortified at the possible wait time for him to finish the riftwar cycle.

Will I experience the same feelings if I continue on reading aSoFaI or should I just read the four that are out anyway?

Thank you!

Just read it anyway.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Talk about opening a can of worms...

A Song of Ice and Fire is one of the most popular, most delayed, most debated fantasy series in existence. There are thousands of people who have spent hundreds of hours discussing, debating, arguing, and complaining about the delays.

The last thing we need is another thread discussing the delay, and I'm not exactly sure what your question is... but yes, you will be waiting a long, long time (e.g. five years per book) for the remaining volumes. However, Book 5 is nearly done and should probably be finished sometime within the next year (hopefully sooner). That leaves two more books for Martin to write after that, so you're looking at at least 6-10 years before the series is anywhere near finished. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    Talk about opening a can of worms...

A Song of Ice and Fire is one of the most popular, most delayed, most debated fantasy series in existence. There are thousands of people who have spent hundreds of hours discussing, debating, arguing, and complaining about the delays.

The last thing we need is another thread discussing the delay, and I'm not exactly sure what your question is... but yes, you will be waiting a long, long time (e.g. five years per book) for the remaining volumes. However, Book 5 is nearly done and should probably be finished sometime within the next year (hopefully sooner). That leaves two more books for Martin to write after that, so you're looking at at least 6-10 years before the series is anywhere near finished. Good luck.
    There's still the possibility that his writing speed will pick up after the latest volume is finished. I'm fully aware this might sound a tad naive in the current situation. But the first three novels in the series were published within four years. I don't see why it would be impossible for the last two books come out in a similar time frame. I'm not claiming they will be, mind you - I'm not that big an idiot. I just think it's not impossible, is all. Martin is not a slow writer per se, and solving the significant plot and timeline issues of the last two volumes may give him a push.

Given that the author is notorious for writing slowly and there are still 3 volumes yet to be published - you will have to wait for a long time, at least 5 years, more probably 7-8, for the series to be finished.

There's still the possibility that his writing speed will pick up after the latest volume is finished.
    Wasn't that what everyone said back in 2004?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeratul View Post
    Wasn't that what everyone said back in 2004?
    Guess so. Hey, you should save that above post of mine and come back to rub my nose in it when I least expect it, some time in spring 2018, on page 102 of the "TWOW - November release?" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatoskr View Post
    Guess so. Hey, you should save that above post of mine and come back to rub my nose in it when I least expect it, some time in spring 2018, on page 102 of the "TWOW - November release?" thread.
    Let's not get our hopes up prematurely. 2018 sounds too good.

Quote Originally Posted by kirk View Post
    Let's not get our hopes up prematurely. 2018 sounds too good.
    Hey, nobody said it would be out then - just that the thread would be on page 102.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk View Post
    Just read it anyway.
    Given what tytus said about not liking long waits, that's probably the worst advice i've seen on this forum for a long time.

Sadist!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Given what tytus said about not liking long waits, that's probably the worst advice i've seen on this forum for a long time.

Sadist!
    I suppose. But telling him to wait until it's completed is probably an even worse one. The series is some of the best fantasy I've come across; I don't think I could tell someone not to read it because it's not finished.

That, AND I'm a sadist. That was very accurate.

And FYI, it's Ice and Fire. Not Fire and Ice. Why do so many newbs say Fire and Ice anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by End Of Disc One View Post
    And FYI, it's Ice and Fire. Not Fire and Ice. Why do so many newbs say Fire and Ice anyway?
    It can't be the movie, can it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatoskr View Post
    There's still the possibility that his writing speed will pick up after the latest volume is finished. I'm fully aware this might sound a tad naive in the current situation. But the first three novels in the series were published within four years. I don't see why it would be impossible for the last two books come out in a similar time frame. I'm not claiming they will be, mind you - I'm not that big an idiot. I just think it's not impossible, is all. Martin is not a slow writer per se, and solving the significant plot and timeline issues of the last two volumes may give him a push.
    Martin could very well have been working on the books for many years before they were published, not to mention it's alot easier to map out a story in the beginning than the middle. It's also a good possibility he simply got bored writing his own characters. Sansa, Catelynn, Bran, Fat Dude on Wall and Daenerys aren't exactly the most exciting characters to write. Even Jon is a pretty boring character. It's no wonder he made Catelynn a zombie to liven it up a little. The last book will come out in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Tytusblade View Post
    ... I really don't want to be disappointed by waiting for more content.
    I don't want to wait three hours at the DMV, but when I do, it will warm my heart to think of all the Song of Ice and Fire fans who'll wait another decade before that series finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by End Of Disc One View Post
    Some say the world will end in fire,
    some in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire,
    I hold with those who favor fire,
    but if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Fire and Ice by Robert Frost
    Last edited by hippokrene; August 7th, 2010 at 10:30 PM.

I too was worried about the wait, which is why I put of starting the series for 14 years or so. A few people around here advised just reading the first three, as there is a sembelence of closure after three books, which seems to have been a good idea. Sure I want to read book 4 but it's better then ending with a bunch of cliffhangers and having to wait years. I will re-evaluate after the 5th book comes out.